Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Intensifying Mod ver 0.23  (Read 61236 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Intensifying Mod ver 0.23
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:43 am »

A mod designed to increase FPS and difficulty of DF while staying as true to the spirit of vanilla DF as possible. Unlike most mods which add things; IM mostly touch up old things to make them more unique instead. It used to be small, but it's quite a different beast now. English is not my natural language so aside from the usual help with bug hunting I'd also appreciate if I'm advised on how to make my package more informative and understandable. Have fun and report bugs. Give feedback if you can, especially if you dont like the mod.

Download at the depot

Details on 0.23 changes
Details on 0.22 changes

=== Installation Note ===
+ The current version (0.23) is technically compatible with saves from 0.22 and up, but it's your best interest to play it on new worlds.
+ Other mods which modify vanilla raws are likely not compatible with this one. Notable exception being Phoebus tileset, Ironhand tileset & Mayday tileset
+ Since 0.18 the Fotress defense mod has been built into this mod. All hail darkfragrance.

=== Features ===

Spoiler: Balanced activities (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Improved usability (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Challenges (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Honorable mentions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:00:40 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.00
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:42:43 am »

0.01 Changes
+ Fixed issues with stat decay which cause corrupted raw.
+ Fixed issues with shell which cause turtles to never be created.
+ Updated the custom creature to match its design.
+ Removed some more stone/item/soil.
+ Sorted stones and weapons.

It should be much more stable then the previous version, my condolence to the few people who tried it. The issue with toys and instruments remain but since (probably) no one make them anyway I'd leave it like that until artifacts are found to fail due to it.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.02
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:08 pm »

0.02 Change
+ Shorten temper of many creatures
+ Experimental tags on some creatures
+ Tweak on appearance of stones, gems, soils and trees to accommodate Phoebus graphics.
+ Reallocate some files and entries around to sort ingame entries
+ Now use .zip compression instead of .rar

Yay, 0.01 served 1 person. Let's see how long I can keep this going till people fed up with it.

The most noticeable change with this update is Phoebus support. Phoebus himself didnt respond to my request on his thread, but i went ahead and did what i can anyway. Look like i nailed most stuff so I released anyway.

The creature tweak is mostly to make wild animals less of a pushover. They'd be more likely to defend themselves instead of running away when attacked and actually hurt. Should makes more interesting hunts. There's no carps dragging dorfs into the river or anything like that, I swear.

Zombie miasma is absolutely ridiculous now thanks to the increased creature spawn. Especially around the upright spoiler, I got 4FPS right away on an otherwise 100FPS embark. Unfortunately it seem to be outside my power right now, zombies seem to have special tags to keep them smoking weed despite the fact that no creatures or tissues should ever produce miasma. Or maybe I am just suck with comprehending the raw.

Next I'd probably test on the extremities (toes, lips, eyebrows etc) to see if removing them improve FPS and/or alter combat results significantly.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.02
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »

I just want to mention that I've figured out the last feature to be included in the next integration. Release will be imminent and it will not be compatible with 0.02 so to the 2 persons who tried 0.02 PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report any issues you noticed so they wont get carried over to the next.

In case you are going to, I already know that tempered columns are heavier then the bars they came from.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.03
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:27:58 am »

0.03 Changes
+ Consolidate creature's anatomy. Random creatures not affected.
+ Many metal items now consume multiple bars to produce, appropriately to their size and/or value.
+ Fat and hair's isolation has been improved, compensating for the lack of clothing.
+ Merge tissue types of statistically identical organs.
+ Merge animal people into the vermin they base from.
+ Abaddon tweaked to discourage wrestler training on it.

The largest change in this version is consolidation of bodyparts. Let's look at your average dwarf:
30+ teeth -> jaw
28 ribs -> ribcage
upper/lower limbs, 8 total -> limb, 4 total
5-6 lower body innards -> intestine
Eye lids, eyelashes, cheeks, sideburns (8 total, could be more) -> uh?
20 Fingers & toes -> Your palm, nails grow from it.

On an average each creature now has 60-100 less objects to keep tracked of, multiplied by the 1-5 tissues layers normally associated with them. This should have !!SOME!! impact on FPS. If body parts generate miasma individually like they should, FPS should be even more noticable around undead creatures altho I however cant really nail on this one cause my fps is generally great anyway. Note to self: Test this. Alright, testing done. Embarked on a tigerman upright spoiler. 66 pages of undead tigermen merrily reduced my FPS to less then 1/s. However, each tigermen has only about half as many rotting body part listed in their description as I can recall in 0.02. Supposedly that mean half the miasma. on average.

