Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hiveable animals?  (Read 1287 times)

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hiveable animals?
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:40 pm »

I'm modding a custom creature which has many different castes..currently around 20. I want a group of these castes to be made hiveable, in two varieties, which would require seperate hives for each variety, but do not affect the other non-hiveable castes. This would mean that, if i sound confusing, you couldn't have the bees hive up with the bumblebees and viceversa; they would have to have separate hives. I have NO idea how to do this, and the tokens page on the wiki isn't helping very much. They also are not vermin.

I can haz assistance, if this is possible? Finished product will be shared here after the problem is solved in return.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Hiveable animals?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:10:25 am »

I don't think that non-vermin creatures can be hiveable, no.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:37:57 pm »

Alright then. I decided not to do it anyway. I won't be posting the raws here until they're nice and polished.

I've made an interesting discovery with these creatures. They're common_domestic, and have flying enabled. I built a tower above ground with a roof and saw the pets flying over it quite regularly. I guess flying really isn't disabled in fortress mode! It turned out to be annoying while training markdwarves on said tower: The war animals reached the target because they could fly towards it and promptly returned to their owners; thus, no skill gained.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:37 pm »

It isn't disabled, it's just that pathfinding finding doesn't take it into account. The creature won't go somewhere if it can't walk there.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:52:39 pm »

Oh. My bad then.