Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf pathfinding ignores magma channels  (Read 506 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf pathfinding ignores magma channels
« on: September 24, 2006, 07:18:00 am »

Just as the title says. Dwarves ignore the presence of magma in a channel for pathfinding purposes, treating it exactly like an empty channel.

Fun recipe for completely emptying out your fortress:

1) Make sure all your dwarves are set to the Burial job and at least one is set to Refuse Hauling.
2) Dig out a magma channel with an aquaduct over the chasm, ensuring that the aquaduct is the topmost chasm area available (ie the dwarves head there to chasm stuff).
3) Turn on chasming skulls, or whatever else.
4) Watch as your Refuse Hauling dwarf calmly walks into the center of the magma-filled aquaduct to chasm his skull and instantly incinerates himself.
5) Watch more as each of your dwarves, as they end their current jobs, start a job to bury their friend that just incinerated himself and walk into the exact same magma channel square.
6) Repeat step 5 until fortress is empty of dwarves.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf pathfinding ignores magma channels
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:38:00 am »

Even simpler would be to build a small lava loop at the magma river and place a stone stockpile there.  It might even work if you dig a single tile of channel at the river, since it will flood immediately and kill the miner.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 11:33:00 am »

Things like this are why you should never, ever give burial to anyone important.  I turn it off as soon as anyone graduates from being a peasant...  it requires no skill, and even if all these glitches were worked out, it would still be risky to run out and grab a corpse from the middle of a battle.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 12:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Things like this are why you should never, ever give burial to anyone important.  I turn it off as soon as anyone graduates from being a peasant...  it requires no skill, and even if all these glitches were worked out, it would still be risky to run out and grab a corpse from the middle of a battle.</STRONG>

You can turn off corpse gathering in the options menu for battles.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:57:00 pm »

Yeah, I've lost 30 this way myself and put it on the list...  they can be really mindnumbingly stupid sometimes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!