Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Survival in 0.31.18  (Read 9907 times)

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survival in 0.31.18
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:01:26 am »

Here are some accumulated thoughts on how to survive in the wild, wild world of 0.31.18. Please add your own tips too!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, it seems this post has gotten rather long, so I think I'll turn it over to you guys from here. Share your tips!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival in 0.31.18
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 01:27:07 am »

Throwing skill with a very high ambushing skill will let you get past the first few solo fights.
be a crossbow or bow user and you might luck out and get a quiver full of 35 steel bolts or arrows,
NEVER (f) these, always (t) them thrown bolts and arrows are still deadly and misses are recoverable.
Throwing has a rate of fire about 4X that of a crossbow shot.
Anything can be thrown, even blood spatters.
Take knapping skill, and practice, all it takes is time and you shortly will have an inexhaustable supply of *sharp rock*, think ninja throwing stars.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:31:32 am »

On the subject of knapping, once you get the skill to the point where you're getting superior, exceptional, or maybe even masterpeice sharpened stones, you really have to find a high-volcanism biome that has obsidian stones on the surface to make your throwing missles from. Obsidian has a MAXEDGE value of 20000, which is 20 times more then other stones and twice that of even other metals. Needless to say, you will be doing massive quantities of damage, and if somehow you find that a kobold has created a carving/boning knife from obsidian (assuming this is possible of course) kill that kobold by throwing something at it (probably the sharpened obsidian stones; getting close can be horribly deadly) and once its dead, loot that weapon and never let go of it.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:58:28 am »

On the subject of knapping, once you get the skill to the point where you're getting superior, exceptional, or maybe even masterpeice sharpened stones, you really have to find a high-volcanism biome that has obsidian stones on the surface to make your throwing missles from. Obsidian has a MAXEDGE value of 20000, which is 20 times more then other stones and twice that of even other metals. Needless to say, you will be doing massive quantities of damage, and if somehow you find that a kobold has created a carving/boning knife from obsidian (assuming this is possible of course) kill that kobold by throwing something at it (probably the sharpened obsidian stones; getting close can be horribly deadly) and once its dead, loot that weapon and never let go of it.

Man i cant wait till you're able to actually start crafting stuff, like swords or axes, then we could finally have obsidian weapons :D.
Anyway...

Do NOT sleep at night outside if you are alone and at a low level, you will most likely get killed, very very horribly.
Agility IS god, but remember to put at least one point in either toughness or willpower to stop you going down after one hit due to extreme pain.
DO NOT get cocky, just because you smashes the SHIT out of three bogymen groups in a row, does not mean that you can let that enemy have the first shot out of mercy, you are not invincible, and that free shot could just be your downfall. (DAMN SPEAR MAN!)

Attempt to face enemies one on one.
Always be on the look out for better weapons/armour.
Be aware of the weapons and their strengths and weaknesses.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:38 am »

Don't take on enemies one to one, take them one eleven to one (in your favour)!  My character has killed 3 bandits, 3 spouses, 2 night creatures, 1 troll, 1 giant and 1 hydra without taking a hit because he makes sure to always attack them from behind while they wale on his followers...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:08:51 am »

How to fight armor

To fight armor you need you need:
A)use blunt or stabing attacks
B) use a better metal i.e. steel vs bronze
C) fight round the armor i.f. thay have a helm and mail shirt go for the legs then the hands

Where to aim attacks
 not all attacks are of the power or type.

i.e. a pommel strike to the lower body as a low power level as at best it brake thir lower spine but most of the time    bruiseing of the gut will happon.
still the above attack will pass soft armor.

now what if it was a slashing attack?
now this attack has the power to cut your foe in two but a more commen out come wil be spilling there guts or cuting some organ.

down sides
  • any armor will need to be over come or it will blunt or stop the attack.
  • your weapon may get stuck, this will take time to free

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:54 am »

I like most of OP's tips, except for the one about spending a point in Swimming. I don't understand everyone's dread about dodging into pools. If you have half an eye open for those, you can maneuver away from their edges before you even get close to them. If you need to, you can turn off dodging into adjacent squares using the shift-C menu, so that you won't ever accidentally move from your position unless you were charged. Pool-drowning is entirely preventable without swimming skill—better to put that one point into something that'll let you survive combat, especially if you're a peasant. (Swimming could possibly be useful if you're running from something and there's a river in your way, but this doesn't happen often enough to justify the cost.)

On the subject of points: you can milk some more points for attributes by lowering those that aren't relevant, such as Patience, Empathy, or Social Awareness. This is crucial for peasant characters, and sometimes it's fun to play a sociopathic idiot demigod anyway.

If you're pressed for skill points, it's fun to choose a pike as your weapon; it's powerful, and you don't have to use any points for Shield User. You also don't get to use a shield, which might make this Fun as well as fun. But parrying and dodging seem more powerful wards against ranged attacks and attacks in general than they were before, especially if the relevant attributes and skills are high. If you spend some time getting good enough with a weapon, you can actually bat bolts out of the air with it.

