Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 104302 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)
« Reply #345 on: October 02, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

Yes, unless you smelt it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »

its a ORE. who uses ORE for building?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sradac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 28, 2012, 12:07:28 pm »

So, I havent had a chance to download this mod yet but its looking pretty awesome, minus 1 feature.

I've been reading the release notes and comments, and I have not seen it mentioned anywhere to give your kobold civilization the ability to do the 1 key kobold thing thats makes them as cool as they are: thievery!

If I am wrong, completely disregard this, but as I said I dont see it anywhere.

So here is my idea on how this could be implemented while working withing current DF mechanics:

AFAIK, there is no way to have a member of your civilization "leave" the map and come back later, which is why I cant launch counter attacks against those goblins that murdered 30 of my dwarves including children yesterday!!!!

Anyways, here is a way I think you could work around this with a workshop type:

The Thieves Den (Feel free to think of a better name)

It is a workshop type that is a little hut / dugin area.  Kobolds can use this for different job types such as Planning (Increase the success for stealing jobs), Scouting (Increases the chance of a kobold getting better goods, and to NOT DIE), and actual thieving missions.

In order for this to "work" you would need to simulate your kobold "leaving" and I think you could accomplish this by having the kobold "lock them selves in" to the den (Like when someone gets a strange mood and they lock themselves in a workshop).  That way it will be as if they are no longer on the map since they will do nothing but sit in the den, but in reality they are.

Once the job is done, they leave the den and carry about their business.

For the final part of "realism" for this, and I dont know if its possible, restrict the building of this workshop to only being able to be built at the edge of the map.  That way, it will be as if the kobold is "embarking" from the map for this location, and they return there when the job is done.

So with proper planning and scouting, a kobold might return from a thieving job after 2 or 3 months with something really nice or useful.  A barrel of meat, some metal bars, a weapon, some armor.  With poor planning and scouting, a kobold might come back with some garbage like a barrel of plump helmets or just a little bit of booze.  Or they might just die.  Thats always possible.

Not only would it really make the Kobolds feel complete, it would add another dimension to them and their survival.  Having serious problems with meat?  Train up your thieves with scouting and planning missions, send em out, and pray they dont do something stupid like getting themselves killed.

Maybe even give them target "types" to influence what they come back with.  You might not be able to say "Come back with a barrel of prepared water buffalo meat"  because that might not even be available wherever they go, but setting meat as a target could INFLUENCE them to snatch that.  It is no guarantee, because maybe they get spotted by those lousy dwarves and they just grab the first thing they see.  So they come back with a wonderful wooden chair...

Ideas?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #348 on: December 28, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

Remotely possible. You can lock them in by transforming them into something immobile. You cant restrict the workshop to the map-edge, or affect chances of success by adding items, except you do write a lot of reactions. And I mean literally hundrets, especially considering that you want to target specific goods to be stolen as well. But in essence, it would be possible. I only wish it would be less... clutchy ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:39 am »

So, I havent had a chance to download this mod yet but its looking pretty awesome, minus 1 feature.

I've been reading the release notes and comments, and I have not seen it mentioned anywhere to give your kobold civilization the ability to do the 1 key kobold thing thats makes them as cool as they are: thievery!

If I am wrong, completely disregard this, but as I said I dont see it anywhere.

So here is my idea on how this could be implemented while working withing current DF mechanics:

AFAIK, there is no way to have a member of your civilization "leave" the map and come back later, which is why I cant launch counter attacks against those goblins that murdered 30 of my dwarves including children yesterday!!!!

Anyways, here is a way I think you could work around this with a workshop type:

The Thieves Den (Feel free to think of a better name)

It is a workshop type that is a little hut / dugin area.  Kobolds can use this for different job types such as Planning (Increase the success for stealing jobs), Scouting (Increases the chance of a kobold getting better goods, and to NOT DIE), and actual thieving missions.

In order for this to "work" you would need to simulate your kobold "leaving" and I think you could accomplish this by having the kobold "lock them selves in" to the den (Like when someone gets a strange mood and they lock themselves in a workshop).  That way it will be as if they are no longer on the map since they will do nothing but sit in the den, but in reality they are.

Once the job is done, they leave the den and carry about their business.

For the final part of "realism" for this, and I dont know if its possible, restrict the building of this workshop to only being able to be built at the edge of the map.  That way, it will be as if the kobold is "embarking" from the map for this location, and they return there when the job is done.

So with proper planning and scouting, a kobold might return from a thieving job after 2 or 3 months with something really nice or useful.  A barrel of meat, some metal bars, a weapon, some armor.  With poor planning and scouting, a kobold might come back with some garbage like a barrel of plump helmets or just a little bit of booze.  Or they might just die.  Thats always possible.

