Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Surviving The Rot  (Read 52518 times)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving The Rot
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:44 am »

Do dwarves cleaned by mist leave the rinsed-off residue behind the way that those cleaned by water do? If not, a mist generator that doesn't actually spray the dwarves with water would be ideal.

Using pools of water worked well for me, as dwarves would be washed off as soon as they got extract on them again, but syndromes that linger after the contaminants are washed off would not be fixed by this, and it may cause it to spread faster.

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 01:25:50 am »

When I first read this, it seemed like one of those zombie post apocalypse things. :P
I didn't know dwarf fortress had this much of a developed infection system.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:55 am »

Mist generator?  How do you build one of those?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 04:26:25 am »

Look on the wiki under mist.

Basically, you create a series of pumps that move one 7/7 tile of water (magma might also work) in a loop. The pumps move the water before it can spread but after it causes mist.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 07:07:53 am »

One thing i have continually wondered is:
"Are contaminants effected by gravity?"

Currently i havn't tested this because i'm having too much fun in adventure mode to care about fortress mode at the moment, but if contaminants ARE effected by gravity, you can get them to fall through grates/bars and into an inaccessable area.

Take the water pool decontamination for instance; if you made the pool with the ramps replaced with stairs, and the stairs in the pool level up/down stairs with grates on them and another level below those grated up/down stairs, would the contaminants "fall" into the lower 7/7 pool beneath the grate?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If for whatever reason the mess just floats on the surface of the water, could draining the water from the lower pool force the contaminants to move with the water, and fall down? If this is the case, you could 'flush' your decon pool after every use or get a repeater to do it automatically.

If contaminants are effected by gravity when washed at a well, the solution to piles of contaminated garbage on the floor is even simpler; remove the floor. You'd just channel all but 1 orthogonal position (so the well doesn't collapse) and replace those tiles with grates, filling the remaining position with a constructed wall (or natural wall, if you planned ahead) and so, all the contamination would just fall onto the ground below and become totally untouchable by dwarves. Of course, if water ever flowed over those piled contaminants, it'd literally poison the well forever.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:09:49 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:38 am »

Currently i havn't tested this because i'm having too much fun in adventure mode to care about fortress mode at the moment, but if contaminants ARE effected by gravity, you can get them to fall through grates/bars and into an inaccessable area.
Yeah, I already tried grates; even though the water slides down, contaminants remain on top. And not just traces or spatterings, the whole implausible pool is somehow hovering above the bars. But contaminants do move and dissolve with flow, so running and draining water does get rid of it.

In adventurer mode I noticed that breath and dust won't travel z-levels, so fighting from above or below will only get extract on weapon, sometimes shield and gauntlets, and those can be washed off safely. I try to get dwarven warriors to fight from that position, but they often like to charge right in and permanently screw themselves.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 09:02:51 am »

Something I just noticed ...

Contaminants will follow water through pumps and spread. I have a simple canal system that fills up several reservoirs. One of these was to be used in irrigation.

The irrigation water, once applied, proved to be completely FULL of contaminants. Giant bat and rat blood is spread throughout the farm area .. this isn't a problem because it's harmless blood but it's still worrying.

I'd need another system with sterile water preferably taken directly from the source for irrigation. The way it's built right now the entire farm might be ruined the moment someone decides to wash FB extract off their hands.

Yeah, I already tried grates; even though the water slides down, contaminants remain on top. And not just traces or spatterings, the whole implausible pool is somehow hovering above the bars.

Ah. Floor grates can be used to sterilize the water then? This will help solve my predicament.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:35 am »

The 'Rot' isn't that good a word for it. There are syndromes far more instantly lethal and some much more painful. At least with necrosis you go numb before the rot really advances. You can be fully operational walking dead for months before it finally kills, plenty of time to wrap up your affairs, secure your legacy, and most importantly, torture all your enemies to death.

The paralysis one doesn't even give you that, by the first symptom you're already hosed. You stop moving and then you stop breathing.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »

Ah. Floor grates can be used to sterilize the water then? This will help solve my predicament.
You know, this raises a point I hadn't considered before. I assumed grates should let contaminants run off, but maybe they were intended to sieve contaminants out.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »

What happens to contaminants on a floor grate if the grate is connected to a lever and opened? Do they simply fall?

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »

Floor and wall grates have always blocked contaminant movement. Also magma destroys contaminants. So if you used a magma-safe grate under your decontamination chamber, you could have a second system that purged the contaminants using magma, in case you needed to touch things to remodel your chamber or whatever.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 03:13:41 pm »

Floor bars, then? Dwarves can walk on those, can't they?

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »

We need a special infection that turns the dwarfs into zombies after X amount of time. Armok, that would be fun controlling a zombie outbreak.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »

Floor bars, then? Dwarves can walk on those, can't they?

I'm pretty sure floor bars work identically to floor grates, in regards to what they do and do not allow to pass through, but it's been a long time since I've used them. Can anyone confirm?

(My point being that I think contaminants would remain on the bars as well)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »

Do dwarves cleaned by mist leave the rinsed-off residue behind the way that those cleaned by water do? If not, a mist generator that doesn't actually spray the dwarves with water would be ideal.
yes they do leave the contaminents behind, but it wouldn't matter because anyone in the theoretical mist-quarantine would be permanently covered in water, resisting all ichor or blood in the room.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4