Poll

Bring this back as an option?

Yes, bring on the magma!
- 38 (84.4%)
No
- 7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make the intro video disaster possible again  (Read 4677 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Make the intro video disaster possible again
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:30 am »

I'm nostalgic of the time when you could actually dig straight into water or magma without prior notice, triggering memorable and disastrous floods. This is even how the DF intro video ends, and it basically can't happen in-game anymore because of the damn "wet/hot stone, digging canceled" interruptions.

So Toady, for the love of floods and magma, I respectfully suggest you make these cancellations optional, so the hardcore among us can seek extra challenge and experience this lost aspect of the DF spirit.

(Those constant cancellations are also very annoying when trying to dig a tunnel under a lake, btw. So some people might want to temporarily turn them off for a specific safe project, to avoid constantly re-desigating dig areas.)

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
Re: Make the intro video disaster possible again
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:54:09 am »

Those constant cancellations are also very annoying when trying to dig a tunnel under a lake, btw. So some people might want to temporarily turn them off for a specific safe project, to avoid constantly re-desigating dig areas.

Seconded. They're a pain even for newer players like me - just got down to the magma sea for the first time and am digging out space for magma forges, but the constant interruptions from a) the magma below and b) the water that happens to be in the cavern right above are not fun (or Fun), and lead to:

Durin Stronginthearm cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Went Insane!
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:52:41 am »

I concur with making this an Init option
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:46 am »

I always thought the ending was the miner uncovering HFS  :-\

Anyway this should become an init or even an ingame option, Digging out furances near the magma sea can be pretty damn annoying. Though I do like the warnings, once mined out a square I thought was safe near the sea. Needless to say I had my whole fort flooded, which then froze due to it being on a glacier.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:22:43 am »

Or, while designating an area for digging, you can toggle "cautious" digging on or off by pressing a key.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

Perhaps have d - normal digging and D - Force digging, basically just meaning they dig out that square irregardless of danger.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 03:59:39 am »

Pretty sure it is. if it was magma it would just pour out. instead, he opens up an empty space and his pick falls in (and IIRC there's a flash of cyan metal too). He then sticks his head in just long enough to get grabbed and pulled in by a clown (presumably of the tentacle, frog, or standard leader variety, since this is pre-vomit blobs).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:18:32 pm »

You can still dig up into water/magma. Designate an up ramp at the end of a hallway in the square below the wall of the water/magma: You never see a damp/warm tile until you've breached.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »

I support this.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:31 am »

Pretty sure it is. if it was magma it would just pour out. instead, he opens up an empty space and his pick falls in (and IIRC there's a flash of cyan metal too). He then sticks his head in just long enough to get grabbed and pulled in by a clown (presumably of the tentacle, frog, or standard leader variety, since this is pre-vomit blobs).
You may be right, but the rush of red light towards the dwarf suggests magma to me. Plus, I suppose that he could have punctured a pocket of pressurized gaz with pressurized magma not far behind it.

It would be fun if Toady chimed in to tell us what it represents :) .

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 06:57:41 am »

I concur with making this an Init option

Rather than init, make it toogleable in O-rders menu.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:04 am »

Go to data\init\announcements.txt and change these two lines:
Code: [Select]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP:A_D:D_D:P:R]
into something like
Code: [Select]
[DIG_CANCEL_WARM]
[DIG_CANCEL_DAMP]
I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

Reading this thread makes me wonder if perhaps this could be tied into the skill of the miner in question.  A talented miner would know if he was about to unleash a flood of magma into the fort, and give some warning, whereas a total novice would blindly hack away until the rock started melting his pick.
Fefeshnelmargalip

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »

You can still dig up into water/magma. Designate an up ramp at the end of a hallway in the square below the wall of the water/magma: You never see a damp/warm tile until you've breached.

Yeah.

Or stairs.  Up stairs and up/down stairs work, too.  I just did this to myself this past weekend.  It was a lot of Fun for sure, since I was expanding the stairwell that went all the way down to my magma workshops.  I learned a lesson that people who have been playing longer than I have knew already: more doors, more hatches.

On the plus side, the intensity of the drama from an unexpected flood and trying to rescue stranded dwarves on landings was incredible.  If I had the option, I'd turn off the warm/damp stone warnings.

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »

If Toady does want to re-introduce this aspect of the game via Init settings, I suggest the default Init setting is to give warnings and/or cancel build. In fact, I rather insist on this because newbies would find such "Fun" in Dwarf Fortress terribly frustrating otherwise. That, and newbies are still learning the game, so they probably don't fiddle around with Init settings. Many first time players probably have no idea about such things.

[Side note: I can understand the allure of game nostalgia. But, personally, I think Dwarf Fortress can be challenging enough as it is. If not, there are already a lot of world creation choices, settings, mods, Challenges, and Megaprojects to add difficulty.]
Pages: [1] 2