Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends mode exports from command line, and option to export-all  (Read 4799 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

There are an incredible number of things that can be done with the stuff we can export from legends mode, but the export process is still pretty awkward. 

My first suggestion is to add a simple option to the first screen of legends mod to "export all" - the map, population / world gen / sites and pops  text, legends xml dump, and all the detailed maps - in a single go.  If we want a smaller selection, the current options are fine, but I always export everything and particularly with the time larger maps or long history takes it's a lot more trouble than it needs to be. 

The second is to enable the export of information of legends data from the command line.  This would allow for a simple 'run batch files in order' scenario for new players; I've got this kind of processing chain set up in my LNP but it only kicks in once they've exported everything. 

I'd imagine the syntax as something like
Code: [Select]
"Dwarf Fortress.exe" -exportlegends <region#> -p -x -dwith the p/x/d flags corresponding to the various export options.  The detailed maps could be more specific, but I'm not quite sure how to do this - maybe "-d" does all, and -d1 / -d2 etc. do specific maps, or prehaps -d_elw / -d_el / -d_vol etc. to keep it a little more readable. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:55:21 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Legends mode exports from command line, and option to export-all
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:04:30 am »

It would be extremely helpful. The largest problem, however, is that XML dump isn't complete feature. There's many things missing that can be found "manually" from legends mode. It should be finished first, and then start improving Legends usablity. At the moment I'm fine with this system, since we have DFHack tool for exporting all maps and Legends Viewer for easy browsing of Legends.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »

Isnt there a dfhack script to export all?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:16 pm »

"exportmaps" can be called from the list of all detailed maps and exports all of them, but doesn't handle legends xml, the various text files, or the non-detailed map.  If someone more than skilled than me could create a version that did those too - and for bonus points added "A to export everything" as a gui line, that would be just amazing. 

The command line tool would be really useful though, because it would allow for a full worldgen utility - User designs a map with perfectworld, trigger the worldgen from command line (possible now, though unimplemented by utilities AFAIK), then [new functionality] export all the maps from the command line, then do all the processing available with current stuff, and finally hand back to the user. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:03:00 pm »

Also, there should be a Search for Title option, for example, im using Masterwork, and i want to find a Master Vampire, but they re so incredibly hard to find...
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."