Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Equipping and removing equipment  (Read 18976 times)

Hangak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF 31.17 Equipping and removing equipment
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »

Has anybody had trouble with this ?

I mistakenly dropped my bronze short sword to the ground and I'm not able to equip it again (or any other weapon). I have a ton of stuff in my inventory so maybe this is interfering.

I've also tried playing with equipment with other characters and it looks like it's broken. For example, I can't equip any of the armor that I find. With one character, I ended up with two iron mail shirts but no pants, etc.

Maybe I'm just doing things wrong though.

Also, is there a way to find out how much weight you are carrying ?

Thank you

Edit: I found that my dwarf actually had the sword equipped in his right hand, though that fact was hidden at the end of the inventory list...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:02:51 pm by Hangak »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Equipping and removing equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:01:22 pm »

Make sure that you remove everything you are holding in your hands. Drop your weapon and pick it up again.

Make sure that you (r)emove everything that might hinder you to wear a piece of armour. E.g if you want to wear greaves remove leggins and other stuff.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:02:40 pm »

Here's a crash-course on how [d]rop, [r]emove, [g]et and [p]ut work.

Remove:  if the item is worn (clothes, armor, but not weapons or shields), it puts it in the hands.  If it's in the backpack, it puts it in the hands (it doesn't matter what you're holding).  Does not work on items in the hands (not sure about this part).

Drop:  puts the item on the ground.  Works on items in the backpack or in the hands.

Get:  brings the item from the ground to the hands (if you have a free hand) or the backpack (if your hands are full).

Put:  brings an item from hands to a container, like a backpack.  Did not work in previous versions if the container had too many things in it, this might have been changed this version.

So, there are two ways to get something into your hands.  [r]emove it from your backpack (doesn't matter whether you have a free hand) or [d]rop it and [g]et from the ground (only if you have a free hand).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:20:58 pm »

you need to have your hands free to equip weapons.
for the armor see the wiki on armor sizes
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor#Size.2C_Permit.2C_and_layering_armor
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »

Using [r]emove, you can use any number of weapons at any time. My last adventurer used 20, shields included.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:18:32 am »

Using [r]emove, you can use any number of weapons at any time. My last adventurer used 20, shields included.

Does that even help? I guess you could keep sticking them in different parts of the body. Though I used to use two axes for this reason.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz