Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I think I won. What do I do now? (major spoilers)  (Read 22039 times)

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
I think I won. What do I do now? (major spoilers)
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:20:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I won. What do I do now? (major spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:32:33 am »

Try a few mods. Genesis is popular, but if you really want a challenge try the Fortress Defence mod. IMO FD is a little too challening - literally constant state of siege from the start of year two - meaning no migrants, caravans, nothing but enemies.

Or in the vanilla game embark in a desert, on a glacier, on a haunted biome with a stream (oh my!). Use as few embark points as possible, do a hermit challenge. Or, of course, a megaproject.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:32 am »

embark on a glacier. you get one piece of stone, an anvil, a piece of coal, and a copper bar.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:57 am »

Colonize this shit the proper way, now. Or make a gigantic obsidian factory. Start playing with magma a bit more. A temple to Armok sounds good, but make sure you put the "mega" in megaproject for that one.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:10 am »

Colonize this shit the proper way, now. Or make a gigantic obsidian factory. Start playing with magma a bit more. A temple to Armok sounds good, but make sure you put the "mega" in megaproject for that one.

I was thinking such a thing. My idea is that I become a barony (whenever the liaison wants to ask me about it, I've definitely gotten past that point in terms of wealth and population), I throw the baron and his nice noble friends into a giant, self-sufficient, entirely sealed temple down there, smooth out the adamantine a bit for flow purposes... and then, as a giant middle finger to the demons, breach the magma sea in all four of the adamantine shafts. Any other touches or ideas?

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:58 am »

Congratulations, you are now the second person (that I've seen) to colonize hell.  Those Demonic Plump Helmets must be tasty!

What everyone else has said sounds good.  Mega-Temple to Armok, located in Hell (over a pit or two), made of solid Adamantium with Gold Trim.  Place your lucky dwarves in there (hopefully self-sustaining), then flood Hell with magma (may need to seal off the pits/edges for that).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:14:19 pm »

The wasp brutes getting in through the magma sea is caused by swimming creautres being able to path up-<direction> onto up/down stairs with walls beneath them, as far as I can tell. A similar thing happened to me in Towersoared, the community fort, although it was "only" a magma man that killed 21 dwarves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »

I'd kind of suspected that the diagonal was what did it. I'm still at least 50% sure that he had to exit using the semi-molten rock, though, because he disappeared from the unit list and I'm fairly sure that I can see the whole magma sea.\

Also, new idea: Since there are no demons left down there, could I explore Hell in adventure mode, boring as it would probably be if I wasn't being constantly demon swarmed?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »

The demons are technically infinite in number. Explore away. I think you can explore Hell in adventure mode by opening up a demonic fortress too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 12:24:53 pm »

I'd kind of suspected that the diagonal was what did it. I'm still at least 50% sure that he had to exit using the semi-molten rock, though, because he disappeared from the unit list and I'm fairly sure that I can see the whole magma sea.\

Also, new idea: Since there are no demons left down there, could I explore Hell in adventure mode, boring as it would probably be if I wasn't being constantly demon swarmed?

Just remember to back up the save of the fortress.
Also, you could leave a way down into the temple before flooding hell with magma. That way dwarves can visit it on pilgrimages!
Can always re-use the backup save and try both!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:28 pm »

Actually, I have a save after the demons all died but before I built the staircase to Slade. I'll upload it if anyone wants it for whatever reason. :p

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:10 pm »

When I saw your staircase into hell and the merchant notification on the bottom of the screenshot I thought briefly that you had managed to get merchants to path into the map through hell.
Current Fort: NatureRags

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »

When I saw your staircase into hell and the merchant notification on the bottom of the screenshot I thought briefly that you had managed to get merchants to path into the map through hell.

Hellish merchants. Just imagine what they'd be bringing.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

Hellish merchants. Just imagine what they'd be bringing.
Alcohol-free drinks. Wooden musical instruments. Burning clothes and armors.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 12:55:22 pm »

So, just elves, except worse.
くコ:彡
Pages: [1] 2 3 4