Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 103768 times)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.121, for DF 31.17)
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 05:55:37 pm »

I played Kobold Camp back in 40d and had a nice little camp going: in fact we regularly destroyed enemy sieges with legendary wrestler champions equipped with turtle shell helmets and bone armor and when the Dungeon Master arrived we were able to smelt all the enemy goods and forge them into armor and weapons for our men.

I don't see why you have to make stone undiggable though? Kobold thieves coming to my fort are routinely equipped with bronze or steel daggers, which implies that they are able to smelt metal and dig up the ores for them.

I could see having a custom workshop to make obsidian or flint weapons (that are actually obsidian and not just listed as wood training weapons), or a custom workshop to turn copper, gold or iron nuggets into weapons and goods without using smelting or furnace operating.

It's a mere design choice; and the undiggable tags are the only changes to that file. If you like your stone diggable, just copy/paste the two vanilla .txt files (inorganic_stone_layer/mineral) and replace the old, modded ones. However, copper/silver/gold/platinum is left diggable, the challenge is to find them. KC isn't some copyrighted mod by me, no one's gonna shun you if you change kobolds to match how you imagine them to be.

As for custom workshops... they're already there. Assuming they haven't broken on me, you can make your weapons out of copper/obsidian/whatever. Most are pretty self-explanatory, but there's descriptions in the readme.

Why not add some copper, tin, gold, and silver ores that sometimes show up in soil layers? Then you can make a workshop that lets Kobolds cold forge them.

The veins in the soil idea, not a bad idea. Unfortunately I don't mod nearly as much as Deon and my knowledge reflects that; I'm just not sure how I'd go about modding that in. Or wood crops. Or alchemy. But I may learn yet. For now, I'm porting over to 31.18, may see about making a few of those non-shallow changes, I'll see if something hits me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:19:14 pm by Lagotrope »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »

I noticed something odd... if you remove the shovels at embark, it seems you can't get them back...

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »

I noticed something odd... if you remove the shovels at embark, it seems you can't get them back...

Fantastic I thought I fixed that. It's annoying, but it's not game-breaking once you learn to not remove them. Might have something to do with your embark location, though, I seem to recall if there wasn't another civ of kobolds around, it wouldn't let you bring along certain things. Been so long, though.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 01:19:24 am »

The veins in the soil idea, not a bad idea. Unfortunately I don't mod nearly as much as Deon and my knowledge reflects that; I'm just not sure how I'd go about modding that in. Or wood crops. Or alchemy. But I may learn yet. For now, I'm porting over to 31.18, may see about making a few of those non-shallow changes, I'll see if something hits me.
Shouldn't you just be able to add [ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100] into the ores you want to show up in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt? I put Cluster instead of vein because vein just seemed too big to me.
As for wood crops I believe you just make a crop that is inedible, uncookable, unbrewable, etc. and make a reaction to turn it into a log.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:56 am »

Shouldn't you just be able to add [ENVIRONMENT:SOIL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100] into the ores you want to show up in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt? I put Cluster instead of vein because vein just seemed too big to me.
As for wood crops I believe you just make a crop that is inedible, uncookable, unbrewable, etc. and make a reaction to turn it into a log.

Yes, that's precisely what I did for the soil, that wasn't too hard once I looked up some modding. I just didn't know it off the top of my head. However, for some reason I thought vein was smaller than cluster_small, so I'll fix that next release.

Wood crops.. can't believe I didn't think of that, to make a reaction from a normal plant. Thanks for the tipoffs, I really am rusty at this. Since wood is straightforward like that, it'll also be applied next release.

Squeak_Rustfur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.13, for DF 31.18)
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 03:31:23 am »

I love this mod.

There does seem to be rather a lot of precious metal laying in the dirt now. My 'bold just tripped over two gold veins and one platinum vein on the way to the weapon shop.

In reality, aside from maybe the occasional placer deposit of something inert like gold, native metals just don't appear in soil... then again, dwarven geology does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

edit: First post! Yay me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:38:44 am by Squeak_Rustfur »

Squeak_Rustfur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 03:41:22 am »

I love this mod.

