Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Section of the magma sea has collapsed into wait...what?  (Read 6622 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: "Section of the magma sea has collapsed into wait...what?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 02:55:45 pm »

There's a lot of unnecessary hostility in this thread.

Agreed.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:53 pm »

Hostility towards TVtropes and stale metaphors, yes. I make a point of not applying value judgements to human beings. It's the difference between saying 'x is a stupid thing to do' and saying 'you're stupid for doing x'.

Although rereading my first post, I did come off as a bit caustic.

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with 'overthinking'. Dissecting memes is good to do once in a while. It's fun to trace the rise of a meme from a legitimately funny and insightful joke (i.e., demons packed like clowns in a tiny car) to a habit to an unnecessary tradition.

A man has a habit of trimming the ends off of ham before placing it in the oven. A friend asks him why he does so. The man says 'because that's what my mother did before she put the ham in the oven'. The friend is still curious, and asks the ham man's mother why she trimmed the ham before putting it in the oven. ' Because that's what my mother always did!' Still curious, the friend eventually has an oppourtunity to ask the mother's mother why she trimmed the ham in such a manner. She says 'Because that was the only way I could get it to fit in the pan.'

Habits that are useful and make sense at their beginning can rapidly become meaningless after time.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:29:40 pm by Johnny Madhouse »
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

Doesn't the little opening cinematic show adamantium and demons in it anyways?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 05:27:52 pm »

I've heard it said that it shows the miner breaching the magma river in 2D, but it works equally well for HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »

I just don't get where this sudden hatred for clown came from. It's like it popped up over night, and it all seems rather pointless. It's not like we're trying to be funny when we call HFS clowns. It's just a way of avoiding spoilers that's been going on for a long time. Don't see what the problem is.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 05:42:58 pm »

And again, as Urist Imiknorris said and Ungulateman sigged: That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic. It started off as an epic tale of the magma sea freakin' flooding hell, and ended up as hostility to TVTropes and demon nickname discussions.
Here at Bay12 forums we're all having strange moods and building very unlikely discussions out of completely clean topics.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 05:46:04 pm »

A useful but non-spoilery phrase for the HFS is handy to have because spoiler tags draw unnecessary attention and break the flow of a topic.  Clowns is a common choice due to being grandfathered in, not because it's considered funny or witty.  Tradition is weighty.  Still, for those who are bothered, I've heard and used variants of "Slade Plains" on occasion, and I've seen its inhabitants referred to with sobriquets that are both suitably ominous and suitably mysterious, things like "Those Below."  Also, plain ol' "HFS" always works.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »

I'm going to freaking kill you for that Weeping Angel avatar. Now I'm once again afraid to blink.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »

Anyone object if I copy and paste entries from across three pages to reply to all of them at once?  No?

I'm all for not calling them clowns. Clown made me want to see how a circus worked, spartans would make me think of fighting type stuff and I'd ignore it unless I was trying to figure out the military.

Well, you're saying "euphemisms" have to communicate some specific sort of domain information.  "Clowns," "Spartans," "Cheeseheads" . . . it doesn't matter what it is, you'd know pretty quickly that the people using these words were hiding something.  If you looked at "clowns," noticed people were talking funny about them, and nonetheless said "Whee!  This has nothing to do with secrets that will kill me!" then you must not have played too many games that had secrets.

(By the way: in light of ambient concerns of hostility, one might conclude I am being aggressive with that last line.  I do not intend so.)

You're overthinking this.

Perhaps.  But isn't this the depth of thinking needed to address underlying assumptions?

TVTropes just describes literary, well, tropes. It's not even a joke site.

I'd feel a lot better if it really were a site about tropes.  Just look at the descriptive text when that site shows up in Google search results: "The 'Main Dwarf Fortress' trope as used in popular culture, with a list of examples from all media."  That sentence setup only makes sense for actual tropes, like the "Five Man Band" or suchlike.  As it is, the site serves as a wiki for anything related to books, movies, shows, and games whatsoever, where the entry content itself is a discussion page complete with fan debates.  It could be downright educational if only it ran as intended.

