Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 103620 times)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:32 am »

What Is It?

Hard mode, put simply. As the name implies, this mod's purpose is to play as Kobolds instead of the usual Dwarves, with a few tweaks and additions to fit the way kobolds play. The biggest difference is that there is virtually no mining of stone, the kobolds are only capable of digging through soil for shelter, and are much more reliant on outdoor production, especially for wood. With these limitations, Kobold Camp is essentially a lower powered DF, with much a much weaker civilization.

There are a few additions that ease the difficulty. Kobolds can farm wood and make leather beds, and so there isn't necessarily a horrible lack of wood.

Also, caravans even with other kobolds will have metal ores and other valuables, and they are able to use and forge gems and bars.

Lastly, as traditional with kobolds, they have a good ability with mechanics and traps. Which is almost a necessity in many cases, as it is much more difficult to raise a kobold military competent enough to fight off a siege.

Why Is It?

It's hard, you'll probably not last through your first seige, and kobolds like dying more than dwarves. Settling next to so much as an alligator will mean bad news for your camp. Yet if you pass all this, if you manage to get a thriving camp/warren going with the cute little things meandering about their business, it all feels quite rewarding over a dwarven instant-pass to invincible-fort.

The Latest Versions

The prepacked, full version

The standalone raws.

Changelog    (Latest 4, the entire log can be found in the readme)

Spoiler: Version 1.51 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Version 1.5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Version 1.4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Version 1.3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:31:12 am by Lagotrope »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (for VER 31.17)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:45:05 am »

Long live kobolds!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:40 am »

I approve of this mod.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:10 am »

Switching my notifications over.. Now!

Although, I moved into a friendly human and 'slapped' him, inciting a mass kobold-hunt..
Isn't this what tends to start early tribal warfare?
That gives me the mental image of a Kobold stood on a rock, slapping a man around the face.

And, since we're in the new thread.. Here's to Kobold Camp! Setting the standard of Kobold fanship since 40d! And, hopefully many more versions to come!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:36:00 am »

I would make it long time ago if not Genesis/Wasteland which took all my DF modding time :).

Did you make hammocks and most of the stone undiggable? Oh well, I think I will just DL and check it.

Also, please make a cool kobold alchemy!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:39:12 am »

Oh, I see you used my healthcare modcomp, awesome.

[REACTION:PROCESS_WOOD]
   [NAME:process wood]
   [BUILDING:WOOD_PROCESSOR:CUSTOM_W]
   [REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:50:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]
NAME:process wood
REAGENT:A:1:STONE
... What?

P.S. Throwing gloves would sound better as a "sling", especially because it's made out of leather.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:40 am »

I would make it long time ago if not Genesis/Wasteland which took all my DF modding time :).

Did you make hammocks and most of the stone undiggable? Oh well, I think I will just DL and check it.

Also, please make a cool kobold alchemy!

I did not make hammocks unfortunately, and it seems I missed any mention of anything of the sort. Not a bad idea at all though, kobolds can use all the wood they can get, and getting beds out of rope reed sounds quite nice.

But yes, the stone issue was fixed, most stone is undiggable once again (unless 31.17 borked it and it is. Aquifers kept coming up through my hasty testing, so I couldn't make sure, but based on changelog/file changes, it should all be the same.)

Alchemy. I would love to see this. I have no idea how to make this.

Oh, I see you used my healthcare modcomp, awesome.

That is correct, it's been in there since fore-

[REACTION:PROCESS_WOOD]
   [NAME:process wood]
   [BUILDING:WOOD_PROCESSOR:CUSTOM_W]
   [REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:50:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:STONECRAFT]
NAME:process wood
REAGENT:A:1:STONE
... What?

Sweet mother of kobold jesus I think I was drunk.

brb KC ver 1.121 bout to come up
EDIT: KC ver 1.121 is up. Nice not having to link it anymore. I also added in the skill rate tag, set at 80%, something I tried to do long ago. I assume it works now.

Also fair point about the sling but a sling already does exist so having two would be rather confusing. Also using a sling to throw hammers sounds silly. Would sound better, but ideally you could tell kobolds to throw them rather than needing a firing mechanism.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:01:38 am by Lagotrope »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:58:24 am »

But yes, the stone issue was fixed, most stone is undiggable once again (unless 31.17 borked it and it is. Aquifers kept coming up through my hasty testing, so I couldn't make sure, but based on changelog/file changes, it should all be the same.)
I'm still not sure about undiggable stone. Digging yourself into a massive inpeneratrible fort of stone is very un-Koboldish, but.. I'd just love to get a Camp running in the first layer caverns.
Actually.. If I can just embark on a cave... Maybe that'll work!

Sweet mother of kobold jesus what
Hehe! Kobold Jesus. He devided the Wolf meat and Carp between a camp of 500!
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:08:23 am »

I'm still not sure about undiggable stone. Digging yourself into a massive inpeneratrible fort of stone is very un-Koboldish, but.. I'd just love to get a Camp running in the first layer caverns.
Actually.. If I can just embark on a cave... Maybe that'll work!

Undiggable as in you can't dig through it, as in you won't be digging yourself through a massive impenetrable fort of stone. So unless you embark in an area with chert/shale I believe it was, you really will just be able to dig yourself a cave in the first few layers were soft soil is. Not really sure what you mean by that, honestly. You can embark on a cave to get yourself some instant-shelter and hideaways and guaranteed death.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.121, for DF 31.17)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:12:12 am »

Any way I can de-notificate myself from the previous thread?

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:12:46 am »

Sorry, I was really unclear. I mean, I wanted to set up a village in the first layer of the caverns. I'm not sure how long Kobolds will last down there, but seeing as their start zone is in the caves anyway, they must be used to it somewhat.
I quite agree that stone isn't really a Kobold's best Architectural material.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:21:54 am »

Any way I can de-notificate myself from the previous thread?

Sorry, I've never had any idea how to use the notify system. I'm hoping that it'll simply not be responded to, leaving it unnecessary to do so.

Sorry, I was really unclear. I mean, I wanted to set up a village in the first layer of the caverns. I'm not sure how long Kobolds will last down there, but seeing as their start zone is in the caves anyway, they must be used to it somewhat.
I quite agree that stone isn't really a Kobold's best Architectural material.

Ahh, yes. Their start zone always has been in the caves, way back when the caves weren't exactly pits of doom. I hope you have better luck than I did. Last time I embarked on a cave, there was literally a hydra on the kobold's wagon at the start.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:32:26 pm by Lagotrope »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:30:40 am »

I have had a lot of fun embarking on top of caves with nothing but some meat, spears and leather armour.  It will either be a very short game or a fun cave exploration game that starts with 200 units of meat and a <<dragon scale cloak>> for your expedition leader.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »

That'd be great, if I could assign clothes to people!

But.. If there's a hydra, doesn't that mean it can bite each of your 'Bolds, all at once?

Of course, Megabeasts wouldn't be such a problem if DF hack was working! *sigh*

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 07:27:57 pm »

Huzzah! Right when I was thinking that a Kobold adventurer would be pretty sweet, too. I eagerly anticipate the day that quests are moddable, so that Kobld Chiefs will quest me to steal from fortresses rather than kill random beasts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26