Aside from FPS improvement the consolidation should also cause some changes in aimed combat. For once there are less ridiculous to worry about. like ! on fifth toe, left foot. Secondly, no more biting 6 people and latches on all of them at once. Teeth are now treated as one. Thirdly, scratching and biting should do more damage because the limbs these attacks come from are larger. I personally havent seen any improvement, however.

The other major change with this version is the increase material use for production. Long timers is already familiar with it but I am not one, so this is even fresh for me. For once picks and axes now take 2 bars so right off the bat embark profile need to be changed. Second, serrated disks and spiked balls each take 8 bars and other traps need 4 bars, making them roughly as valuable as axes in term of bars. so no more 2 serrated disks buying whole caravan. Unfortunately, with this change, roast become king of trade. I've tried to nerf value of replenishable goods but there's no good way to do that; you either get no money for them, or goblins maraud in from first summer. Hopefully this will be addressed by Toady himself from next dwarf version.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:09:01 am by rephikul »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 02:32:42 am »

Just wanted to say thanks, I love aimed attacks but hate opportunity strikes to the left pinky.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 02:47:10 am »

I love aimed attacks but hate opportunity strikes to the left pinky.
Me too, it's much more meaningful to punch people's jaw off in one strike.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:06:41 am »

I love aimed attacks but hate opportunity strikes to the left pinky.
Me too, it's much more meaningful awesome to punch people's jaw off in one strike.
くコ:彡

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:11:20 am »

I'm digging the fast world gens, although I'm not so sure about the lack of clothing. I'll play for a bit and see. High FPS is also very cool.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:22:42 am by OmnipotentGrue »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:16 am »

I'm digging the fast world gens, although I'm not so sure about the lack of clothing. I'll play for a bit and see. High FPS is also very cool.
Default skin insulation is polar-bear-grade. Default fat insulation is twice as good. Until a FB with rapid rot drop by, even imported tropical animals should be fine running around in snowstorm. These are just in theory, anyway. There's always a chance of something hard coded messing it up. I dont have much experience in the glacier nor with temperature enabled so real game feedback is always appreciated.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that skin/fat have been made stronger, although I'm just not sure I like the idea of a nudist fort  :P Quick question: If a dwarf was to wear clothes, would that be equivalent to wearing armour in vanilla DF, or have they been modded too?

Also, DF crashed in Fortress Mode, I think as it was trying to transition from Summer to Autumn. This has never happened to me before in vanilla DF (It could have always just been a one-off thing with my computer, but I thought I'd let you know just in case).

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:22 am »

Yeah, I noticed that skin/fat have been made stronger, although I'm just not sure I like the idea of a nudist fort  :P Quick question: If a dwarf was to wear clothes, would that be equivalent to wearing armour in vanilla DF, or have they been modded too?
Yes, everything wearable are amour now, just set all but miners/woodcutters in squads and you are good to go. As for the nudism comment, dorfs eventually get naked when their initial clothing wear away anyway so it doesnt change much in that regard.

Also, DF crashed in Fortress Mode, I think as it was trying to transition from Summer to Autumn. This has never happened to me before in vanilla DF (It could have always just been a one-off thing with my computer, but I thought I'd let you know just in case).
I have no problems getting new seasons or caravan so hopefully it's a fluke on your side. When you reload, did the game proceed normally? Were you about to make an artifact? Care to glance into errorlog.txt and gamelog.txt and see if anything abnormal show up at the bottom?

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:37:07 am »

I checked gamelog and errorlog and nothing seems to be out of order, I suppose it was just my computer not wanting to cooperate. Unfortunately I lost that fort to the crash, so I can't really try and replicate it without trying to get to the same spot on another fort, but I'll be playing some more and see what I can come up with. Really liking it, though - nice job.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:23 pm »

0.04 Changes
+ Added an entry for toy, instrument and dye to satisfy hard-coded conflicts.
+ Fixed limonite color to red, matching all other iron ores.

My prediction was true, the game indeed assume at least one sample of each object type to exist in game. This is just a minor bug fix to resolve that. Saves in 0.03 can be safely injected with this new version, however it will still crash to the bug, effectively changing nothing. Only worlds created with 0.04 raw support production and preference to those items.

I dont like the idea of adding dimple cup back in the game so plump helmet can now be milled into purple plump helmet dye to cover dye requirement, making it the crown champion of all-purpose plant ever. Maybe I should make it a building-grade, magma-safe tree with spoiler strands to seal the deal too  8)

I suppose it was just my computer not wanting to cooperate.
No it was me being over optimistic about game features.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:45:32 pm by rephikul »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 04:48:13 pm »

It hasn't crashed for me yet, though my errorlog is giving me this, ad infinitum:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that, it's fun. I played a dwarf peasant and managed to kill a few night creatures before I got jumped from behind and dismembered.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22