Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Survival in 0.31.18  (Read 9910 times)

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival in 0.31.18
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:52 pm »

My favorite weapon for a swordsman is a scimitar. They have unparalleled slashing ability, allowing you to hack off limbs with ease.

In vanilla DF this is not true. In the 31.18 raws:
(Spoiler tagged because reading the raws is kind of cheap.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 05:41:41 pm »

Well, I've seen the raws, but I always feel as if they get stuck less. Technically only the pommel area is smaller, but that is still better for skull crushing.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 06:46:47 pm »

If you get into an ambush early on, JUST RUN. Ambush leaders are overpowered.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 06:50:41 pm »

Zicab Showbabies the Diversion of Armor was tasked to slay a hydra far to the west in goblin territory. The trek was long and brutal, with wild animal attacks and numerous goblin and kobold raids every step of the way. This was expected. The first sign that things were going to go wrong was that he mysteriously lost the contents of his backpack - containing amongst other things, all of his wealth in precious stones and artifacts. "There goes the retirement nest egg," he thought. Little did he know the portent of those words. It turned out the goblins were better armed and armoured than his trusty companions. Nevertheless, he safely brought most of them within reach of the lair. He decided to set camp for the night and assault the hydra the next day. As dawn broke, he got up and gathered his gear and set off. But while standing in front of the lair contemplating the assualt - he realised he had been separated from his companions because they were too sleep addled to follow him properly.

Alone, faced with the choice of fighting a hydra to take over its cave and get shelter, and with hills bristling with fully armed goblins all around, he decided to leave his fate to Armok, and charged the hydra's lair. He got some good hits on the hydra, and stabbed it in the lungs, but it rushed him repeatedly, and he couldn't evade it. One of the great beast's heads got ahold of his shield arm and tore it clean off at the elbow. Realising he was overmatched, bleeding heavily and faint from the loss of blood, Zicab ran, with the hydra in hot pursuit. Trailing blood behind him, Zicab ducked into a copse of trees, hid himself, and snuck away from the rampaging hydra. Gripped by a fit of sentimentality, he looped around and went to the hydra's cave and retrieved his lost arm from the battlefield.

The desperate trek back, defeated and nursing a stump for an arm, was a continuous string of nightmares, each one waking into the next. First came the bogeymen, but he was well armoured and armed, and he made short work of them. Then goblin crossbowmen ambushed him, but he charged them, zig-zagging through the trees for cover and batting their bolts straight out of the air before dispatching them. He was stalked by a cougar, but turned the tables on it and the hunter became the hunted. He was attacked by a monstrous sea-serpent on the beach, which came out of the water in its blind animal rage to attack him. He killed the great beast and butchered it for food. It could have fed an army. Eventually he made his way to the abandoned temple of the flying, frozen-venom spitting, snail titan he had defeated many moons ago, and took rest in its eerie pillars. The temple was in safe territory, and the rest of the trip back was uneventful, except for another cougar.

Zicab made his way to Whispgloss and contemplated his adventuring career. He counted the notches on his belt, and found he had killed 111 named beasts, men, kobolds and goblins, and 19 nameless creatures. He chuckled to himself. He had faced hydras, dragons, titans, a cyclops, a giant sea monster and sent them all straight to hell, but everybody runs out of luck sometime. Penniless and down an arm, the greatest hero the allied human lands had ever known retired a pauper, and went back to living a quiet peasant life in the countryside. 

Some notes on Zicab's career:
He was a peasant. I didn't try any skill buffing. His combat skills were all obtained on the battlefield.
He once dodged into water, and was saved by his swimming skill.
In the later portion of his career, his armour saved him numerous times, mostly from goblin pot-shots and from the bogeymen who attacked him on his last mission. His helm also once deflected a direct halberd strike to the head from a goblin master.
Given all the horrors he has faced, Zicab fears Elephants and Camels the most. More than once has he emerged as the sole survivor of goblin raids where elephants were around.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:04:14 pm by drystan »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 09:29:01 pm »

Never underestimate armor skills...if possible train all survival related abilities.

One example of this is when I got caught by the webshot of a Giant Cave Spider, dodging & shield skills just drop to zero when you can't move at all for several turns while the bastard takes his time. It kept on going for my body but each time I was protected by my bismuth bronze mail from poisoned bites.

My adventurer being a small Kobold, a bite should have ripped out my guts or worse.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:37 pm »

Quote from: Kobold Troubadour
Watch as you get some Armor points for getting scratches & dents on your clothing, Agility points from missed attacks & evasions, Wrestling from your bored, occasional chokes & takedowns (Throwing them is for a later step)
Throwing them? How do you do this?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 01:06:29 am »

And, I do believe that companions can increase their skills in combat, like other people.

I can confirm this. I had a Maceman who lost his weapon and eventually changed to a Wrestler.

if anyone is trained in any combat skills and they lose there weapon they seem to automatically become a wrestler...but as long as the person has the [CAN_LEARN] tag (any human, elf, or dwarf does) then they should become better just like you...Only way I can think of confirming this is finding a way to babysit someone to become a champion which will get them to start blinking I believe...wish there was a way to tell...

As for wrestling...as long as you dont get hit while messing with em they are pretty much your play thing...I try and take there weapon from them from the start (or break arms or legs) and they are gimped hard core

I can confirm, they train. Found a shrine with my little band of misfits, and lets just say that only the lasher had the ability toi hurt the thing. My swordman passed the day trying to slash it and became a Swormaster for it's trouble. Sad thing i had to leave him behind to 'cover my retreat'

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:03 am »

When fighting an armed opponent, always try to get a square shot on his upper arms. If you can do that, you will stop him from using his weapon and shield.

