Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Crazy Cow's MUCH better approach to caste percentages than Leb's and should be implemented before you have to find Leb and punch him in the gut?

Yes, add it now, NOW!
- 3 (60%)
No, RNG is my waifu.
- 0 (0%)
Something else, specify(I know you won't).
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 17, 2012, 01:42:41 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Lore/AdventureQuest mod. Looking for a new owner!  (Read 31251 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile

Oh look, I'm posting in this thread again.
IS IT A NEW VERSION? Hell no, completely the opposite actually.

I deleted my DFFD file for this. Why?

Well today I decided that before I get started on studying for upcoming tests, I should check on something that's been bugging me for a while. Random looks to the Legends file that I tend to do have caused MYSTERY CRASHES. First I figured it was some entity creature causing issues, so I tried sorting those out. Edited this and that around some of 'em, and finally I got a world to gen to 150 years and with Legends that didn't have a crash when I quick-browsed to the end of the list.

Annnd of course soon after I threw all the entities back to do ONE MORE TEST, it crashed again. Damn it, oh well time to sort out again right?

Well with just the Adventurers I noticed that there was still a crash issue. So I have come to the conclusion that it might not be the entity creatures at all, but some of the mod's wildlife, probably some creature that's taking a lair and starting to mess about and then causing a crash because fuck-if-I-know-why.

So for the time being I'm taking the mod down because if there's one thing I don't like, it's making a mod that may have an issue with a wild creature that MIGHT even pop up during Fort Mode and cause the whole god damn thing to crash.

Once school ends and summer vacation starts, I'll be tackling the entire mod and doing some proper mod creature messing about. Probably make the mod creatures more specific txt files than 2 files where every single fucking one of them is thrown. Should help me pinpoint the problem anyway. Hopefully.

I figured that I could go for some extra insanity too and try out vBase, that looks like a decent way of doing stuff with creature variation and shit. Maybe it would even make the mod a tad better, WHO KNOWS, I don't, I haven't looked into it too much yet and how it'll affect the creatures.

But yeah. I suspect it'll take at least two weeks before I start work on this and probably two more for me to finish work on all the creatures again. Sorting them out isn't going to be a problem, but finding what the hell among them is being stupid, now that might be a challenge.

I'm sure it's going to be something painfully obvious, but whatever man.
I'll try to get this up and running in a month or so. Maybe sooner, depends how much work I got ahead due to summer and farmwork and yeah, you know what I mean.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile

Hope this gets up soon, seems like a great idea.

Played AQ for.... too long, and I'm too proud to give it up.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile

You think that's bad?
I still play it at times. And I was also the first guy to get to level 130 when they raised the level cap there.

GOOD TIMES.
GOOD TIMES.

all those hours wasted

EDIT: Update log so far:
I frigging love VBASE. Especially for having stuff that can make body tissues and materials much tougher. Dragons surprisingly are going to be big bad-asses. Pretty sure artifact weapons made of their bones will be pretty good too. Or not. The x3 bone value has 4500 for MAX_EDGE. Iron has 10k. I'm sure the other numbers mean stuff too but I figure you just can't beat a good metal blade, even if you have a long sword made out of plasma dragon spine.

Dragons have been thrown into their own file. About 1/3rd done with them. Pretty good results so far.

Acidragon got the material upgrade first and I threw it against a bronze dragon to try it out. Acidragon was victorious and only suffered a few bruises. Other tests showed that yes, they're bad-ass with the material upgrades.

This will make for HILARIOUS occurrances with wild dragon attacks, but also makes them a lot better at defending your place than they are able right now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 04:27:15 pm by Ieb »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Lore/AdventureQuest mod. Now VBASE-constructed!
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:38 am »

You remember when I said it'd take me a month to redo this mod?
Yeah that was a lie.

So these two past two days I've been sitting down and going through creature after creature, upgrading, improving and god-knows-what, while I should have been studying for a math test tomorrow, but I just can't help it, I love you guys SO much!

