Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will throwing ever make sense?  (Read 5910 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will throwing ever make sense?
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »

Some sort of creature kicked me in the spine and I fell over.

While my men continued to distract it  I noticed that I couldn't attack in anyway but I could pick up objects (They go directly into my bag even though my hands were empty) and throw them (even though I couldn't use my hands)

Is there any explanation for this?

I was kind of looking forward to dragging my ass back to a town, reporting how I'd completed about 20 quests and retiring but I soon died of suffocation (aparently my lungs weren't working either)

:-[

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will throwing ever make sense?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:36:31 pm »

You're trying to apply logic to a game where it's possible to make a soap skyscraper. 
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »

You pick them up in your mouth, and spit them out at high velocity.
Think of "bullet seed".
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:47:39 pm »

And that totally works with giant serrated disks and dragon corpses.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:10:55 am »

Well some people DO have big mouths...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:09:57 am »

You forgot to include the issue with fluffy wamblers slaughtering bronze colossi.

The other day I discarded a shield I no longer wanted (I had intended to wield two different types of weapons, and finally found the other weapon on a bandit's body) and decided to throw it at a bandit leader who had only just arrived at the battle. I kid you not it killed him in a single hit. I literally couldn't believe what had just happened.
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:23:42 am »

That happens a lot, actually.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:59:36 am »

While my men continued to distract it  I noticed that I couldn't attack in anyway but I could pick up objects (They go directly into my bag even though my hands were empty) and throw them (even though I couldn't use my hands)

I was kind of looking forward to dragging my ass back to a town, reporting how I'd completed about 20 quests and retiring but I soon died of suffocation (aparently my lungs weren't working either)

Yes, I'm sure throwing (And all body-item interactions that aren't currently simulated) will be fixed, it's just not a huge priority right now.  You'll notice you can also punch with wielded weapons, and bite people with each of your teeth, and punch people while you're grappling with your punchan arm.
Shoes...

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:18:54 am »

You're trying to apply logic to a game where it's possible to make a soap skyscraper.

Sigged...  ;D

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:42 am »

The one and only time I've challenged a camel in the new adventure mode, it promptly bit and ripped my arm off. Don't mess with the camel.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 02:14:53 pm »

I gave my elf a bit of throwing skill on character creation, and set off on my first quest to kill a bandit leader. I was still stuck with my Ashen Short Sword so I had to let my men to most of the fighting. By the time I found the leader he and I were the only two survivors at the campsite. I had looted a bronze short sword from one of my own dead soldiers, but I still wasn't sure if I could take him out alone, so I figured I'd run in circles just hurl small stones at him until he was damaged enough to finish off. The stones had barely any effect, so I eventually ran to the loot pile to see if I could find a more suitable missile.

I threw all the weapons from the campsite and the fallen warriors at the leader. I bruised his right lung and removed a finger but that was about it. To make matters worse another enemy soldier showed up, he must have missed the main battle because he was completely unharmed. I was just about ready to flee to the nearby castle and get more soldiers when I reliezed that I had one more non essential item left to chuck: A Bronze Drum. Figuring I was just taking a harmless parting shot I chucked the drum at the leader, who's skull was promptly forced through his brain.

The remaining soldier decided to flee. I picked up the Drum, threw it again, and brained the coward in one shot. I carried that drum with me for almost the rest of the character's life. It got 3 more kills including a night monster spouse. Shortly before the end I upgraded to a Bismuth Bronze Drum, which with her dying breath my elf used to break the false rib of her Minotaur murderer.

My next character may have to return to that labyrinth, or perhaps the lair where I swapped drums, and retrieve one of them.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »

Sigged...  ;D

Si- DAMN IT!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:53:06 pm »

Yes, I'm sure throwing (And all body-item interactions that aren't currently simulated) will be fixed, it's just not a huge priority right now.  You'll notice you can also punch with wielded weapons, and bite people with each of your teeth, and punch people while you're grappling with your punchan arm.

Hilarity abounds when you have 6 different people, all being bitten by you at the same time, but can only shake one of the around at once.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »

It was the coolest when my character bit off a Dragon tooth and then I got my leg cut off so I crawled away. My allie defended me while I was escaping, he just died. The dragon turned to me and shot deadly dragon flame at me. I threw the tooth which bounced off his head...

...But I picked up melted bronze and threw it at him! Going through his head! :)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 06:08:49 pm »

Aw, hell yeah, I just got sigged!

I'm on a roll, baby!
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: [1] 2