Not only would it really make the Kobolds feel complete, it would add another dimension to them and their survival.  Having serious problems with meat?  Train up your thieves with scouting and planning missions, send em out, and pray they dont do something stupid like getting themselves killed.

Maybe even give them target "types" to influence what they come back with.  You might not be able to say "Come back with a barrel of prepared water buffalo meat"  because that might not even be available wherever they go, but setting meat as a target could INFLUENCE them to snatch that.  It is no guarantee, because maybe they get spotted by those lousy dwarves and they just grab the first thing they see.  So they come back with a wonderful wooden chair...

Ideas?

I definitely would have loved to include some sort of thievery act or workaround, but there are a few reasons why I haven't.

First off, I've been neglecting the mod just plain too much as is, I haven't even got around to tiny little fixes such as a couple typos and quirks. Secondly, and goes hand in hand with the first, I haven't been keeping up with the newer aspects of modding. And thirdly, Meph said much of what I would say, only shorter.

For instance, to 'lock' a kobold in as a workaround to having them act as though they are off the map may be troublesome. The locking themselves in via a strange mood isn't something that can be freely called upon, and even if it was, then they wouldn't be able to eat or drink and could very likely die while in there. It may have to be what meph suggested, to transform them into an inanimate object. However, I also don't know how plausible that is. By all means I'd love to be directed/shown what can be done with this, but I could see it inviting a plethora of issues. It would have to be possible to make them not have to eat or drink to circumvent that issue. And to reiterate, it is impossible to say that such and such building can only be built on the edge of the map, but that isn't the biggest deal anyways.

I think that is the main barrier though, the issue of just locking them in the workshop. There are many reactions needed. but it's doable. Scouting/planning, if it works like that, might just yield an actual item for 'blueprints' and 'maps' or somesuch, and the Den could have reactions that require those items, and simply have better items/higher probability of success. Been so long I'm not sure how easy doing that would be.

And then there could be major issues that would fly in the face of the emulation. For instance, a siege could just so happen to come by right through the workshop's path and kill the kobold locked in there, despite supposedly being out in the field. Overall, I do think the best case scenario would only work under controlled environments and still feel pretty hacky overall.

In short, again I'd love to have this included, but I think that current implementation just isn't adequate to do so decently. I am hoping for the eventual case of being able to send citizens off the map on customizable missions so that kobold thievery can be a legitimate thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »

You could have a look at the expedition system in my mod, it is exactly the same. Instead of a starting point, you could make the workshop look like a tunnel, and have kobolds dissappear from the map that way. Would also make sense for them to evade siegers like that.

What happened to the crude metalworking and shamans, and fur from animals ? I see parts of this in the raws, or see it mentioned in the thread, but its not a feature of the mod (?)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 04, 2013, 12:27:21 am »

You could have a look at the expedition system in my mod, it is exactly the same. Instead of a starting point, you could make the workshop look like a tunnel, and have kobolds dissappear from the map that way. Would also make sense for them to evade siegers like that.

What happened to the crude metalworking and shamans, and fur from animals ? I see parts of this in the raws, or see it mentioned in the thread, but its not a feature of the mod (?)

I think I trimmed some of the more deprecated parts of the mod that built up over time, but as a result some actually wanted features got removed. I'll put them on the todo list if they're not already, for when I get around to making an update.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #352 on: January 04, 2013, 12:37:15 am »

I do ask, because I did add it as an optional feature into my modpack and would like to improve it if possible.

Is there any part of your to do list that I could help with? I can also make any part of the masterwork mod available for this.

I also made a Kobold head logo, for my GUI. Looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2013, 12:51:49 pm »

i REALLY dont like the no stone. can't there be, say, a single type of stone boids can dig and get material from?
also, can there be a ziped download? i dont have anything that can get into RAR files and i REALLY dislike WinRar.

I missed this one, sorry for the incredibly late reply. I believe Chert and some other stone can be dug into, still, by default. However, if you want to be able to dig through all stone, it isn't too hard to change. From the base folder, in \raw\objects\, there are two files called inorganic_stone_layer.txt and inorganic_stone_mineral.txt. They're modified for KC, but you can just replace them with the vanilla DF versions of those files, and they'll become diggable.

I can be mistaken, but isnt ITEM_TOOL_CHUNK missing from the download (I tried the raw-only version)

This is very likely a mistake on my part, not me deciding not to include it. I don't remember it, so I'll have to take a look again to make sure that is actually the case.

