Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 104353 times)

LordBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.14, for DF 31.18 last update 11/25)
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2010, 09:32:44 pm »

Hi pretty new to modding and I don't want to press the issue too far.

That said, I love this veriant of the game. The tiles are great and the mechanics of it all make the game that much better. Now I don't know if it has been answerd yet, I found nothing but what GaxKang has said. I can't get the critter kitchen to work right. When I just add the stated value to the raw, nothing happens to the captured vermin. though I can get the remains to turn into food, and even get them stored in the stock pile.

This is what I did:

[REACTION:COOK_CRITTER]
   [NAME:cook critter]
   [BUILDING:CRITTER_KITCHEN:CUSTOM_C]
   [REAGENT:A:1:REMAINS:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:MEAT:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:COOK]

Now it had a second PRODUCT line, but that just turned the remains into ash... Now though I get Rat/Lizard chops. Anyway all this is nice, and makes life on my little ice shelf that much easyer, but having the cats catching an infanite food supply is making a difficult/awsomly fun game mod void of a key challange. So I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten the Critter Kitchen up and running? If so what do I need ot change?

Thanks in advance, please don't snap at me :)

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2010, 10:11:18 pm »

Just a thought?
What about having an alternate to a bed called a 'nest.'
Could be made of cloth.

Also, why not have two kobold civ styles, the one players do (with an actual civ) and the cave dwelling cousins we have learned to fear (which is easily imitable)?
Otherwise, keep up the awesome work!
When in doubt:  More Lever!

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2010, 05:02:26 am »

The only real issue I've noticed is that irksome bit with digging implements disappearing if you deselect them at embark. It's probably a pretty simple fix, just a missing entity tag, or something, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Yes, I think I was able to fix this *once*, but it had to mess with the tags in ways that I didn't want to implement. Fixing that with no adverse effects has been a longtime issue that I just can't seem to pin. Unfortunately this was some months ago, and I've forgotten how precisely it worked. I haven't stressed over it too much, since it's annoying but not game breaking (once you realize the issue anyway).

Hi pretty new to modding and I don't want to press the issue too far.

That said, I love this veriant of the game. The tiles are great and the mechanics of it all make the game that much better. Now I don't know if it has been answerd yet, I found nothing but what GaxKang has said. I can't get the critter kitchen to work right. When I just add the stated value to the raw, nothing happens to the captured vermin. though I can get the remains to turn into food, and even get them stored in the stock pile.   

I totally forgot about that shop. I think. I don't remember if I forgot, but I know I had some issues with it. I'll try to fix it up next release though, I believe there's been enough notes around now that I can work better with meat in reactions. Not sure why I'd snap at you though.

Just a thought?
What about having an alternate to a bed called a 'nest.'
Could be made of cloth.

Also, why not have two kobold civ styles, the one players do (with an actual civ) and the cave dwelling cousins we have learned to fear (which is easily imitable)?
Otherwise, keep up the awesome work!

Yes, I forget who, but I believe someone mentioned the idea of putting in beds made with rope reed. And I do enjoy the idea of furthering the purpose of farming, what with the agriculture economy taking a hard hit with the [CARNIVORE] tag.

As for 2 kobold civs.. I played with the idea, but I think I scrapped it. Even had it written out for maybe 15 minutes. I may re-consider the idea though. There are a couple things that muck it up in my eyes that prevented me, but it's not a terrible idea by any means.

WARNING: FOLLOWING EXPLANATION IS WORDY AND MOST LIKELY ASININE AS IT'S ME TYPING OUT LOUD

For one thing, it'd be confusing having 2 civs with the same race around, as it usually doesn't distinguish so it would look like kobold is listed twice in a lot of areas. With the same language and creature, it would get real doppleganger-like, except with civ's instead of people.

This could be avoided with naming the player kobolds, say, cutebolds, but something about it bugs me. It's arbitrary preference one could argue, yet it would seem to disassociate cutebolds with kobolds more than I'd like. As in, cutebolds are kobolds interpreted in a cute style ala weaver/gobbo/rubyquestguy/boxdog/whateveryoucallhim. But, they're still a rendering of kobolds be it DnD's scaly reptile who love dragons a bit much, WoW's ugly rat things, Ragnarok's... actually Ragnarok really does make them out as cute doglike things, but anyway. Making a seperate creature def for kobolds, as I say, just makes them seem like a 2nd wheel on a unicycle in my eyes.

