Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Surviving The Rot  (Read 52523 times)

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving The Rot
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 04:35:24 pm »

yes they do leave the contaminents behind, but it wouldn't matter because anyone in the theoretical mist-quarantine would be permanently covered in water, resisting all ichor or blood in the room.

Ah ha! So a decontamination room will work, even with grates collecting the toxins, assuming that you have contaminant tracking turned off in your init file.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 05:14:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure floor bars work identically to floor grates, in regards to what they do and do not allow to pass through, but it's been a long time since I've used them. Can anyone confirm?
Confirmed. Gravity-defying pools remain above the bars, whether over slopes or shafts.

Planting chairs worked for the instance Heliman just mentioned, the mist. Dwarves are drawn to statues, even when they're not meeting areas. There's an exceptional rose gold one surrounded in mist that dwarves like to hang out on their breaks, and when I put a row of chairs in front of it, they started taking their food to eat there too, in spite of lack of tables. Blood and dye washed onto the ground, but the next dwarf to sit there stayed clean.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »

I had one rotting child being saved by the surgeon. however, he's now not recovering from 'resting'

he has no health problem nor the health screen shows lost abilities.

he has splints all over the place where it was rotting.

rotting dwarves won't go on the hospitals until passing out, which means that the surgeon response time need to be quite fast, as by the time they pass out the rot is pretty extended and almost terminal

/infodump

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 04:23:28 am »

I had one rotting child being saved by the surgeon. however, he's now not recovering from 'resting'

he has no health problem nor the health screen shows lost abilities.

he has splints all over the place where it was rotting.

rotting dwarves won't go on the hospitals until passing out, which means that the surgeon response time need to be quite fast, as by the time they pass out the rot is pretty extended and almost terminal

/infodump
I remember a post somewhere about someone who had a military dwarf that'd had most of their body excised by a surgeon to contain rot...  eyes, cheeks, lots of skin and fat...  almost everything.  And the bastard survived.

So never give up on this kind of thing, especially if you have a good doctor.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 04:58:50 am »

So how many of you are prepared for a very dangerous FB right now?

I can honestly say that I have absolutely no chance of surviving the rot if it struck my current fortress... it's easy to think up constructions and situations in which a certain procedure would be ideal.. but when you look at the fortress it's often a confusing mixture of stockpiles and cats jamming doors open.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

I can honestly say that I have absolutely no chance of surviving the rot if it struck my current fortress... it's easy to think up constructions and situations in which a certain procedure would be ideal.. but when you look at the fortress it's often a confusing mixture of stockpiles and cats jamming doors open.

After my first run-in with The Rot, I'm much better equipped. I have no animals other than the two chained up near the entrance, a shallow pool in my only meeting area, and 20-odd hospital beds at the ready. Also, I'm building a mist generator leading into my dining hall, so dwarves should get rinsed off before and after every meal. It requires a little more organization than I'm used to, but not a ridiculous amount.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:21 pm »

I seem to have currently a rather "benign" infection going that specifically rots my dwarfs' feet at a very high speed and cause them to die of blood loss before or right when they reach a hospital bed. However, it hasn't claimed more than 3 victims in 6 months or so. My fortress being a metropolis, I don't really care about it, but I am already planning, for my next fortress, to turn most of the main halls into permanent disinfection/mist chambers. It seems that water turns into mist before even reaching the ground, so I guess that I can do the trick with a high enough waterfall and a whole lot of grates.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »

I run water down my stairwells from surface to the 3rd cavern to decontaminate anything coming from the caverns.  I haven't designed a decontamination system for the surface entrance yet.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

Couldn't you just use flowing water? Have a number of cleaning rooms with mist generators then let people through only on organised groups. Send them all out together, but on the way back, let one through each room at a time on the way in, running water through the room (no grates/bars/fortifications) and down to magma between letting them through. Would that clean the room completely and safely? Actually, could you just open/close a grate floor between the moves? If there are contaminants in the mist generator water, will they get into the mist too? If not, you could just dump to the generator between people by open/closing bars etc.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »

I recently started on a new 31.18 map with a high waterfall, and I read this thread, so I decided to try out a decontamination room. After creating a structure enclosing the waterfall and lower course of the brook canyon, I hollowed out behind the waterfall. Then I put in a drawbridge to atom smash any contaminants washed off by the mist. For my first goblin ambush, I sent out the troops to get a little blood on them. Then I stationed them in the room behind the waterfall. They got misted, but they never got a water coating, and the blood stayed on them. Fail. I had a murky pool right outside the fort with a ramp down into it, and 3-4/7 rainwater in it. I tried to station them in the pool. They wouldn't go. Fail. Then I decided to pit some goblins onto an upright spike. The first goblin's corpse disappeared without leaving any blood. All his stuff was there, but no blood on it. The second one crashed my game when he hit bottom. :/ So I had to reload from before the attack.

I don't think mist gets them wet enough.

So, what's the best way to turn a four z-level natural waterfall into a dwarf washing machine?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:43 pm »

Answering my own question, here's what I am currently trying: I'm channeling out the brook tiles at the base of the falls. Over the four channeled out tiles, I am placing floor grates and linking them up to a lever. I'm making a wide hallway behind the base of the falls, where I will station soldiers, and have them walk through the falls. The contaminants should be washed onto the grates, yes? And then I can pull the lever, and they will be dropped down into the brook and be gone for good, right? Anyway, I'm giving it a go.

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »

Can the pools be atomsmashed? Might be worth it to rig up an atomsmasher to destroy the pool (then refill).
"Extinction is not an option."

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:41 pm »

Okay, progress. After hovering over the grates for five minutes and un-suspending construction every time they got suspended due to water, I got them built, and was rewarded with immediate blood on the ground, but not on the grates, nope, the blood got pushed downstream a tile, onto the brook 'floor.' I could try channeling some more and putting in more grates, but I suspect the mist might just push the contaminants further downstream, so I'm going to put in an atom smasher on either side of the falls and see how that works.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:54 pm »

Huh...I've had a problem in my fortress where random people and animals (mostly animals) bleed to death, seemingly at random. A fb also attacked and was killed recently, and when some of my animals stood in it's pools of blood for too long, they bled out. So could it be one of these fb plauges?

Sorry if this is off topic, it's just that I saved the game before every one begain dieing, and I didn't want my fortress failing due to a bug, since this has been my longest lived one.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »

Very prepared, in that the caverns are walled off.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4