Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 104286 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.121, for DF 31.17)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:08:39 pm »

I noticed goblins are now hostile again. Is this intentional?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »

But.. If there's a hydra, doesn't that mean it can bite each of your 'Bolds, all at once?

That's the gist of what happened, yes.

I noticed goblins are now hostile again. Is this intentional?

Heh, I never knew they WEREN'T hostile. I think it depends on randomated world-gen. I think if you add babysnatcher they might be friendly, but then humans/elves won't like you, and even then I'm not sure. It's actually been quite awhile since I've tested camps for lengths of years, generally I just make sure the reactions work, nothing in the errorlog, etc.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:49 am »

yeah, in the previous 2010 versions goblins were friendly, and all other races were hostile. Now they're all hostile...
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:43 am »

KFC, perhaps?

Kobold Fried Chicken. *drool*
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 03:09:52 am »

yeah, in the previous 2010 versions goblins were friendly, and all other races were hostile. Now they're all hostile...

Huh, that's strange. I'm willing to say it was something in the normal changes to vanilla DF (adversely most likely), because there hasn't been a change in KC that I could imagine change the interactions between entities whatsoever.

In other news, more messing around with adventurer, I made kobolds dwell in towns instead of the normal caves, so that they show up in the world map when you create a kobold adventurer. This worked (and I didn't end up attacking people after talking to them), however, it seems to treat you as an enemy when you go to a different hamlet, even if it's part of the same civilization (or should be anyway.)

So it's not impossible, it's just a bit rougher having to only get quests from one hamlet, it makes that the one little spot you can go to, a tiny little safe haven. Which I wouldn't actually mind, but going to a hamlet 2 hours away and having the kobolds zerg rush you is a little disenchanting. I may work on this, seeing if there's something fixable about it, when magical inspiration hits me to do so, as well as work on various suggestions for KC dwarf mode. Maybe make them be in forest retreats, that may work well, even better. (I haven't seen a kobold town or fortress, but that may just be me trying to not die.)

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 03:16:21 am »

I belive Deon discovered that being attacked by supposedly friendly towns is a cause of the [LOCAL_BANDITRY] tag which I see 'bolds have.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:19 am »

I belive Deon discovered that being attacked by supposedly friendly towns is a cause of the [LOCAL_BANDITRY] tag which I see 'bolds have.

Yes, I.. was just about to post my findings here by editing my last post after discovering it was that tag. But it appears that I simply re-invented the wheel. Oh well, problem is solved.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:59 am »

Any way I can de-notificate myself from the previous thread?

Sorry, I've never had any idea how to use the notify system. I'm hoping that it'll simply not be responded to, leaving it unnecessary to do so.

Sorry, I was really unclear. I mean, I wanted to set up a village in the first layer of the caverns. I'm not sure how long Kobolds will last down there, but seeing as their start zone is in the caves anyway, they must be used to it somewhat.
I quite agree that stone isn't really a Kobold's best Architectural material.

Ahh, yes. There start zone always has been in the caves, way back when the caves weren't exactly pits of doom. I hope you have better luck than I did. Last time I embarked on a cave, there was literally a hydra on the kobold's wagon at the start.

how do you embark in caves?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 05:38:48 am »

how do you embark in caves?

You find a cave, and then you embark on it.

You probably have to go generate a world with parameters though, I believe something like "show tunnels on embark" or something to make caves visible. Then they should show up as boulders, and you embark on them. You'll still start above ground, but the entrance to the cave will be there.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

I played Kobold Camp back in 40d and had a nice little camp going: in fact we regularly destroyed enemy sieges with legendary wrestler champions equipped with turtle shell helmets and bone armor and when the Dungeon Master arrived we were able to smelt all the enemy goods and forge them into armor and weapons for our men.

I don't see why you have to make stone undiggable though? Kobold thieves coming to my fort are routinely equipped with bronze or steel daggers, which implies that they are able to smelt metal and dig up the ores for them.

I could see having a custom workshop to make obsidian or flint weapons (that are actually obsidian and not just listed as wood training weapons), or a custom workshop to turn copper, gold or iron nuggets into weapons and goods without using smelting or furnace operating.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »

They probably steal those weapons. They are master theves after all.

As for the weapons, I thought you could do that with the Armoury shop already.. But, I'll admit, I never really got that far into a camp.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »

Why not add some copper, tin, gold, and silver ores that sometimes show up in soil layers? Then you can make a workshop that lets Kobolds cold forge them.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:16 pm »

Soils don't ever leave materals. Setting native copper as a soil layer would render it useless.

You can often find ores in cliffs and waterfalls, however.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »

I didn't mean that they should be made into soils. I was thinking of clusters or veins that appear in soil layers. And, yes you can make soil layers that leave rocks; just look at how Deon does peat in his genesis mod.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:56:41 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:57 pm »

Ohh, I didn't realise that clustering worked on soil types. That's not too bad of an idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26