Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 201855 times)

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True. On the other hand, in WT I don't feel that I _need_ APCR for most engagements,

You should have tried playing the second tiger before gaijin massively increased the penetration values on most tier 3 tanks.

Imagine having 132 penetration (point blank) against things like the IS-3.
And APCR for it is alllll the way down at tier 4 So you had to grind well over 30k experience with it while using ammo that had problems with penetrating mediums from the front nevermind heavies.

Lucky me then, that sounds abhorrent :) I know that gaijin has some really... lets say odd ideas about balance, at least when considering german tanks. Pen value nerfing, and ballistics of german guns, have at least been raised to somewhat wikipedia-historical levels, and nowadays it seems most players are whining about why german tanks are such eggshells at close range... Which, as I've understood, they were.

Greatest bone to pick with WoT is that mediums are "flankers". Flanking in any given early-mid-game scenario is suicidal, due invisible TDs (yeah, I'm looking at you, Hellcat), tight confines and markers. It kinda invalidates many mediums and some lights.

Edit; I mean, I'd be more than satisfied with mix of WoT and WT that'd use WT engine, "realism", and physics and WoT's grade of grind, deskjob tanks and tighter mm. I hate the concept of detection range, and with it, I'd enjoy WoT more without highlighting and id badges hovering overhead.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:40:57 am by Ant »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are many more fun things in WT.
Russian tanks have 50 cals. Alone it seems pretty ok because MGs can't really destry tanks... but they sure as hell can destroy gun barrels rendering them defenseless.

I wish i was kidding...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, shoot the enemy to face, if it doesnt die, keep shooting the ground in front of him with machine gun(s) to blind him while you reload.

WT calls itself "simulator" so I guess thats realistic. (lol)

On topic: that new map, Overlord, seems pretty good. The first new map or map change in over a year without corridors and only limited hard cover besides the cliff... Have you guys got to play it?

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. Overlord seems to be diced towards T7+ gaming, not one game under that. It's okay, although I'd hesitate to call it laneless. The cliffs are steep enough so most tanks cannot hide and shoot from the top. The eastside has fields surrounded by hills, center... Hey, what's in there? I've gotten Overlord mostly in comet and that's not a tank for that map, at least not center push or hold.

One thing (I promise to shaddup about the other game after this) about the MGs... The T1 M13 SPAA can shred some tanks to pieces with standard belts. Done that. Arguably, it requires peace to circle and pouring fire continuously into weakspots like vision slots, barrel, and engine grate. I'm not making any guesses about "realism" in that. And if anyone goes about WT being simulator... Well, I usually just shrug and let it go. These kind of games IMO cannot ever be simulators in order to bring money to devs and maintain at least moderate amount of players. Enough of my sidetracking, sorry!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I can confirm the M13 to be bonkers. Had one match where my M3 blew up with the first shot without doing much, so I had enough SP to pick the M13. I proceeded to shred like five tanks with it and pretty much hold a cap zone by myself. Glorious freedom cals never fail :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

That's only the case if you absolutely need to have top tier tanks. Which you really don't, the gameplay wasn't/isn't any better than on the lower tiers. The only reason you might want them is because a particular tank looks cool or something, which I guess is a pretty valid reason. In which case I can't really help you since the game was made to milk people like that.

It's not even really that.  I chose the american medium/heavy line, and I don't actually get either until halfway through the line at tier 5.  Until then I got a tank that was fairly mediocre at tier II, a poor tank that becomes more like a turreted TD at tier III, and just a bad, obtuse TD at tier IV.  If I wanted TDs, I would choose a TD line, not a medium tank line.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not even really that.  I chose the american medium/heavy line, and I don't actually get either until halfway through the line at tier 5.  Until then I got a tank that was fairly mediocre at tier II, a poor tank that becomes more like a turreted TD at tier III, and just a bad, obtuse TD at tier IV.  If I wanted TDs, I would choose a TD line, not a medium tank line.

Luckily the XP requirements are tiny in the first 4 tiers. M4 at T5 is a good tank, well worth the two dozen or so games in the M3 Lee!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Luckily the XP requirements are tiny in the first 4 tiers. M4 at T5 is a good tank, well worth the two dozen or so games in the M3 Lee!

So far the only thing the game offered me was disappointment.  This has worn morale very thin.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I can't help but laugh every time someone bitches about the Lee, yes it's a miserable tank, but if you are using it like a tank then you are doing it wrong, it's actually a TD in very poor disguise.  This said by an ex-tanker as well as someone who hated the damned thing until I figured it out.  (I am still amazed that my Lee is the tank I've won the most battles with, though my T1 heavy is currently my best tank.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

It doesn't take the Desert Fox to realize the M3 Lee cannot be used as a traditional Medium tank.  That does not mean it functions very well as a TD, either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tall. Bad gun arcs. Low penetration. Bad camo and mostly non working armor.

Yeah...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

ptw
Black lives matter.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to avoid tank disappointments, just use this "list":

http://www.vbaddict.net/statistics

Those are the tanks that get played often for a reason - either they are good, easy to play, new (like the new french mediums) or they are healthy for your WN8 (looking at you ELC ;)).
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't played in a while, but I have to say that after playing the T1 Heavy, M6 did seem a tad awful. It was the T29 that really stood out, with it's amazing turret armor, though it didn't really shine without 100% crew.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

I  just had a panther rage all over chat at me when I did 1,100 damage to him from ~600m with a KV-2.

Stalin listened.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 251