Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: IsoWorld - An Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 2.1! New map names!  (Read 383934 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: IsoWorld - And Isometric worldmap viewer: Now with minimaps!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 09:02:18 am »

there will be different tilesets that you can swap between on the fly. one of them will be a plain and simple one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IsoWorld - And Isometric worldmap viewer: Now with minimaps!
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2010, 07:29:42 pm »

I wonder if this could be expanded to render isometric views of the world map akin to minecraft's cartograph. http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134

Cartograph is OK, but it isn't very good at locating minerals (the main reason I went looking for Minecraft utils).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: IsoWorld - And Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 0.9
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:50 am »

Houston, we have an update.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »

I just lost my job because my boss had a stroke and can't keep the store in business. 

But yay!  This is one of those little things that make me happy.  Good to have an update with all the shinys, keep up the good work Japa.   Wait a minute...I think my brain might be getting dorfed if it's working like that.

Just know that your update being the first thing I saw when I got back home made me quite content.  You are a good person. *internet hug*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 01:27:50 pm »

Oh, that looks sweet. Getting it now.

EDIT:
Tried it out for a moment on a world I already genned with the previous version. Such an improvement. I already found a few interesting embark points. One spot I noticed would be a fun zone to have warring nations separated by a river that forks with an empty landmass on the other end of the map (good rendezvous point to destroy the other kingdom from by building a bridge and carving out a void to drop it), and another place I found has a nice waterfall with a crescent-shaped cliff, surrounded by a dense forest. Thanks to the grid feature, I can see how much of these are possible, and as it turns out I can easily embark with a significant embark zone to make us of these features to their full potential.

This program can also help with adventuring too, being able to foresee the terrain and whatnot (especially if climbing mountains or other terrain that you can't fast-travel) would be a good thing to have on hand. Helps out with navigating and avoiding having too much fun, if you catch my drift.

I like this. Two thumbs up for a job well done. It menaces with spikes of awesome.

EDIT EDIT:
Just got screenshots of the locations I mentioned. It's nice to recognize the layout to easily find them again. This can really help with the worldgen cookbook threads too.

Spoiler: Crescent Falls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Worldgen Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: River War (same world) (click to show/hide)

Oh right, is this program backwards-compatible? I mean, does it work with earlier versions too?

Suggested additional features:
-Be able to rotate view (to get a better look at scenery like the Crescent Falls).
-Heightmap/biome-map toggle (have a color-map instead of vegetation; sorta similar to when you embark; can be overlaid on top of the already rendered heights/biomes). Can also work with the savagery/evil maps.
-Zoom feature (can play along with area view, but more abstracted/simplified), can work with rotate function to get a good scenic shot if a zone.
-Area view options (let's say, I want to see more than what's present on screen; I can adjust it in the ini file or something)
-A sort of compass to indicate North at least (especially with the rotate feature). It was a bit of a visual challenge to get the features right when lining up with DF. But all-in-all the grid lined up perfectly.
-Adventure mode settlement claim highlights. I noticed my land to claim had some nearby settlements, and the map didn't show any initial indication of other settlements.

I guess the debug feature gives plenty of info in some regards.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Okay, the site was not what i expected, however, it still looks neat. I was expecting a huge drop, like a cliff you see in the image. Instead, it's just a deep waterfall, and a river chasm. Oh well, I can always manufacture the land to my liking with my miners and collect anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:14:00 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 08:16:53 pm »

have you tried pressing the spacebar?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 08:32:31 pm »

have you tried pressing the spacebar?
Whoops. I must've misinterpreted it as changing tilesets to custom ones. My mistake. But the other features I mentioned would still be nice (rotate/compass), and with the zooming, I meant zooming out more.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 08:37:28 pm »

well, you can put custom ones in there. just keep in mind, the smaller you have a tileset, and the larger area you therefore have to view, the slower the program will run.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

This is wonderful, thanks for all your hard work so far.

Selfish request(s) time!

Firstly, is there any way to get it to output the whole world as a single image?  I could stitch screen-shots together by hand but that would probably take me a while.

Secondly, would it be possible to reckon and display the co-ordinates down near the mini map?  Or possibly on the main image when the grid is turned on?
With wonderful utilities such as Legends Viewer it's possible to see the location of particular places from the XML file.  Finding them on the map, however, is a little more tricky!

Of course what I really want is a huge map of the world complete with contour lines, the names of mountain ranges, peaks, forests, rivers and roads applied in wonderful penmanship, with tiny houses where the towns are and little cherubs blowing the wind and sea-serpents in the oceans.  But I think I'll just keep that to myself for now.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:10 pm »

Of course what I really want is a huge map of the world complete with contour lines, the names of mountain ranges, peaks, forests, rivers and roads applied in wonderful penmanship, with tiny houses where the towns are and little cherubs blowing the wind and sea-serpents in the oceans.  But I think I'll just keep that to myself for now.

consider it being worked on.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:25 pm »

I'd like to put in another vote for coordinates, and this tool is awesome. If only it was possible to embark directly from a third-party program.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:34 am »

And then play the entire game in it. Aw, yeah.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 09:50:41 pm »

Wow, I somehow missed it... And some search brought up this thread.

Rise! I totally love it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »

Glad you like it.

I've got some interesting features planned for the future.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:05 pm »

I actually looked fo some stuff how to parse the world map file to make pictures for the World Viewer tool. If you could somehow combine efforts into a single application it would be grand (although I doubt it, because you probably coded it very differently so it would be easier to keep as separate projects) :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30