Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unexpected Fun - Military Self-Implosion  (Read 1446 times)

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unexpected Fun - Military Self-Implosion
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:57:38 pm »

As a long time player of pre 2010 Dwarf fort, I recently started playing around with the new version, and god destroyed quite easily in the Evil/Haunted/Savage lands that I was used to embarking in.  So I decided to send a group of dwarfs to a mirthful area, so I could practice getting a military up and running with the new system. 

My 75 dwarf fortress was coming along well, with 45 dwarfs in the military, and a fully stocked danger room, and excellent equipment for everyone.

The dwarven caravan came, and this coincided with an ambush.  I ordered my entire 5 squads of military to attack the bow-goblins, expecting some moderate losses.

I selected the rectangle, and hit enter.

The merchants dispatched the goblins without even the time for my first troop to exit the fort.

Then, my squads of marksdwarves began firing on the general populace.  No warning, no tantrum, all of them ecstatic.  The rest of the squads began attacking the caravan guards, and lost nearly half their numbers to the foreign dwarves.

Then the military started butchering itself.  Marksdwarves were riddling the remainder of my military with *steel bolts* and my axedwarves were lopping off my hammerdwarves arms, legs and lower torsos.

A quick check on the offending dwarves, still extremely happy, took joy in slaughter, witnessed death etc.

At the end of the implosion, 2 marksdwarves remained, each missing at least 2 limbs.

This, is what dwarf fortress is all about  :D

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Fun - Military Self-Implosion
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »

sounds like a loyalty cascade...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »

Did your selection rectangle include the merchants?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:03:00 pm »

Congrats, you have just witnessed the infamous loyalty cascade, it seems.
This happens, when one of your dwarves attacks a creature belonging to it's own civilization.
This causes the game to flag it as hostile (but still part of your civilization).
This in turn causes another dwarf to attack the new hostile creature.
This in turn causes that dwarf to be flagged hostile.

Ad inFUNitum

My guess is, you accidentally targeted a merchant instead of a gobbo, thus starting the cascade.

Or, the goblins arrived with a dwarven leader (product of kidnapping) that originally belonged to your civilization, and he was killed by the caravan guards, which caused them to be flagged hostile, which caused.. etc
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:04:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »

Ahhhh, nice it has a name!

Yes, I most likely selected the merchants.

I do enjoy that you can select the elves for slaughter now, rather than having to elaborately drown them, crush them or starve them.

Thanks for the quick reply.  It was, perhaps, the most fun I've ever had with Dwarves.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:23:06 pm »

That... is awesome. I think I might have to intentionally cause this next time i get bored! :)

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 02:04:03 pm »

Had this happen when I told one of my squads to kill the outpost liason by mistake when didnt notice I selected him in a rectangle along with a goblin ambush. You'd be amazed how quickly an adamantine axe wielding dwarf can butcher an entire dining room.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »

Yeah, loyalty cascades are fun.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:12:33 pm »

I tried to kill off an insane merchant with my two marksdwarves in a 30-dwarf fort. One shoots the other in the back and leaves him to die whilst gunning down everyone else in the fort, including domestic animals. At least I know what happened now.
Fun times.