There does seem to be rather a lot of precious metal laying in the dirt now. My 'bold just tripped over two gold veins and one platinum vein on the way to the weapon shop.

In reality, aside from the occasional alluvial placer deposit of something inert like gold, native metals just don't appear in soil... then again, dwarven geology does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

edit: First post! Yay me.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 03:49:37 am »

I love this mod.

In reality, aside from maybe the occasional placer deposit, precious metals and ores just don't appear in soil layers... then again, dwarven geology does need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes, definitely didn't mean to have soil be goldmines perse. I've changed it cluster_small, so it shouldn't be breathing the precious metals, I'm just having trouble with the crop. In any case, reality has been changed for this case, as I don't think it makes the game too easy. The best weapons you can make are still copper, the best advantage is likely having the precious metals made into tradeable materials.

In other news, only thing I believe left to do for ideas is get those crops up. The crops exist, but trying to turn them into wood.. well that works too, problem is is that kobolds seem to be able to use anything, not just the kobold lumber plant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are the two reactions used, one for the log at a detriment to seeds, the other to get more seeds over logs. Never was able to get a grip on item/material subtypes. I'll toy around with it though, it should work before too long.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 01:06:13 pm »

I remember doing something similar myself at one point but I seem to have deleted it oh well.

If you're having to much trouble you could try using reaction classes that might help.

You could also look at the sawmill mod I believe it does the same thing.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65844.msg1556971#msg1556971

Squeak_Rustfur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 04:04:32 am »

It seems that my 'bold adventurers are getting renamed after every notable kill. Something to do with the [UTTERANCES] tag scrambling the title they are give after the kill I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:11:20 am by Squeak_Rustfur »

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 05:27:17 am »

I remember doing something similar myself at one point but I seem to have deleted it oh well.

If you're having to much trouble you could try using reaction classes that might help.

You could also look at the sawmill mod I believe it does the same thing.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65844.msg1556971#msg1556971

Ah, thank you, I can implement this. The problem was, as expected, that I just don't get where what matgloss/item (sub)type goes where.

It seems that my 'bold adventurers are getting renamed after every notable kill. Something to do with the [UTTERANCES] tag scrambling the title they are give after the kill I suppose.

How strange.. I just noticed it myself. It's fixable I think, just remove the utterances and then the translations in the entity file so it doesn't pick up the kobold.txt. If I recall that would still have names like Cheebis or Bigithribus or whathaveyou, and may solve the issue. I'll test it out, see if it works.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 06:34:24 pm »

Ah, just a warning from my experiences.
When I tryed reinstating utterances in the .16 version, I removed the language file without actually adding utterances.
I ended up recieving migrant waves of 'bolds without names, but with job titles.
It was weird, though suddenly a lot easier to see who did what.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 11:46:05 am »

Ah, just a warning from my experiences.
When I tryed reinstating utterances in the .16 version, I removed the language file without actually adding utterances.
I ended up recieving migrant waves of 'bolds without names, but with job titles.
It was weird, though suddenly a lot easier to see who did what.

Huh, not sure if I have matching experience. For one thing, the 31.16 (and beyond) should already have [UTTERANCES] in the kobold creature entry. But yes if you delete the .txt language file and there's no utterances, then I believe what happens is that the skulking entity token still sees [TRANSLATION:KOBOLD] and so looks for a kobold.txt that doesn't exist, thus blank entries. If you remove the utterances tag AND the translation tag from the respective files, I think they still get kobold names.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
I removed the translation tag, but not the translation file.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sparklet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

Fantastic mod.  It is the only one I have used to date, even if My Kobolds keep getting butchered by Elves.

I am looking forward to the ability to grow trees, it will make building defensive positions a lot easier.

Does the [BONECARN] tag stop Kobolds from eating plants?  I have tried to search but all I have seen is that it implies [CARNIVORE] which sounds like a no plants kind of deal.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26