In regards to shamans, as of 1.3 the altar reactions were removed "until working properly", so something needed reworking there. I don't recall what that was, but chances are I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I believe metal shaper was removed, because in the end I allowed for furnace operation, weapon/armorsmithing etc. Since that stuff could be done through vanilla means, it became redundant for the metal shaper building and reactions therein. As usual, caravans would likely be needed for the bulk of copper/silver/etc retrieving by default. Once altars are back in, that'll likely include means of gaining such materials. I believe I made it so that Ore would appear in soil layers and be diggable there, but I don't remember if this was tested successfully. There are also reactions in the craftsbold workshop I believe that allow for breaking down metal equipment and getting the metal back. Except that might have been made redundant as well, since I'm pretty sure furnace operation covers that. I'm going to need to actually play a fort to remember what is even going on.

I still just have no idea what happened to getting fur from animals. Might need to just fix that from scratch or do something new with it.

Is there any part of your to do list that I could help with? I can also make any part of the masterwork mod available for this.

Thanks for the offer. I think the biggest thing that would need work is just Altar working since apparently that got messed up somehow. Also the re-introduction of fur from animals, my memory is so shoddy I don't even remember that. I would also certainly be willing to give a Thieves Den building a shot and see how that can turn out.
Otherwise, the other stuff in the post pretty much covers the To Do list as I know it, if you have input there.

When it comes down to it, if I get handed the raws for stuff, I'll throw them in and see how they work. Like I said, I need to thoroughly playtest a fort or two anyways, not just load it up and make sure it doesn't crash.

I also made a Kobold head logo, for my GUI.
That is some pretty fancy stuff you've included in your mod.

Actually, I think I forgot to mention before, I also just haven't been keeping up this mod for awhile since I more or less wanted to tie it off for the time being, and pick it up again when a new major release is had. No idea when that might be though, if an ETA was mentioned, then I missed it. Either way, there's still all that stuff that I'd like to add/re-add first.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:01:57 pm by Lagotrope »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #354 on: January 04, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »

In that case you better play a few forts, and see what needs to be done on your end. I will look through my mod, and see what yould fit the kobold theme, and if I find anything, I will post some raws. For example a "wolfs den" building that lets you spawn a couple of guard-wolves I personally would like.

ETA on the next version has not been posted, but there wont be much for fortress mode anyway. Mostly Legends and Adv. Mode. Multiple-tile trees and mushrooms will be in fort mode... besides that, no idea what else made it.

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:26 am »

If I am not mistaken, some guys said the next release date is planned to be in March:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120440.msg3876436#msg3876436

And I would also like to see Kobold camp being developed further: add thieving and other cool stuff. Really like the idea of this mod, especially since it will be in Masterwork now.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2013, 04:10:54 pm »

I noticed that you dont have full sprites for the bolds... beefmo Solifuge made a kobolds grphic pack a while ago, I ported it to 34.11 with the new animated tags, and added a brown/generic background, the way the phoebus graphics are set up.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:52:25 pm by Meph »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »

I'd love to see a new version of Kobold Camp one of these days. Always loved the mod.

I did a bit of a double take when I saw those sprites though, Meph... I remember what Beefmo's Kobolds looked like, and these looked like ones I thought I'd drawn (though I didn't recognize a lot of them). I did a little archive-diving to settle my confusion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27088.msg786373#msg786373

I'm not a stickler for getting credit or whatever, but I'm curious how mah doods got there. Did Beefmo end up merging those sprites with his old pack, or did someone expand on them between then and now? Whatever the case, your new port looks nice! I especially like the hats made of skulls... and some of the zombie soldiers remind me of Ninja Turtles. :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #358 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »

The beefmo graphics you posted are his gnomes. I found the sprites in an old version of digdwarvier/digdeeper, and all race-sprites have a "beefmo" at the bottom, except three. Templars, darkevles and koboldz. I naturally assumed that all were done by beefmo, because there was no other name of any author to be seen.

I am sorry, these are indeed yours then.

And to clarify I didnt make any of those, not even the skull-hats or zombies. I only added the background, because it was the old pink style. All professions were already done.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:57:05 pm by Meph »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2013, 02:19:23 am »

Really, it's not even an issue. I was mostly surprised they were still around, and wondered who expanded on them, and when. Also, the graphics I linked definitely weren't first intended as Gnomes, but maybe they were used for them in DigDeeper? Here's the original Beefmo graphics thread, to support that point. Somewhere, there were even some half-completed elf sprites in his style, which might be of use if elves aren't already taken care of.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26