Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I find a location with lots of FUN and not so much stone?  (Read 1401 times)

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi

I never played a fortress more then 1 hour.My problem is,I want to have everything nice and clean but always find myself surrounded with stones(Yeah I know how to dump em but nevertheles....)

I always embark on evil biomes(evil/untamed wilds if possible)
But the problem is.....SKELETON MOUNTAIN GOATS.They always come in tribes of 4-7 and destroy everything.
Why doesnt the game give me a break of 1 hour or so to prepare myself before sending me FUN.
Yeah Im a rookie but no matter what.Im addicted to evil biomes.

Okay,now my most important question*Stops crying about the evil ai whose destroying his forts*

How can I find a region with NO aquifer but A lot of sand in the upper levels and lots of stones on the levels above(Im not sure if its called sand though,I mean that material that doesnt contain anything when dug out)

Thanks for ur effort to answer me!!!!!!!!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find a location with lots of FUN and not so much stone?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:02 am »

When you embark, on the screen that gives you information of the stone found in the layers. Look for one with lots of non-stones in the top lists and no aquafers. Really, don't hold your breath, since even the best will only last for a very short period. I don't recall ever seeing a situation where you don't hit hard rock after 7 Z-levels.

As for your goat problem, embark with lots of wood and make wooden walls around your embarkation point. You can then operate there until something a little more mobile shows up. That might give you enough time to get belowground. Maybe you should try savage tropical before you go evil?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:13:15 am »

If you aren't doing so already, I would also suggest embarking with one full-time military dwarf(axe preferred against undead) wearing a full set of copper plate. The military screen might be kind of intimidating, but if you can create one squad you can handle everything through kill and move orders instead of worrying about patrols and stations. In addition, it might also be wise to give your lumberjack some skill with an axe as well.

To get a lot of sand, you will want to embark in lowlands, usually plains or forests, and not mountains. When you look at the embark screen, hit F1, F2 and F3, F... etc to cycle through all the biomes. If any of them have ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ next to a layer, chose a different embark, as that is an aquifer.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

lollius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:16:47 am »

Thank you guys,its a shame there is no thanks button lol.

So if I dig a little bit I will hit stone?Awesome!

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:56:50 am »

There's an amazing 'Lazy Newb Pack' (http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=18) that bundles many nice tools together. One option is an easy way to remove/replace aquifers from the raws. If you world gen without aquifer layers, it makes finding suitable 4 soil level embarks much easier. Outside of a glacier start though, you are going to be hard pressed to never see stone all over the place.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:12 am »

Stone is a good thing. I think the best embark I ever had in 40d was dense forest on top of about twenty layers of Obsidian.

As this was before training weapons, there were many training 'accidents'. The fatality rate of new soldiers was probably around 75%.

Obsidian swords are awesome, and imagine your mighty jet black fortress!

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:59:43 am »

Obsidian swords are awesome, and imagine your mighty jet black fortress!

There is nothing more manly than a Fortress built out of Rose Gold.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:01:58 am »

A fort built out of rose gold, black bronze, and adamantine.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:19:56 am »

What's so bad about aquifers? If there are enough trees or other resources, or is a cold enough map, he can dig through it into the stone. And they are convenient water sources.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:29:31 pm »

You can also hide stone (I Forget the command for it, d - b - h or something I think) which will give the appearance of it being clean.  The stone will still be there of course but you won't see any of it so as far as you know the fortress will look nice and clutter free.

-MB