Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Permission to re-use the language file  (Read 1225 times)

echoback

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Permission to re-use the language file
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »

I'd like to put some of the language files' content online, but because the license at the site I plan on using is permissive, I would like to make sure it's okay (or not) before I take any liberties. I'm planning on using the language files to create various racial and item name generators at Abulafia Random Generators, a wiki-based listing and creation site that holds content under the Creative Commons' Attribution 2.5 license. Under this license, others can freely use and distribute the content, but must attribute the original owner; in this case, Bay12.

I searched for any similar topics in the forums, but I couldn't find any; sorry if the question has already been answered.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:57:54 pm by echoback »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Permission to re-use the language file
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

With the understanding that:
    * Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Toady has made it clear in the past that he is not offering his stuff up to the public domain. I don't think he'd go after you, but don't try to covertly steal his stuff. It'll piss a lot of people off at you.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:40:42 pm »

Welp, its up to toady anyway, you should try PMing the One Toad himself, he scours the forums from time to time, but he regulary checks his PMs AFAIK, so you'll have better chance with that.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:48:23 pm »

Yep you better ask first. He reads his emails too.

I honestly doubt he would want anyone but Bay12 to release any part of DF under any license.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

User utilities he is usually fine with. Creation of a tool that uses the language raw files and posting it here would probably work a lot better than using someone else's program and adapting it.

Of course easier is a different matter...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

echoback

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:47 am »

Just got a reply, and he's fine with it. He actually zipped up the various language files and included a little "these files are hereby released under the following license" statement, as well. Nice.

I think this calls for a second donation and an honorific statue in my fort.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

Fantastic! All Hail The Toady One.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »

Be sure to come back and bump this thread with a link when you get it all working. I want to play around with it. :)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:17:34 am »

:o

All hail the Toady One!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:09:22 am »

All hail the Toady One!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.