Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Just embark tool  (Read 42226 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Just embark tool
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

Embarking on a 16x16 map, will (in some cases) use more than 3 or 4GB of RAM. Unfortunately, this problem isn't solvable by buying more. DF is a 32-bit program and will always have a limited RAM capacity.
Except that 32-bit applications, unless they have the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag, are limited to all of 2 GiB of RAM.  If it were using 3-4 as you suggest, nobody would be able to embark on it.

I just tested a 16x16 embark, and while I know it won't be the same for all cases (as you state), it only took 1.5 GB (decimal...  1522K) of my RAM.

EDIT: Of course, that's not to say it's playable in that state.  I tried to export an image of it, and the game crashed.
Maybe that's just an instability or bug of 31.19, but...

Most exe's can be made /LARGEADDRESSAWARE with minimal hassle.  I believe editbin will do so, as will this little gem here -> http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

I used this to embark on a human fortress, and I had prepared my making most of my dwarves military. It loaded to an empty fortress made of Native gold.  :D
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »

I used this to embark on a human fortress, and I had prepared my making most of my dwarves military. It loaded to an empty fortress made of Native gold.  :D

Best pastureland for cows ever. (unless it was platinum, aluminum, or blue stuff)

C.A.M.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:25 am »

I Downloaded this program, And when i try to run it, It keeps saying it's not able to find patch locations, Am i doing something wrong? I Don't think it would have anything to do with my dwarf fortress version, As it doesn't seem to even interact with it at all.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 07:05:45 am »

.exe version does not run under 32 bit Windows. Source code does not contain necessary included files to recompile for 32 bit windows.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:33 am »

I Downloaded this program, And when i try to run it, It keeps saying it's not able to find patch locations, Am i doing something wrong? I Don't think it would have anything to do with my dwarf fortress version, As it doesn't seem to even interact with it at all.

.exe version does not run under 32 bit Windows. Source code does not contain necessary included files to recompile for 32 bit windows.

Seeing as people seemed to be having problems, I did a routine check if the tool still works.

As for 32-bit problem, I tested on a 32-bit Windows XP using DF 0.31.25 and it worked. It's compiled as 32-bit and there shouldn't be anything that depends on 64-bit Windows.

I noticed that if you try to run the tool again when it's already run once on DF, it will complain about the patch locations (as it patched the code and can no longer find the old code it's programmed to look for). This is harmless but can be a little confusing especially when on the first run it doesn't say anything at all (so you question yourself did the program run at all?).

The code is rather trivial and if you want to contribute, just inform me what to change and I'll update the file...
I make dead people. Dfterm3

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

Attempting to run the .exe gives "C:\\...\just_embark.exe is not a valid win32 application."

The source code provided ends after the following:

Code: [Select]
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPrev, LPSTR argv, int argc)
{
    // Just assume there won't be more than 2000 processes running at t

which throws a compiler error.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 05:39:50 pm »

Windows on Linux is a different matter, I'm guessing. Few if any tools that search for DF memory work in that situation.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:43 pm »

I'm gettng an MSVCR100.DLL error, checked to make sure I have it, but it's not there. Did you not put the .dll file together with JustEmbark?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

richieelias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:00 pm »

This should answer your question.
(if it complains about missing MSVCR100.dll, download this from Microsoft's site)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »

Can this work on mac? and if not, Port plz.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 04:11:51 pm »

Can this work on mac? and if not, Port plz.
It's not that simple. Macs in general are very restricted when it comes to 3rd party software. don't expect this to be possible.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 01:45:56 pm »

omg thx!
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 07:30:50 am »

Best pastureland for cows ever. (unless it was platinum, aluminum, or blue stuff)

I once ran in to a couple of human castles made of native platinum in adventure mode before.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 10:07:04 am »

Gonna embark on two different places in human territory:
Farmland to steal their prickle berries and,
A town area with shops to steal and use all their loot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5