Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: IsoWorld - An Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 2.1! New map names!  (Read 386837 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: IsoWorld - And Isometric worldmap viewer: Now at version 0.9
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:42 pm »

Just out of intrest, why is it 0.9?
I mean realy, why do indie developers have  phobia of 'first version' releases. DF already constitutes several games, yet it isn't even near version 1. Would it be that bad to say 'This is version 1, and version 2 will be better!'

Not that I am ranting or anything, cool tool is cool! Just wondering...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:10 pm »

that's a good question, actually.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »

I can't speak for this project, personally, but in general...

1.0 implies "complete".

Major companies designate 1.0 as their initial release of a commercial product, even if it was rushed out the door, and they have to then patch it to fix things, and something like expanded features will always get another version number, as well, but 1.0 is what people see as "first version fit for the public".

Indie guys don't want to make something 1.0 until they have made it what they think is "their complete vision", which, thanks to a typically overreaching vision, is often something they never really achieve.

Toady arbitrarily declared that when he'd managed to complete 100 features/arcs, it would be called "Version 1.0", but that seems like something he'd do just so that he'd get to 1.0 eventually, instead of merely extending the number of goals he had for the game forever.

Of course, it doesn't really matter in the long run - version numbers really don't have much meaning besides designating chronological order.  The "greater significance" numbers are just used to represent what the programmers consider major milestones as opposed to more minor adjustments or bug squishing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:56 am »

The link in OP is dead. I don't know if that's a problem with the link or with DFFD, though.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:42 am »

That's a DFFD problem. I'll get a mirror up as soon as I get home, in about... 6 hours from this post.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:31 am »

I just downloaded this a few hours ago, so it might just be a temporary shut down of DFFD.

I used this on the big "Map of North America" from that thread about "How Accurate is Worldgen" or whatever.  This is what the Grand Canyon looks like, according to DF and IsoWorld:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:12 am »

Oh, it seems to be up now. Probably still a good idea to get it on a mirror too, though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:46 am »

I used this on the big "Map of North America" from that thread about "How Accurate is Worldgen" or whatever.  This is what the Grand Canyon looks like, according to DF and IsoWorld:

Your host is really slow.  I had enough time to check another forum and then post this before it finished loading.

Cool though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:52 pm »

The advantage of SadPanda is that it doesn't get deleted or have problems uploading or whatever the way I do with places like ImageShack, but it's really gotten slower in the past year or so...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

The advantage of SadPanda is that it doesn't get deleted or have problems uploading or whatever the way I do with places like ImageShack, but it's really gotten slower in the past year or so...

Tinypic.com
I have no idea of they delete stuff or not, but generally speaking you don't need things forever.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

There's also dropbox and imgur.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

also img.ie

DaneAxe

• Bay Watcher
  • Stunted Viking
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

First off: Bloody great application.

Just gened a new world I hope to use for successive forts and have been overawed at finding millions of great sites I'd otherwise have missed using the ordinary DF finder.

This leads me onto a suggestion. Even with the grid overlay I am finding it difficult to correlate between sites in DF and finding it in IsoWorld and vice versa. Especially with the main map being so small and tucked away in the corner.

- Perhaps increace the world map size to allow better navigation
- Ability to click on the world map to zoom to a spot rather than scrolling there with the keys.
- Possible a 3 teir map system as shown in DF on the bottom of the page or in another window as shown in DF to make site finding comparable

What you think?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »

Actually, the three-tiered idea sounds good.

If you could make a little mini-map that represents it the way it would look in DF's regional view, then it would be easier to find where that is, exactly.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2011, 10:40:14 pm »

I'll see what I can do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30