Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: Intensifying Mod ver 0.23  (Read 61339 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.05
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 08:57:33 pm »

Question: Abaddon.  Flying monkey that pisses my struggling dwarves off.  What the hell man :P

edit: this mod brings the Fun already.  I identified a leak in my walls (a ramp that really shouldn't work like a ramp) and told some dwarves to fix it.  Before they could, about twenty warthogs randomly decided to funnel through it and sit on the interior side of my cage traps... just as a migrant wave came.  The migrants funneled through the main gate and caused the warthogs to scatter further back into my above ground structures, where they started to panic. 

So many deaths...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:21:29 pm by duckInferno »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:25 pm »

And ze traps... zey do nozing against ze horsevasion

HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:48 am »

Wow what're you doing with all those bags?

The abaddon is both a harm and a help. It is an excellent culling machine and an early game danger room. Recruits should be able to pick up fighting skills quickly against it, assuming they can survive the occasional counterstrikes. The training cost is pretty affordable too. I hope you built those workshops with cheap woods 8) When you are done with training, send the miners.

Dont build traps en mass like that, put small amount of traps at many places. If you have noticed, wildlife tend to flock around the place where one of them getting trapped, usually set off the surrounding traps as well. Thus, you can keep them at bay by multiple, well spread out trap layers. Alternatively, just station a crossbowman there to scare them away.

On a side note, I'm having the same problem as yours with the horses. But in my cause, those are unicorns on edge traps. Every now and then, migrants spawn on the herds and fun ensured.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 04:28:00 am »

Yeah, I'll design around the huge packs in the future.  It's really funny though just how much those horses messed me up.  I was making a drawn out embark, relying mostly on luck and cage traps to see me through to an operational fortress while I dig the massive quantities of rock out and smooth over places.  I had no fresh water (it wasn't a priority compared to other things), so the odd horse kick = dead dwarf no matter what happens.  A dwarf with a broken nose would rest in the hospital then die from a lack of water, heh. 

So a horse that managed to get herded into a corner of my fortress managed to rack up a sizeable number of kills, despite him mostly staying out of the way.

As for the bags, I had a lot of embark points left over and just decided to spam sand.  I thought it'd stack them in a single bag, turns out it gives me a free bag every time for only 1 embark point :D.  They're all splayed over by the entrance just to get them inside the walls while I dig out the fort.

Still, you're evil:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:ORANGUTAN]
[DESCRIPTION:This foul creature defies all logics and reasons.]
[NAME:abaddon:abaddons:abaddon]
[CASTE_NAME:abaddon:abaddons:abaddon]
[CREATURE_TILE:'O'][COLOR:6:0:0]
[PETVALUE:50000]
[NATURAL]
[BENIGN][MEANDERER]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[CANNOT_UNDEAD]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0]
[FLIER][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NOEXERT][NOBREATHE][NO_FEVERS][NONAUSEA][NOTHOUGHT][NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION]
[ITEMCORPSE:RING:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:RUBY][NOT_BUTCHERABLE][SMALL_REMAINS]
[LOCKPICKER]
[MISCHIEVIOUS]
[TRAPAVOID]
[CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:5]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:20000:50000]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[PREFSTRING:savagery]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:10]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:15 am »

A dwarf with a broken nose would rest in the hospital then die from a lack of water, heh.
Shouldnt you have murky pools? I dont ever have running water myself cause it hurt fps but murky pools solve all problems.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 06:41:12 am »

A dwarf with a broken nose would rest in the hospital then die from a lack of water, heh.
Shouldnt you have murky pools? I dont ever have running water myself cause it hurt fps but murky pools solve all problems.
Salt water, I'm afraid.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »

Still, you're evil:
Well, I take that as a compliment. Based on the code, you are probably on .04. In that version, they are quite killable because they bleed. I dont like the idea of a construct-esque creature to leave behind pools of blood so i removed blood from them in .05 thinking they'd just bleed nothing without considering that without anything to bleed, they simply wont die of blood loss which's how most forts will kill them with. They are simply too large to reliably serve off body parts.

And this is the result of .05 post-release abaddon testing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After testing, the baddon has been made to be able to die of blood loss like in .04 but with a slight interesting twist which I wont disclose  8) Let's see what .06 bring

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:30:42 am by rephikul »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.06
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:18 am »

0.06 Changes
+ Added many new syndromes to existing and new creatures
+ Adjusted some creature's anatomy, herding behaviour and the way they attack.
+ Nerfed Abaddon back to .04 tier

I want to release something quick to fix the abaddon. Rule 151 on creature designing clearly stated that no common creature should be a !!FUN!! hammerer at the earliest time it can spawn. In the case of the abaddon, it can spawn on day one and supposedly shouldnt cause much trouble to 7 dwarves. Unfortunately that's not the case and the abaddon need to be nerfed. However, I dont think i should release a save-breaking release just to fix the baddon, so I included works done so far on other animals. I hope you guys will enjoy it.

