Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Armordeath - Succession Game  (Read 9602 times)

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armordeath - Succession Game
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:35 pm »

King Moldath looked at the young dwarves before him. "You brave lads have been chosen to build Armordeath, a glorious outpost in our future wars against the elves. Your first leader will be Cagedknight, the miner, but I trust you will institute the dwarven democracy as soon as you have enough able bodied dwarves. I will supply you with a loaded caravan and a supply train in Autumn, as well as additional workers when I am able. My instructions will be more clear when you read the note I have left with your goods."

The appointed leader of the band spoke, "Thank you for this honor sire, we will not fail you" He and his companions bowed and left the throne room. As the guards closed the door behind them, the king loosed a horrible laughter. "The fools, no one bothered to check the map. Hopefully they are able to survive just long enough to set loose those horrors upon the elves."

The caravan rolled out of Foldhall. A dwarf approached cagedknight, the look of a miner about him. "This's suicide's what it is... The Kings sending us to our deaths. Take a look at the Orders the king left us."

To the Brave Colonists of Armordeath, you must complete the following goals for the glory of the Scalded Attic:
1. Build your living areas, stockpiles, and workshops above ground. The elves must see this outpost and come to fear it.
2. Create a device that floods the world with magma, without compromising the fort's integrity.
3. Mine out all adamantine for the glory of the Scalded Attic and defeat any horrors found in the deeps.
4. Survive, if you can

I have attached a map of the area to accompany this message:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(if you cant see this, it is a haunted glacier attached to an arctic ocean, the ocean has a saltwater aquifer but the glacier has no aquifer)

Cagedknight looked around at his companions. There was the miner that brought him the message, a carpenter, a mechanic, a farmer, a cook, and a brewer. There were piles of wood, stone, ale, food, and seeds scattered around the cart. Cagedknight spoke, "We have booze; we'll make it, that's the dwarven way."

OOC: This is my first succession game, although I have read many an epic tale. I wanted to try something a little original, but I'm not sure how well I succeeded (also it's more or less my first attempt at writing a backstory). I really like the embark anyways, and I wanted to try an all aboveground fortress so this seemed like a good route to go. If we all die, oh well it will have been Fun. So the general rules apply if there's any interest in this topic, 1 year per turn. You have 48 hours after the last turn ends to respond. You have one week to complete your turn.

Turn List:
1. me (complete - Fortress almost died twice)
2. Di (complete - Rebuilds and reorganizes the fort)
3. Graebeard (complete - Builds The Stack, The Housing and The Reactor)
4. uggi (complete)
5. Dariush (Skipped voluntarily - Not enough FPS)
6. Kipi (current)
7. Urist Imiknorris
8. Urist is dead tome

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:04:58 pm by cagedknight »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armordeath - Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:00:13 am »

Hm, sounds interesting. Sign me in. But which version it is?
Also we could build castle from ice.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:34 am »

What the heck, I've been wanting to colonize hell for a while now.  Sign me up!
At last, she is done.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:30:04 am »

Sounds like fun, sign me up!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:00:49 am »

I'm in. Turn seven, and I want to be the one to breach.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:14 am »

I would take a turn, too.

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »

Alright sweet, I'll start writing this tonight after class then.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

I can take the turn six!
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:34 pm »

Sweet, you have been added to the list.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »

Oh, by the way, about aboveground fortress thing, keep at least one dwarf below ground, just in case it'll get too cold.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »

Also, we'll need to do all our farming belowground.

EDIT: Could I be the militia commander, wielding a sword?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 02:13:49 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 02:41:33 pm »

Log of Cagedknight:

1st Granite 126-
We have arrived in Armordeath. Our crew was visibly shaken by the notions of the other miner, but I alone remain strong. I scouted the area for signs of wildlife.
Blizzard men. We would not be fortunate enough to have a source of meat. Hopefully they do not bother us while we make our initial buildings.

7th Granite 126-
I have assigned the carpenter to make some beds. He was reluctant at first since nobody wants to stay here, but I told him there's no way we can possibly leave yet, our wagon is stuck in the snow and no caravans are coming until Autumn. He then relented and began making beds. The other miner and I have begun to chip away at the surrounding ice walls so we can build our first shelter. While im sure the planter would much prefer planting, I have told him to start forming the wall of our fort. Things aren't looking too bad so far.

27th Granite 126-
construction on our initial home has progressed quickly. After we add another level we should be able to move into our new home.

As I was writing this note I was told that ice wolves have attempted to run into our fortress. To arms! Nothing and no one can stop us.

28th Granite 126-
We have destroyed those pathetic wolves
and have suffered no casualties. Some of us were slightly wounded, but we must press on through the pain.

9th Slate 126-
I have assigned the brewer to begin butchering the wolf corpses so we can bolster our food supplies. Speaking of wolves, there are more incoming. My left arm was fairly injured in this last encounter, but that's fine by me, I only need one good arm to work and write.

18th Slate 126-
The other miner and I have begun to dig an exploratory tunnel in search of water and rock. Well the rock part was easy enough
Now we just have to find some of that water.

28th Slate 126-
A semi-disaster, it appears that all the water in the ocean to the south is completely frozen. No matter we will dig to the depths to find water.

14th Felsite 126-
For better or worse I have decided that it is in our best interest to dig down and find whatever lies beneath. None shall stop us!

15th Felsite 126-
Luck! We have breached a cavern at a very high point and there doesn't seem to be anything lying in wait to kill us. I have ordered it to be walled off.

1st Hematite 126-
Spring has come to a close, no deaths so far but I have my doubts about a steady food and drink supply.

OOC: if anyone knows an easy way to bring water up 50 Z levels let me know. All I can think of is a humongous pump stack. It's not that I don't want to start a pump stack because it would give me an excuse to start a metalworking industry, I don't want to build a windmill farm unless I absolutely have to.

cagedknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:22 pm »

Urist Imiknorris: I already kind of played through 3 months with my dwarf as the militia commander. I actually don't have any swords, but I can make you a militia commander weilding an axe for now. Also farming will have to be belowground but as close to the surface as possible.

Di: I've built a small tower now, so hopefully it won't get too cold. The miners are always underground anyways.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 03:05:40 pm »

Is water in caverns salty?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:13:44 pm »

All cavern water is fresh.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7