Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Introducing Music  (Read 4284 times)

Wayfarer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Introducing Music
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:33:05 am »

I think it's about time that music is introduced to DF.
We have instruments and musical talent in the status-screen.
My Idea would be, that one "noble" can be assigned bard. that bard then drafts other dwarves to the band, assigning them instruments and "forcing" them to practice. If no seperate room is assigned "stage", then they will practice and perform in the meeting hall, giving every dwarf who hears the rehearsal a bad thought, since it's so awful. giving them a seperate room allows them to play songs on certain occations, giving the entire fort a huge boost in happiness.
Any thoughts on this?
"Dwarf Fortress cancels simulating an epic fight between a giant bat and an axedwarf: Useless dwarfs pumping out more useless dwarfs from between their short stubby leggs"

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Music
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:06:56 am »

If they play badly in the meeting room, why would they suddenly play better on stage and raise happiness?  ???

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:16 am »

I guess OP means that Dwarfs would get a bad thought while the bard was crap. I personally prefer the idea of a wandering minstrel, perhaps with the odd performance in the meeting area. Perhaps loo(k)ing at him would be like an engraving, relating whatever his current song/tale was about.
*Hugs*

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »

I also think this should be used for adventure mode!

For example, say you go to a town and start playing a flute. If you are good, someone goes up to you and gives you money. If you keep going to different towns, you'll get more and more famous and might even be able to play in front of the king.

Pros: Way to make money easily.

Cons: You need to earn it. You can't set the skill automatically.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »

Or Elona style, Have them throw rocks if you're crap.
*Hugs*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:53 pm »

Or Craftybit's OBSE style, give you bottles full of poison  :D

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 03:34:56 pm »

For example, say you go to a town and start playing a flute. If you are good, someone goes up to you and gives you money. If you keep going to different towns, you'll get more and more famous and might even be able to play in front of the king.

It would be great if you can sing of your own adventures and the quality of the performance depends also on how eroic they were.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:03:06 pm »

It would be great if you can sing of your own adventures and the quality of the performance depends also on how eroic they were.

Nah, you can sing about anything, and if you're good at it, you can make it sound like an epic. I garnered modest fame at school (so many years ago) for my epic: The Tale of the Trip to the Co-op. Unfortunately it's not very good when written down, it's kind of a performance.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »

Nah, you can sing about anything, and if you're good at it, you can make it sound like an epic. I garnered modest fame at school (so many years ago) for my epic: The Tale of the Trip to the Co-op. Unfortunately it's not very good when written down, it's kind of a performance.

Wait...

Does that mean you can sing about a fish that conquered the entire universe?

Wayfarer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

Does that mean you can sing about a fish that conquered the entire universe?

I guess this is how religions are started.

Then again, we have carp!
"Dwarf Fortress cancels simulating an epic fight between a giant bat and an axedwarf: Useless dwarfs pumping out more useless dwarfs from between their short stubby leggs"

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:21 am »

It would be great if you can sing of your own adventures and the quality of the performance depends also on how erotic they were.

You mistyped, but don't worry I knew exactly what you ment.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:20:00 am »

It would be great if you can sing of your own adventures and the quality of the performance depends also on how erotic they were.

You mistyped, but don't worry I knew exactly what you ment.

"The shaken cow's milk of my design bringeth all of the young men to the three feet I claim as my own, they decree that it is of a higher quality than that which you produce, by damnation, it is indeed of a higher quality than that which you produce. I could instruct you in the correct technique, but I would have to levy a fee."
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »

Maybe not a noble, I like the idea better, of it being a profession, kinda scares me, to think a bard, has the ability to draft, my miner to stop me from digging, and my smith to stop me from making weapons, and my mechanic, to stop him from pulling the lever to lift that bridge as the goblins are coming. Or worse yet, I get sieged, and everybody has "attend performance", while the goblins run crazy through my fort. Otherwise, like the idea of a dwarf whose sole purpose is to entertain, and keep the population happy. Should also have singers, for when you don't have instruments, and maybe even just story tellers, or jesters while were at it. I mean, engravers basically just make people happy, but they also massively increase rent, if you like to have an economy.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »

TheyTarget. I commend you on the use of punctuation, but putting all those commas everywhere makes it a teeny bit difficult to understand what you're saying.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37:53 am »

TheyTarget. I commend you on the use of punctuation, but putting all those commas everywhere makes it a teeny bit difficult to understand what you're saying.

Yeah, thats a bad habit I have. I wasn't really taught to read and write in a proper school environment. I only do it when I'm not writing formally though. I"ll rewrite if it's actually that difficult to read.

Maybe have it not be a noble. I like the idea better of it being a profession. Kinda scares me to think a bard has the ability to draft my miner to stop me from digging, and my smith to stop me from making weapons, and my mechanic to stop him from pulling the lever to lift that bridge as the goblins are coming. Or worse yet, I get sieged and everybody has "attend performance", while the goblins run crazy through my fort. Otherwise I like the idea of a dwarf whose sole purpose is to entertain and keep the population happy. Should also have singers, for when you don't have instruments, and maybe even just story tellers or jesters while were at it. Engravers basically just make people happy, but they also massively increase rent if you like to have an economy.

Thats was actually horrible, sorry. I have to reread things when I post at the middle of the night again.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: [1] 2 3