Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 8mb videocard?...  (Read 3671 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: 8mb videocard?...
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 03:46:16 pm »

Huh, that's funny... I just built a quad-quad-opteron system for work that had a 16MB videocard...

Must be old and crappy, huh?
Something like this I'd guess: http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=638&SKU=600000075
Looks nice.

Still, I bet you haven't tried to run DF on it :P

Free intel sticker!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »

Funny joke to play on a DF newbie: Offer to let him use your 2.4 ghz 16-core while you use his 3.2 ghz dual core.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 04:26:58 am »

Sigh.

When your work pc's more powerful than your home pc, you know it's time to upgrade.
Home pc: Athlon X2 5600+ (2x 2.8GHz), 4GB of ram, GTX 285, 22" monitor + digital projector
Work pc: i7 ?? (4x 2.67GHz), 6GB of ram, GTX 460, 24" + 22" dual monitors + ps3

Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:59 am »

Haha, no.

If I upgraded to beat my work machines, i'd be spending literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There is a difference between a home Desktop and a mainframe, you know.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:39:51 am »

Yeah, the mainframe sucks for playing games.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

with how crappy your computer is, most cell phones are more powerful.....
if you don't want to pay the 1100 dollars up front....just buy it in parts over time...maybe spending 50$-150$ per part every couple of months or so....there may be more expensive (or inexpensive) parts not all of them are necessarily better, like anything you buy, you should do research online before you buy the part to make sure its worth your money. right now your graphics capabilities is about the same as a Gameboy color.

thats what i do anyway. i recently got myself a wireless internet card for 25 bucks....
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »

You can build a hilariously amazing machine with parts from newegg for under $400 nowadays, and if you have a case, PSU, and old parts, probably $300- or you can spend the excess on a better CPU or graphics card.

It'll work perfectly fine unless you want to max out DF or games like ArmA2.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:06 pm »

If it's old enough to have an 8MB video card, I don't know if I'd trust even the PSU in that thing. I've seen those fail after some number of years, and when they do, they have an annoying tendency to fry other things sometimes.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

The advice wasn't specifically to the guy with a 8mb gpu.

People often don't realise that the PSU and motherboard are the most important part of a computer, most attention is placed on CPU and GPU.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 06:23:08 am »

If you want any evidence of why you should get a decent PSU, google for qtec explode.

EDIT: PSU roundup tests are invaluable, bittech and Anandtech are both really thorough. Check out how many of the PSUs in the bit-tech tests fail to power all of their 12V rails, it's quite eye-opening. Also note how the "generic-brand" PSU in both reviews explodes.
Our "550W" unit was able to function as a low-quality 275W PSU before giving up the ghost, but the 73% efficiency at that load means we're wasting 100W of power. Even a basic 80 Plus PSU would save 30-40W, which means if you're using the PC eight hours per day you would make up the difference in price within two years—and that's not even taking into account the cost of replacing hardware should the unit kill your other components in a fit of rage.
EDIT: Add Hexus to the reviews list. Check the review for the qtec psu...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:42:45 am by Thief^ »
Pages: 1 [2]