Syndrome changes
Most of these are associated with physical attacks and gratuitously given to many creatures. They are described in inorganic_syndrome but I'd mention some here:
+ Blunt trauma aka shockwave: Given as injection to creatures with strong blunt attacks for their size i.e. horse, elephant or white sharks. Since they need to penetrate skin for the trauma to kick in, it's a minor syndrome. However, mega beasts receive them as a pointblank aoe, which mean they can easily knock dwarves off their toe just from walking. Resistible so it sound more awesome then its actual performance.
+ Laceration aka tear: A kind of passive resistance syndrome associated with clawing from lesser creatures such as cat. Cause long term minor pain. Crundles are especially good with this.
+ Puncture: Cause organ impair function. Given to some horned creatures such as elephants, swordfish and minotaur. Sound awesome, but the attack need to at least bruise said organ to impair it, which it usually does without puncturing anyway. A tiny whinily minor syndrome. Btw, I actually added the sword to the swordfish. The vanilla swordfish has just a snout nose. Swordfish fencing has never been so bloody.
+ Rabies: Exactly what it say on the can. Infect via bites of small to average rodents and canines. A very dangerous syndrome, manifest about a week after infection and slowly kill the target during the next week. Werewolves are too big and sentient to infect this, however.
+ Rupture: Cause extra heavy bleeding. Very strong biters (crocodiles, white sharks) will cause this.
+ Some creatures are given mild specific syndromes: giant bat's screech, devourer digestive acid, sea serpent share snake bite with helmet snake, stingray's stab also annoying and giant frogs (formerly toad) secret toxin on its skin like cave blob.

And one more thing... hydra forever changed. Each of the heads are now named and each will inject its own brand of lethality. I think 0.06 is worth the download just for the hydra duels in the arena alone. So try it  8)

Creature adjustments
Creatures without tight society structure or herding behaviors now no longer flock together when spawn on the maps. Underground creatures are also more likely to roam about. Given horns and charge attacks on some creatures that suppose to have them. Removed teeth from some filter feeder fishes. Grant some elementals and cyclops the rock toss attack as ranged attack. Amethyst men toss microcline btw, not amethysts 8) And of course, nerfed les abaddon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:13:50 am by rephikul »

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 10:27:10 pm »

Still in 0.5, a couple dozen chimps spawned.  They all went straight for my poor little deconstructed wagon.  In all, about a third of my 20 dwarves lost their lives and the chimps made off with a disturbingly large quantity of loot.  Enjoying this mod :)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 01:58:10 am »

Still in 0.5, a couple dozen chimps spawned.  They all went straight for my poor little deconstructed wagon.  In all, about a third of my 20 dwarves lost their lives and the chimps made off with a disturbingly large quantity of loot.  Enjoying this mod :)
Wow thank you for reporting this (actually 2) bugs. Chimps are supposed to act like buzzards and they shouldnt spawn so many. The only guys acting like you described are dark gnomes.

EDIT: 0.07 is getting held back because i'm busy with work and couldnt get a proper fort to set up and properly test the changed megabeasts. Hang on!!

EDIT 2: I went over all the item stealers to *balance* them. Enjoy your chimp armies while it last.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:36:58 pm by rephikul »

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:44 am »

What's the tileset you used for the screenshot on the first page? I mean, I recognize Phoebus' art but where'd you get the pseudo-3D effect?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 05:41:16 am »

What's the tileset you used for the screenshot on the first page? I mean, I recognize Phoebus' art but where'd you get the pseudo-3D effect?
I used windows 7's MS Paint to merge multiple z levels together.

Coincidentally, I have something to notify: I just took a bath and the soothing effect of warm water running against my skin has greatly aided me in meditation. The result was I have finished brewing ideas for 0.07 and it'd be released soonish when I finish testing 0.06's titans. So if you noticed any errors in 0.06 kindly let me know. Particularly I want to know if anyone has got an abaddon spawn in his fort in 0.06. I probably have borked it during the *fix* :o

Shadowstar009

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:34 pm »

I used windows 7's MS Paint to merge multiple z levels together.

I was wondering the same thing.  Damn, it's too bad that isn't an actual view mode, it looks great.  One of my biggest pet peeves with DF is trying to keep track of creatures going up and down big hills when you can only see a tiny fraction of the hill at once.

This mod looks pretty interesting though.  I like the idea of condensing some of the less essential stuff - that might help preserve some of my sanity.  I'll have to try it out later.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:54 pm »

I have to say, I'm glad you made this mod. Not having clothing lieing around and a good FPS certainly is nice.

Though, you made lignite and peat the same color. May want to change that(I'm playing without any graphic set).
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 10:26:18 pm »

Though, you made lignite and peat the same color. May want to change that(I'm playing without any graphic set).
Done. Lignite will look like coal as it should and peat got its vanilla green back.
When you are at it, can you comment on look & feel of these buildings? I'm not sure how they look from the perspective of a vanilla graphics player.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22