By the way, if someone didn't want to be spoiled, wouldn't they avoid the forum in the first place?

Good advice.  Unfortunately, you know how much help new players need.  Fortunately, the wiki has spoiler warnings (without potentially-confusing euphemisms).

Agreed.

I think it is pretty tame compared to what the internet has to offer.  Some strong opinions, yes, but this forum continues to be amazing in terms of self-control.  The conversation is going places.

Doesn't the little opening cinematic show adamantium and demons in it anyways?

Sure, something like that.  But are you saying that spoilers have been given away in the video, and therefore there's no concern?  If so, go back to when you first watched it, and ask yourself what you saw.  "Hmm, greyish rock.  Hmm, bluish rock.  Hmm, the dwarf saw something scary.  I wonder what it was.  Alright, let's play this thing."

A useful but non-spoilery phrase for the HFS is handy to have because spoiler tags draw unnecessary attention and break the flow of a topic.  Clowns is a common choice due to being grandfathered in, not because it's considered funny or witty.  Tradition is weighty.  Still, for those who are bothered, I've heard and used variants of "Slade Plains" on occasion, and I've seen its inhabitants referred to with sobriquets that are both suitably ominous and suitably mysterious, things like "Those Below."  Also, plain ol' "HFS" always works.

I agree: people can come up with creative ways to write, and readers who know about the spoilers will understand.

--Rexfelum

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 07:03:07 am »

I hope I didnt come off that way. I wasn't trying to!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

treguard of dunshelm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:58 am »

I'd feel a lot better if it really were a site about tropes.  Just look at the descriptive text when that site shows up in Google search results: "The 'Main Dwarf Fortress' trope as used in popular culture, with a list of examples from all media."  That sentence setup only makes sense for actual tropes, like the "Five Man Band" or suchlike.  As it is, the site serves as a wiki for anything related to books, movies, shows, and games whatsoever, where the entry content itself is a discussion page complete with fan debates.  It could be downright educational if only it ran as intended.

This isn't meant to be confrontational, but have you actually looked at the site? The google result is misleading - there is no Dwarf Fortress trope, the Dwarf Fortress entry is a brief description of the game followed by the tropes it contains. "[T]he entry content itself is a discussion page complete with fan debates" is just plain wrong. Seems to be running as intended to me...

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »

This isn't meant to be confrontational, but have you actually looked at the site? The google result is misleading - there is no Dwarf Fortress trope, the Dwarf Fortress entry is a brief description of the game followed by the tropes it contains. "[T]he entry content itself is a discussion page complete with fan debates" is just plain wrong. Seems to be running as intended to me...

No problem, I'm glad to answer you.

Yes, I have been to the site, as you and I have now said the same thing about the Google result.  This keeps happening: the tropes website has set it up so that searches for their pages return a description in that format or a few other similar ones.  And mind you, it must be them that chose this format, not Google, because that's how search descriptors work.  It would appear that they intended the site to actually be about "tropes," in the sense of "And now we will discuss the 'Five Man Band' trope as used in popular culture, with a list of examples from all media."  Instead, exactly as you point out, this is an encyclopedia-ish entry about the game.  The site contains "anything related to books, movies, shows, and games whatsoever," down to the companies that make them, in a function more like . . . well . . . wikipedia instead of a literary analysis.

And I object that I'm just plain wrong about the discussion content.  Scroll down to the "It provides examples of:" section on any page (or "Examples:" when it is actually a trope).  Some entries are explanatory and to the point, while the rest are used as an internet forum, complete with "I think" and "no, it's actually."  Now, after the complaint I just wrote about "encyclopedia-ish entries," one could easily argue these pages belong on the site precisely because of these "example tropes" sections.  But when they're used in this manner, it is dismaying.

And this thread is so derailed we might as well invest in hovercraft.

--Rexfelum

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:18 pm »

It should be possible to learn how to speak without using prepackaged cleverness compiled by autists.

I'd sig this if I had room.

Now, to return to the OP, how much happy juice spilled on the aspies in their hugbox, and were they able to crawl out?

Pages: 1 2 [3]