Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions from a new modder.  (Read 3475 times)

Kuya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions from a new modder.
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:23 am »

Hey guys im new to the DF modding, just wondering if you could look at my code and see whats wrong with it (a lot most likely). I also would like to know where to place it when im done, not sure its in the right place. Its something like a curse, that sets the person on fire and enables them to hurl fireballs. Thanks guys.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
☼This Signature☼

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions from a new modder.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

As long as it's in a file called interaction_immolation you've got everything in the right place.  I don't see anything wrong with the interaction.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Kuya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:07:39 pm »

As long as it's in a file called interaction_immolation you've got everything in the right place.  I don't see anything wrong with the interaction.

Is there something I have to do in order to make it able to be placed on a creature in the testing arena?
☼This Signature☼

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »

Is there something I have to do in order to make it able to be placed on a creature in the testing arena?
You already added it with the IE_ARENA_NAME:, when you create a creature in the arena press u until  Immolated One appears.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Kuya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »

You already added it with the IE_ARENA_NAME:, when you create a creature in the arena press u until  Immolated One appears.

Right, but it still doesnt show up. Not sure what to do at this point.
☼This Signature☼

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:30:39 pm »

I don't think that HOMEOTHERM tag can work, and in addition, CE_ADD_TAG can only add certain tags; I think the game's file_changes.txt file has a list. Also, should that syndrome effect really have an END? It's a pretty short-lasting curse!

[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:HAND]

Personally, I'd change the body part to BY_TYPE:GRASP to account for the possibility of modded intelligent creatures who grasp using a different part, but it's not a big deal.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kuya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »

I don't think that HOMEOTHERM tag can work, and in addition, CE_ADD_TAG can only add certain tags; I think the game's file_changes.txt file has a list. Also, should that syndrome effect really have an END? It's a pretty short-lasting curse!

Personally, I'd change the body part to BY_TYPE:GRASP to account for the possibility of modded intelligent creatures who grasp using a different part, but it's not a big deal.

If I want to make the cure last forever would I made the end be 0?

Also, im not quite sure im placing the file in the right location. its raw/interaction examples?
☼This Signature☼

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »

It should be placed in raw/objects folder.
If you want it last forever you do not specify end of a syndrome at all, just like you've done already, G-Flex must have meant the pain part of it, which is quite short (and I presume quite slight) indeed.
I presume add_tag doesn't accept tags with numerical values as of now (what G-FLEX said actually)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »

If I want to make the cure last forever would I made the end be 0?

Also, im not quite sure im placing the file in the right location. its raw/interaction examples?

Making the end "0" would make it end immediately. Just remove the PEAK: and END: bits and you should be fine.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Kuya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »

Alright I've increaded the pain duration (I only want it to hurt for a bit). Then added the file into raw/objects as interactions_immolation, but it seems to still not want to work. Does anyone have an example where it was sucessfully put into the arena?
☼This Signature☼