Then again it may help if the classic kobolds weren't referred to as such so them and cutebolds are side by side, so it wouldn't seem like there kobolds and then something else passing off as kobolds that you play. Still could get confusing and I would need to playtest a bit, as I might miss something like the necessity of making DF classic kobold having another tileset so it doesn't look like you're stealing from yourself. I will consider it though, any thoughts on this part would be nice as well. It's not a huge impact on general gameplay, but I really am on the fence.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2010, 10:05:55 am »

Maybe cavedweller and surfacedweller kobolds?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

LordBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:00 pm »

Removed for being a bad idea.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:47:03 am by LordBadger »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »

Hi, and I just started playing this mod. Seems good so far. (Meaning I started and then restarted due to me not liking graphics)

EDIT : What are the weapons? They're all strange names.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:12:53 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010, 02:18:04 am »

Hi, and I just started playing this mod. Seems good so far. (Meaning I started and then restarted due to me not liking graphics)

EDIT : What are the weapons? They're all strange names.

There's a section for that in the readme, pretty high up. All aztecy. Version's starting to boil over, I may work on the new version before 31.19 comes out, I'm beginning to forget why I was attached to a releasing KC versions along with DF versions.

Maybe cavedweller and surfacedweller kobolds?

If I implement it in the end then yes, that'll likely be how I end up doing it.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2010, 06:16:58 am »

How do I switch the kobold graphics to Haggle's graphics?

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2010, 06:55:21 pm »

For some reason my kobolds won't drink water. They just die of thirst unless I give them booze. It's just ordinary water from a river, sure it's not salty, and it's happened a few times. I can't assign a drinking zone around fresh water, either.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2011, 08:49:10 am »

How do I switch the kobold graphics to Haggle's graphics?

Copy/pasted from the readme (hint hint)

To change to Haggle's brown kobold set, move the graphics_kobolds_haggle.txt from the base KC folder to the KC\raw\graphics folder. Then, in that graphics folder, move graphics_kobolds_gobbo.txt to any other folder of your choice.

For some reason my kobolds won't drink water. They just die of thirst unless I give them booze. It's just ordinary water from a river, sure it's not salty, and it's happened a few times. I can't assign a drinking zone around fresh water, either.

Huh, I can't think of anything offhand. I'll put this on the list of things to investigate. Unfortunately I've been too busy to really sit down and implement all this stuff that's piling up, it may indeed be till 31.19 before a new KC comes out. Maybe. I don't know when 31.19 will come out so I can't say.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2011, 07:50:46 pm »

Huh, I can't think of anything offhand. I'll put this on the list of things to investigate. Unfortunately I've been too busy to really sit down and implement all this stuff that's piling up, it may indeed be till 31.19 before a new KC comes out. Maybe. I don't know when 31.19 will come out so I can't say.
I believe it's either a tag problem or a bug.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »

I can't get this to work on a mac.  I only used the standalone raws, and when I try to generate a new world I get a blank error box.  Any advice?  I'll keep trying later, but I'm afraid I don't know what's going on.  I just popped the raws in and didn't fiddle around with anything.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:06 am »

I can't get this to work on a mac.  I only used the standalone raws, and when I try to generate a new world I get a blank error box.  Any advice?  I'll keep trying later, but I'm afraid I don't know what's going on.  I just popped the raws in and didn't fiddle around with anything.

And DF works fine for your mac, I assume? If you're using the standalone raws, then I really have no idea what could be causing it. I took a look in the mac DF download, but it all looks the same as far as data files and raw/graphic files are concerned (briefly skimming them anyway.) So if DF vanilla works for you, I'm at a complete loss I'm sorry to say.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 11:18:33 pm »

Got it working.  I was being silly.  I'm still having a problem mentioned above though - my kobolds would rather die of dehydration than drink water.  I didn't embark with booze because I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, and now it's the end of my poor fellows!  I wonder what could be causing this?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:04 am »

I've just started playing this mod as well (on a mac), and I'm liking the little fragile kobolds so much, I think I want to make a megaconstruction of some kind (out of wood, slowly).  Any ideas?

My current thought is to surround all the little ponds on my map with walls, build them up near the highest level, and curve them all in towards each other.  Then build homes for the kobolds on the undersides of these arches, making a big webby-tree-thing village.  Little guys think they are elves.  I'd like to cover the whole map this way.

But suggestions are welcome, as I'm still in the first year, and I'd like to do something neat with the 'bolds.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26