Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do infections work?  (Read 6525 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do infections work?
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »

I know how dwarves get them, but I'm unclear on how they progress.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do infections work?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.

RadPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:23 pm »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »

EDIT: Doh, you said 'infection'.  Sometimes it kills, sometimes it lingers, sometimes does nothing but leave pretty yellow pus puddles. It can be cleaned in hospitals with water and soap, but can also be caused during suturing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:43:03 pm by Uzu Bash »

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:06:04 am »

Well first your dwarf starts leaving piles of pus near the water sources, and then they die.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

They don't always die. One of my soldiers in my current fort got double infection (one in leg and one in arm), and those were never cleaned (no mention of cleaning of infection in treatment history, and the infections appeared after the initial cleaning the doctor did. Also, I have no soap). Now, after four years, the guy is still up and running, having killed two UB and several goblins since injury. And he is not infected anymore.

But what I gather it's rare that the dwarf survives from uncleaned infection, most of the time they die because of that.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:57:07 am »

As time goes on, dwarves build up an invisible layer of grime on their body parts. Every time a dwarf cleans themselves with soap, or possibly steps into water/gets misted by water, the grime level of the cleaned body parts gets reduced (probably based on the strength of the soap) The more grime that exists on a wounded body part, the greater the chance and/or severity of infection. Unfortunetly, soap use and cleaning in general are currently bugged and/or iffy, causing dwarves to not properly wash themselves (or their fortress floors...) and that means that any infection is always deadly to a dwarf whos old (and grimey) enough.

There was a funny dev story a long time ago when healthcare was first getting redone about dwarves using soap to clean their eyes, because the eyelids didn't clean the grime that built up on the eye. (the eyelids were fixed to clean the grime, but that's assuming they havn't been torn off)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:16 am »

There was a funny dev story a long time ago when healthcare was first getting redone about dwarves using soap to clean their eyes, because the eyelids didn't clean the grime that built up on the eye. (the eyelids were fixed to clean the grime, but that's assuming they havn't been torn off)
Found it. (Thank you TV Tropes)
Quote from: ToadyOne
Eyelids clean the eyes so you don't have to soap them off, but if an eyelid is torn off, I think they might soap the eyes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:38 am »

When a dwarf has an infection, they slowly bleed internally. If this blood loss is not overcome by the dwarf's recuperative ability (or some other factor), they will become "Faint" (with health status indicating minor blood loss), then "Pale" (major blood loss), and will finally succumb to infection and die.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »

Hm, I didn't know that. There must be some other determining factors, maybe intensity or location, infestation of the infection. I've seen 'slow to heal' dwarves, and adventurers, live perpetually with infections. And maybe soap mitigates it even when it doesn't always completely disinfect, because so far the survival rate is 100% for dwarves who have been washed but still left the hospital with infection.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:41:22 pm »

Same here. That was actually why I asked.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones