Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Surviving The Rot  (Read 52520 times)

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving The Rot
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:36 am »

So... I haven't spent much time messing about with water yet. But, say you have a pump outputting to a single-tile opening... What happens with the tile fills up? Does the pump continue draining, or will it just shut off? I think you guys can figure out where this is going...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 12:43:45 am »

So... I haven't spent much time messing about with water yet. But, say you have a pump outputting to a single-tile opening... What happens with the tile fills up? Does the pump continue draining, or will it just shut off? I think you guys can figure out where this is going...

Pump shuts off.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 06:25:40 am »

Contaminants go through pumps right?
(question: if there is no water does a pump suck up any contaminants on a square?)
Why worry about destroying them then?
a single pump pumping into a sealed square above an aquifer can absorb infinite water, that square would gradually fill with more and more contaminants but you just keep it sealed (perhaps a good place to dump goblins in from above to test the effects of toxins?)

you'd need a bit of a pump network but just push the output pumps from your decontamination chamber into an aquifer.
no need to atom smash or magma dump.

hell you might even be able to weaponise it.

pump contaminated water over a grate which it can then pass through to reach an aquifer.
The grate builds up more and more contaminants.
have another chain up pumps set up which allow you to suck them up from the grate and dump them on top of invaders.
You may need to make the goblin killing chamber into a decontamination chamber feeding back to the same aquifer as well to avoid infecting your dwarves.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:04 am »

Pumps used to sterilize water, I'm unsure as to whether there was a change.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 07:02:35 am »

Urist McDoctor recommends the Universal Panacea: Magma bath!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:51 am »

make a room with two openings in the ceiling, one for water, one for magma. floor the room with grates/bars, add a floodgate system underneath that, when a lever is pulled, diverts fluids to 1 drain in the side of the chamber below or the other. make the water the lower drain and the magma the upper or the other way around, so what you do to decontaminate dwarves is set the floodgates below to open and dump water into the chamber from above, then set the floodgates below to closed and drop magma into the room (after dwarves leave (or not)) to decontaminate the room.

if i'm too confusing tell me and i'll make this on a fort and upload the map

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

I've had giant bat blood travel through and spreading because of pumps. That qualifies as contaminant, I hope.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »

I've had giant bat blood travel through and spreading because of pumps. That qualifies as contaminant, I hope.
That's why you should use grates.
... they still filter the water, right?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 01:12:41 pm »

I've even seen an immigrant drop his shoes and socks as soon as he arrived on the map. So everyone becomes completely vulnerable.

This could be from that particular dwarven civ not wearing shoes and socks as a cultural thing. There are many instances where dwarven civs will not make high boots or shields (I've seen both) unusable/unmakeable and I guess they could do the same with socks and shoes. They just dropped them because the game requires they spawn with them, but they don't wear them so they just drop them.

Of course, if other dwarves in your fort were wearing shoes and socks then my theory is useless.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 01:52:18 pm »

I put decontamination ponds to and from the main hall of the fortress. Any dwarf going into or out of the main hall for any reason, to reach any wing in the fortress, will be cleaned off. This ensures that dwarves and creatures are washed on a regular basis as they move about the fortress. Even items are cleaned off.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »

Hi guys,
i figured i'd revive this thread as i experienced contaminant power in my last fort and my current fort is at the start of fb a extract meltdown.
For the current fort i removed the brain tag from cats and dogs and so far i'm happy with the 80 fps at 150 dwarves, but after killing my first fb (a humanoid made of clear glass with deadly vapors) the three axedwarves who weren't rushing to pickup newly made steel armor but instead broke the beast to bits with the sides of their axes were covered in extract. After the battle their whole bodies were covered in blisters and with my luck of course they suffocated before making it even 10 tiles. So the rest of my military of course took their weapons and armor to upgrade again and now i bet some of them have equipment that's contaminated. Also there's the fb corpse at my outside refuse pile with a nice coating of fb extract for dwarves to step into.
Some child died by forgotten beast extract yesterday too.
When i loaded up today first thing that happens is a marksdwarf suffocates. He either had contaminated equip or stepped into the fb corpse outside.
So my questions are:
1. How to get rid of contaminants on equip? I know for armor and clothing it usually is washed of when the dwarves *clean self*. But how about coatings of extract on weapons? Is it still dangerous?
2. My fort is on a freezing volcano i only have access to a limited amount of water and that is on the bottom of cave layer 2 (2 and 1 are connected to a big about 20z level high cave). Should i try any mistgenerator stuff? I would have to either make a 50 levels high pumpstack or move everything between cave 2 and 3 as the magma sea starts 2 z levels below cavern 3 bottom level.
3. My well is an ugly construction over one of the cavern 2 ponds and attracts pools of fb extract :S. is there any way to make a well contaminant proof?