You don't have to take every opportunity shot you can. I almost never take an opportunity for a strike with anything other than my main weapon unless I'm extremely bored and victory is already assured. If the best strike you can get is a scratch or bite to some finger, it's better to take a step back and wait for a better strike that can actually do damage.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:37:50 am »

I have a fetish for dismembering opponents.

One thing I've found is that chopping off feet is the best way to start a fight, once the enemy is laying on the ground, its easier to take them out.

And for large groups I basically run around just choppng off feet, until they all cant move around easily, then pick them off slowly.

And lastly. Bogeymen seem extremely susceptible to being stabbed in the lower body. Pretty much kills them in one shot.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:21:55 am »

Actually, I believe social awareness actually DOES do something. :)
I accidentally put points into it, and well, it's awesome. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:27:47 am »

Actually, I believe social awareness actually DOES do something. :)
I accidentally put points into it, and well, it's awesome. :D
Care to elaborate?
We wouldnt want anything bad to happen to your character now, would we...
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:33 am »

Eep! Well, uh, you -could- always experiment, but... Well, it's kindof like charisma, you can win over more followers with it. Armok only knows how my goblin ended up with so much charisma... :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:38:44 am »

<<*Chapter 2.1: Stat Training 101 a.k.a Getting your first scars*>>

Hello & welcome fresh mea....er...new adventurers! Here's some simple yet safe tips to train your Skills & Stats To highly reasonable, even superior to legendary, levels!

1.) First thing you should do is find & corner a small animal, be it a groundhog, a monkey or even one of those annoying buzzards (small birds are preferable so that they won't "accidentally" bite & rip out your throat). If possible grab more than one if they are stacked/ closed to each other, use all 4 limbs (though biting one might get you an extra)!

2.) Now wrestle with it! Grab its head, limbs, wings or tail & lock 'em but don't hurt it in anyway at all...for now. Most of the time even a fresh adventurer won't have a problem with them as they won't be able to break your grip. You can also laugh at it's unique predicament! Give it a light noogie for extra humor & insult!

3.) But now just stand there.....yes you heard me right, you just stand there & take all those bites & scratches like a man and show some balls as you show your superiority over this small creature shorter than your sword! (Do remember to sheath your weapon though, counterattacks can make this a rather short session)

4.) Just keep pressing the Skip turn/Wait button or as of .18 the "." or period button. Watch as you get some Armor points for getting scratches & dents on your clothing, Agility points from missed attacks & evasions, Wrestling from your bored, occasional chokes & takedowns (Throwing them is for a later step) & Shield skills from blocking some, if not most, of the attacks. At the same time you are gaining experience & raise you characters Stats (Strength, Endurance, Willpower, Recuperation, etc.)

5.) Standing up is fine but sitting is also recommended cuz' it halves your speed which enables them to have more turns to flail at you like a limbless garden gnome throwing a tantrum for stepping on it's lawn (I'm looking at you Mr. Fiddles!)

6.) Just keep at it even when your training partner/s fall from exhaustion. Also remember to keep watch of the time playing with the woodland creatures...As a newbie, you don't want to miss curfew & get caught outside far from town right? You better get to bed soon or the Bogeymen will come to get you naughty children! HooohhoHHohoooo vewy skewy BooOoOgeymen! HahahahHahahaAHahhaaa...Bogeymen, what a load of fairytale hogwash!

7.) You can also train your Weapon skills by using their non-lethal alternatives. Yes there are other ways, Some may not know this but you can use a Bow to train up your Sword skills (same with a Blowgun) & a Crossbow to train your Hammer skills.

Buuuwwhhhhaaahh?!? Yeah that's right, just get a wooden bow & keep hitting them animals & hiding PETA Elves & you get Swordmanship skills experience.

Some of you may ask me "But K.T., how is that possible?". Aside from saying "How did you get in my house?" I'll also tell ya' that I don't really know myself, but they say it's Elven magic. Some of you may still say "But K.T., that doesn't make sense!!", I'll say "It's Magic! it doesn't have to make sense! A Elven Wizard did it! For the kicks! While high on elf berries! Now shush & keep hitting that monkey with your bendy stick with a string!"

Extra notes: Sometimes the small critters may even get lucky if your star is feeling naughty, you can lose a finger or an eye and even pass out from the pain of getting your nose bitten off. You can also move up to bigger creatures like Horses & Camels to train up Wrestling faster....If your dwarvenly brave/stupid enough little man!

Well, thats it for this lesson, we'll have more tips on our next session and as an assignment, I'd like everyone to gather the teeth of all the mammals that's you've beaten up in 24 hours...DISMISSED!
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:40:43 am »

Eep! Well, uh, you -could- always experiment, but... Well, it's kindof like charisma, you can win over more followers with it. Armok only knows how my goblin ended up with so much charisma... :D
Experiment, eh? Hm... I like experiments, as you may see in my signature and under my name (Dont judge me!)
Ill be back! With results.