Also, if there is a combat opportunity, no matter how ridiculous (biting someone in the first left toe), take it. Chances are you can make them pass out from the pain. After which, striking them down is as easy as 1-2-3.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:17:57 am by Dr. Melon »

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 02:58:35 am »

When fighting an armed opponent, always try to get a square shot on his upper arms. If you can do that, you will stop him from using his weapon and shield.

Also, if there is a combat opportunity, no matter how ridiculous (biting someone in the first left toe), take it. Chances are you can make them pass out from the pain. After which, striking them down is as easy as 1-2-3.

You mean A-a-c-a?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 03:35:52 am »

Knapping sucks. All it gets you is a 5lb stone that, even at masterwork, isn't as effective as a thrown bolt.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:48 pm »

when finding a place to sleep the real difference is sleeping INSIDE, even in a town outside at night they will getcha.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 01:20:37 pm »

Quote from: Kobold Troubadour
Watch as you get some Armor points for getting scratches & dents on your clothing, Agility points from missed attacks & evasions, Wrestling from your bored, occasional chokes & takedowns (Throwing them is for a later step)
Throwing them? How do you do this?

Once you grab an opponent by a body part, you can go back to that part in the wrestling menu and choose to throw the opponent. Usually the enemy will just become prone and stunned, staying in the same square, but if you're significantly larger than the foe and strong enough, you will make him fly a few squares. That usually just happens when you're fighting groundhogs or something, unless you're playing some huge thing like a bronze colossus.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:16 pm »

when finding a place to sleep the real difference is sleeping INSIDE, even in a town outside at night they will getcha.
Fortunately I was a tile away from the door when I found this out. Instead of waking the lord, I thought I'd sleep out in the courtyard like the soldiers. Woke up to cackling and scrambled inside.

greywar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »

Knapping sucks. All it gets you is a 5lb stone that, even at masterwork, isn't as effective as a thrown bolt.

It rules for training up stats though.

10 Pick up rock x 200
20 Remove rock x 200
30 Knapp x 200
40 Move one step any direction
50 Throw rock at self (never hits) x 200
60 Step back to orginal spot
70 GOTO 10

I miss BASIC.
I can just imagine dropping reanimated paratrooper werecarp onto unsuspecting towns, and mopping up the new converts to make into even more werecarp paratroopers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »

I've been playing it straight, as far as armor is concerned. Only stuff that can reasonably be layered is. So, no six shields, three helms, 4 hoods and 3 cloaks, or whatever.

Anyways, it seems like when an attack looks to penetrate, it only picks ONE of those armor layers to address. Either that, or its effect on the other layers goes unstated. Because there are PLENTY of times I've stabbed people from behind and it doesn't address their back armor, it addresses their cloaks. Same deal with hoods, helms and headshots. I can't prove any of this since I've not done the hardcore research or testing....but it seems like you don't get a huge advantage from exploiting the layering. If I'm right, it actually might HURT you, by providing weaker armor for an attack to strike instead of the intended, stronger armor.

RE: Fat people. If it's anything like dwarf mode, fatter people have more fat to absorb damage. But I believe it comes with lower speed and an endurance penalty of sorts. Either way, I'm pretty sure a layer of fat is a good thing as far as combat goes, as it will provide another layer against slashing attacks.

RE: Sleeping in sites. According to Toady, lairs and such are coded right now so that a) No decay ever occurs in them and b) they cannot be the target of NPCs other than the lair's owners. Therefore it's the best place to stash gear because it will never rot (even if it should) and never be stolen. It is also guaranteed to be safe. This will probably change in the future. But for right now, lairs are basically static pockets in the time of the world.

RE: Ambush sizes and reputation. As far as I can tell, ambushes come not from civs, but are the actual NPCs you would have been given a quest to kill, or are generated on demand. I believe this because: if you check the civ screen of a successful adventurer that hasn't been killing civs, there's not one civ out there that doesn't like you. Even Goblin civs like you, despite the hoards of goblins you may have killed. Secondly, I've found sites in the game, bandit camps, that have no one at them. This leads me to believe I've killed the leader already in an ambush, gotten it recognized by the world, and his camp is just sitting out there waiting to be looted.

Lastly, on ambushes, I don't think they're relative to your party size, at all. I think they're relative only to your reputation. I.e., it's suicide not to max out your party if you plan to be doing A LOT of overland traveling. Bouncing from city to city is pretty safe, but late game, any period of more than 12 hours of traveling is guaranteed to earn you an ambush, and they eventually get up to 15+ attackers. While Kobolds aren't that big of deal, and Humans are manageable, Goblins and Dwarves at that level will tear you apart with steel weapons, defend with at least metal armor and Goblins will dodge til the cows come home.

You want as many bodies between them and you as possible. So always, always max out your party size IMO. Even at the cost of skill opportunities. You can't get skill when you're dead or crippled. Consider too that anything FUN to do in adventure mode yields reputation. Doing anything significant increases how tough the world becomes. You need back up, and as much of it as you can get.

Finding Sites: Don't bother looking for Dwarf Fortresses right now, other than ones created by the player. They don't exist. I've wasted HOURS of time IRL looking for them.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:46:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5