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

There's a very simple way to avoid all forgotten beasts nasties, it involves possible mass genocide but what doesn't in dwarf fortress? Simply make the entrance to the caverns a large room and a few doors. If there is a FB lurking around then lock them in that room for a while, if they're infected then get rid of them. Of course if they're clean then don't. Although, do syndromes need to be diagnosed in fortress mode?
Blargh.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:53 pm »

So - I just survived an outbreak of Kitten Rot with only one dwarven casualty. It's been one full season since my last outbreak, so I'm pretty certain I'm in the clear. Anyway, I wanted to share my observations of and techniques for dealing with FB syndrome outbreaks, in the hope that it could help someone else.

NOTES:
1.) The smaller a creature is, the easier it is to infect. Your cats and dogs will be doomed, as well as most larger livestock like donkeys or cows. Large creatures like bears and elephants might be safe - or, more accurately, they won't start getting sick until your dwarves are already dying en masse, so you'll have bigger fish to fry by then.
2.) This may be common sense, but multiple contacts with contaminants increase the likelihood of infection. Dwarves with many infected pets are more likely to get sick than those with only one, dwarves hanging out in miasma-filled areas are more likely to get infected than those in areas with only occasional clouds, etc.
3.) Syndromes vary wildly from Beast to Beast. Your mileage can (and will) vary quite a bit.

HOW IT SPREADS (known):
1.) Fighting the FB - venom/poison can infect the injured, secretions can infect any who touch them, breath and dust can infect anyone nearby.
2.) FB Extract/Blood - Walking through FB extract or blood can infect dwarves or animals. While this is known to be worst for FB's with dust attacks (since they leave extract everywhere), please note that outbreaks can (and will) occur from other attack types as well.

HOW IT COULD SPREAD (theorized, from most likely to least likely):
1.) FB Miasma - My fort was doing just fine (except for the one injured dwarf who was bitten) until the corpse of a venomous FB began rotting right in the middle of all my workshops. Soon after, several animals caught The Rot.
2.) Miasma from the infected - Those spending a lot of time near the infected are most at risk, although this could be based on simple proximity rather than the miasma itself.
3.) Blood from the infected - Possible but unknown. Areas with blood from the infected often have miasma, so this could just be a repeat of the above.
4.) Invisible dustings of contaminants - Some have theorized that amounts of extract or blood smaller than a dusting or spattering could be tracked invisibly by DF, and still be enough to infect. My situation provided no evidence of this, but different syndromes are different.

PRE-EMPTIVE MEASURES:
1.) Create ponds with ramps in meeting areas and/or high-traffic hallways, filling them to a depth of 2-4 before un-designating them. Dwarves and animals will walk through them, washing off contaminants. The water will get pretty vile, so make sure this is not designated as a water source. Once they start to get full of contaminants, loo(k)ing at the water may cause a crash.
2.) Have multiple Butcher Shops at the ready.
3.) Have many built, empty coffins prepared for burial (include pets) at all times.
4.) Have a well-stocked hospital with many beds and accessible soap/water.
5.) Prepare a pet disposal area - a single-tile hallway that ends with a lever, a non-pet-passable door, and a spike trap connected to said lever can help eliminate non-butcherable infected pets.

FIGHTING THE ROT:
1.) Get rid of the Forgotten Beast corpse and all parts to prevent as many miasma infections as possible.
2.) Set all tiles with Forgotten Beast blood and extract as Restricted-Traffic designations, so dwarves will path around them. Consider building walls around it to prevent animals from walking through, or wait for idle dwarves to clean them.
3.) Have idle dwarves available for cleaning and burial. These are low-priority actions, so you may need to disable labors for some dwarves.
4.) Keep an eye on the Health screen within Z-Status. Any animals requiring Diagnosis are infected, and any dwarves likely are as well. Note that the Diagnosis requirement will not pop up when infected, but when they start showing symptoms, so many animals are likely already doomed even if they do not show a need for health care. Check constantly to be sure.
5.) Immediately butcher or otherwise eliminate all infected animals ASAP. Do the same with all dogs and cats. Either butcher or closely monitor all larger creatures, particularly cows, donkeys, camels, jaguars, and other mid-size animals. If an infected animal is in an unneeded room alone, lock the doors and wait it out. Its worth noting that my only surviving animal is a single war bear - all cows, bulls, and donkeys were infected.
6.) Save and load constantly. A normally-minor glitch prevents badly infected creatures from dying until the fortress is loaded anew, and dead infectees are much less dangerous than live, wandering ones who spread miasma throughout the fortress. You may see instances where you load your fort to see a dozen animals die within minutes and get immediately stuffed into miasma-preventing tombs. This is also notable because dead animals somehow produce less miasma than infected ones.
7.) Disable all non-medical labors on at least a couple of dwarves, to ensure that infected dwarves are treated ASAP.

I hope this helps. I would encourage you to be careful, as different syndromes are different, so your experience will likely be very different than my own. That said, I was able to survive with only one casualty (not including the 30 animals), so hopefully this advice will help you out as well.

perhaps this should be added to the wiki
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »

Well, there was good information in that post, but i actually read it before and it doesn't answer my question of how bad extract/blood on equipment is. For now after about 3 seasons everyone is still fine, i walled off the well and the forgotten beast parts. The corpse of the beast somehow decomposed on its own (maybe because it was outside?).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]