Or, maybe i wont. I will be back, but the results part is questionable.
You have been spared!

Also, nice tutorial you have there, other guy who posted half way through the typing of this :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 10:12:41 am »

If you don't have a good shot, consider taking a step away from your opponent rather than giving them a free attack.

Quote from: drystan
Sturgeon are deadly. To be fair, google sturgeon to see why. They are monstrous.
Maybe in size, but they are also toothless bottom feeders, so I don't know how dangerous they are typically in real life. Not that I've forgotten which game I'm playing, mind you. :D

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 10:37:41 am »

Good tips guys, keep 'em coming!

Meat shi Companions

Acquisition
To get companions you need reputation. If you start as a peasant, you will have a reputation of a country bumpkin and need to go it alone at the start. If you talk to people in town and ask about surroundings and quests, they might tell you about a named animal. I suggest killing a named animal at first to gain some reputation. Sadly, I find such quests to be rare.

Selection
This is important at the beginning. I prefer companions who can save my butt if things get fun. Look at the description of your candidate companion, and pay attention to their physical build:

• Fat - I don't know if there are advantages to this, but it definitely means they're slow. Maybe they're harder to knock down though. Thoughts?
  • Varying degrees of muscular - I tend to go for these guys. You can usually find one or two incredibly muscular guys in a fort.
  • Weak - I don't think there is any advantage to choosing a weak companion.
  • Skinny - I don't know if there are advantages to being skinny, but I assume they can be knocked down and injured easily. Maybe they're more agile. Does anybody know?
  • Broad - I have no idea what this affects, but I assume it has something to do with base strength.
  • Scrawny - I believe this is even skinnier than skinny.
  • Wiry - I only ever saw this once, on a law-giver. I would have loved to have recruited him.
  • Varying degrees of height - I don't know what this affects.

Notable combinations:
  • ... massive amounts of muscle and fat - also known as bear mode. I recommend recruitment.

I usually glance at their equipment too. If they have a silver sword and a rope reed fiber cap, maybe they're not cut out for adventuring. Also, sometimes you'll see prisoners too. Feel free to give them a second chance and recruit them into your ranks. I once had a goblin drunk as part of my crew and he fought like a savage beast. Always keep an eye out for new talent!

Companion Types
  • Bowmen, Crossbowmen : In my opinion, they suck. Don't get them. They fire infrequently. They miss frequently. Once they run out of ammo you're then stuck with an unskilled hammerman or swordsman using a poor weapon. You should have a maximum of 2 ranged characters in a 20 man party. They are a horrible choice for your first companion. Medium level turnover because they tend to engage the enemy from a distance.
  • Pikemen : Pikemen are brutal killing machines, but anecdotally I have noticed that their turnover is quite high, probably due to lack of shields and often getting their weapon stuck in the enemy. Expect to have frequent vacancies in this position.
  • Hammermen : Go for the ones equipped with war hammers. I find mauls to be poor weapons, but war hammers are great armour-busters. This position has a medium level turnover, in my experience.
  • Spearmen : A spear plus a shield in the hands of an incredibly muscular companion is a sight to behold. Low turnover. Good for messing up tough bad guys.
  • Axemen : Pretty good, but I find the turnover of this position to be medium. Maybe it's due to stuck weapons or not being able to use shields with polearms, I don't know.
  • Swordsmen : Great Companions with long term survivability if they have a shield. Low turnover.
  • Lashers : At first, I didn't know what to make of them, but as it turns out, they are great companions who are essential for taking down tough beasts. I have witnessed a lasher caving in a dragon skull on their first strike more than once. Lashers can also help you take down a dreaded bronze colossus. Medium - low turnover.
  • Wrestlers : Wrestlers suck. Get one in your group if you want to watch somebody die a horrible death. High turnover.
  • Macemen : I can't say much about them, because I tend not to use them. I think they're just a crappier version of the hammerman.

Over time your companions will suffer some 'wear down'. I suggest keeping the number of cripples to fewer than 50-30% of your party. Every once in a while, check to see how your companions are doing. I always find it pleasantly surprising to see that the crippled companion I had from the start is still around and is now a legendary limbless biter of doom.

Party Size
I recommend keeping your party small until you start getting hard quests from the nobles of the land.  If you travel in a large party early on, you won't get many kills (meaning, training) and your large party will start to attract unwanted attention from kobolds, human bandits, and even worse goblin or dwarf bandits. Once you fight off a couple of big raids, the slow death spiral begins. I am pretty sure that what happens is that you start pissing off other civilisations or factions that were once ambivalent about you. The raids get more intense and will devastate your war party, typically leaving you in the wilderness with, at best, a herd of cripples to defend you. If you survive a raid by fleeing it, you'll then be alone, likely crippled and (if you heeded my first post), a dabbling crutch-walker trying to fend off packs of bogeymen as you hobble your way to the nearest fortress. So increase your party size with due caution.

As an aside, does anybody know if companions can learn and improve their skills?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5