Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WebFort - for use with QuickFort [updated: 11/24, v 0.1.2]  (Read 15845 times)

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WebFort - for use with QuickFort [updated: 11/24, v 0.1.2]
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »

WebFort

Summary: This is a web-based utility. Use WebFort to lay out designations, click export at the bottom, then copy & paste what it outputs into the .csv file of your choice. Open QuickFort to run the csv file you created with WebFort.
Suggestions welcome!
http://nthproductions.com/webfort/webfort.html

Update v 0.1.2: You can now change the grid size to various settings. Up ramps and channel now added. Removed buttons to make room for future expansion. Fixed up & down stair images (they were backwards)

Update v 0.1.1: Added some info text on the utility page and trimmed down the export to only create applicable text. The output shouldn't be ridiculous anymore!

I used a 12x12 tileset off the wiki by Hanuman just for something really quick to use with this, hopefully he won't mind, but I'll change it to something else if so when I get some time.

Since it's all client-side obviously all the code is wide open. I may start a google code project or something though if others are interested in helping out. This is my first attempt at giving back to the modding community, I hope someone can benefit!

This will NOT work in IE (I only tested Chrome and Firefox). If someone wants to help if someone wants to tell me all the changes I need to make to make it work in IE I'll try to fix it

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:12:57 pm by echonic »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WebFort - for use with QuickFort
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:16 pm »

Brilliant! thanks a bunch for this

Electric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:47 pm »

Nice man, I'll be sure to try it tomorrow  :P

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:41:15 pm »

Wooo! Been having fun for the last few minutes comming up with new floorplans in webfort!

Any chance of hosting plans for others to browse through or submit? their own? Now that would be be super cool, I haven't used quickfort yet myself, but webfort is making it seem pretty tempting right now.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 11:45:04 pm »

This is fantastic!

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:51:12 pm »

Any chance of hosting plans for others to browse through or submit? their own? Now that would be be super cool, I haven't used quickfort yet myself, but webfort is making it seem pretty tempting right now.

I was thinking about it, I'll look into it, shouldn't be hard.

I need alcohol to get through the working day though, so I'll have to grab a drink first then put some more thought into it!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:58:18 pm »

I really like this utility. It could be expanded in many ways to make it more usable, such as keyboard shortcuts which mimic the DF build keys, and saved 'templates' or 'stamps' which we can then drop onto the field for repeating structures.

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:31 am »

...which we can then drop onto the field for repeating structures.

You actually can use the Copy and Paste buttons in the tool to sort of do this. Click Copy, click on two tiles to create a region to copy, then paste it wherever you want!

Of course it doesn't save across sessions, but hopefully I can get that in place soon enough.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:09:38 am »

...which we can then drop onto the field for repeating structures.

You actually can use the Copy and Paste buttons in the tool to sort of do this. Click Copy, click on two tiles to create a region to copy, then paste it wherever you want!

Of course it doesn't save across sessions, but hopefully I can get that in place soon enough.
I know, but have several saved templates would be nice.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WebFort - for use with QuickFort, create layouts graphically in a grid
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:20:48 am »

Bookmarking this. I foresee this being a widely used little program. I always wanted to use Quickfort, but did not want to get into the slightly pain in the butt way you have to make things. This makes it extremely easy and very quick.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 02:27:18 pm »

Well, unfortunately real life isn't quite like Dwarf Fortress, so it's not an artifact...

Work on it for 3 months straight with no sleep,food, or drink and it will be  :o

But seriously, nice tool. Though it might decrease my productivity at work.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:12:18 am »

Any plans to expand this? I'd love to see multiple z-levels supported and a larger field.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 05:29:30 am »

a larger and an odd field so we can have a center  :P

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 07:38:10 am »

also, undo
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »

This does work on the iPhone too. It's not very fast and you have to zoom in for any accuracy, but it does work.
Pages: [1] 2