Well anyway.

Lessee, what's new.

Dragons are now more bad-ass.
Some wild creatures have become more bad-ass.
Megabeasts are now more bad-ass.
I finally did something I should have done a long time ago and gave all the Adventurer castes their own descriptions, since they're supposed to be different classes. They don't really show up that much ingame though, but now at least you'll know who is who. If you care.
A lot of the domestic animals can now also appear in the wild.
Vampires and Werewolves are now Night_Hunter creatures and will randomly kidnap neighbouring civ people to turn 'em into, well, vamps or werewolves.
I messed around the artifact weapon file too a bit more, trying to give the numbers a bit more variety. They're still good weapons, but some are better than others. I think. Assuming I understood the numbers correctly.

That's about it though.

But Mr. Ieb, does this mean you found and fixed that crash issue you were talking about?
Ha ha, of course not!

I tried to find it, but really, I have no god damn idea what it is that's causing the crash. There aren't any error log mentions either, and sometimes it occurs with this setting and then it doesn't with the exact same setting(meaning same creature and entity files). It only seems to happen in Legends mode though so there's at least SOME good thing about it.

But I WILL try to find it!

After next week. That's when exam week is over and I can finally relax and start doing work on the mod that I should have been doing only next week instead of this weekend!

Let's just say that this is my gift to you, my friends, who obviously survived the Rapture.

It's either that or Heaven/Hell is a lot more boring than I imagined.

Ignore the fact that I'm basically using you people in a bug-search of sorts. At least I assume this is a bug-search. THAT ONE GUY who uses my mod says he's never had a Legends mode crash, but I'm not going to rule it out as my comp being stupid just yet.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:30:37 am by Ieb »

brendanfox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »

Werepyres. you forgot em. also, there was a dude who made AQ videos on youtube, Zeruel or something.  maybe you should try to find him or something.
"Prudence demands that you consider suicide."
Your dorven axe looks like one of the short hairy fellows decided "That guillotine would probably hurt if i swung it!"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »

I never was really that big with the concept of Werepyres.
We already got Vamps and Lycan, so why would we need a new civ that is just the two combined? I MIGHT add 'em if I think there'd be some merit in it. Maybe after we get the new version and curses and so on. Assuming that they work the way I think they will.

Also, uhh, why would I want to contact Zeruel? Just asking.

Anyway.
I've been going around MSN and asking people to help me out with the Legend crash issue. The results have been... Odd.

Out of 4 people who have tried my mod(myself included), 2 have had the Legends mode crash issue while the other 2 have not. I just got done talking with one guy about testing it and apparently his Legends Hist. Figures list worked just fine.

I'll try to talk to more people and have this checked out. It might be that it's something about my OS fucking around since both people who didn't have the crash issue were on W7.

But if YOU PERSON WHO MIGHT DL THIS MOD would like to help out, just PM me whether or not you have a crash issue when checking the Legends>Historical Figures of a world generated with this mod and what OS you have. I've had the issue start popping up at around 100+ years but it MIGHT appear earlier. If it does at all.

Assuming we get enough data on the crash, I could rule it out as a weird fucked up problem with the operating system.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:17:15 pm by Ieb »

brendanfox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

there probably exists somebody on this forum who is an AQ expert.  Also, i still use my werepyre armor for the double hit and slight healing.
Your dorven axe looks like one of the short hairy fellows decided "That guillotine would probably hurt if i swung it!"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

I MIGHT be one.
I started playing around the end of '03, or the early '04. Can't remember.

But anyway.
I think I got the aspects of AQ pretty well covered right now. Checking the Pedia if there's any new monsters that I could add, pets and so on.
Thinking about it, I COULD add the Eclipsus at some point. Or whatever they were called again. They look interesting enough. Maybe a babysnatcher+night_creature civ... That might make 'em accurate regarding the fluff I've managed to gather about 'em so far.

brendanfox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »

there is an AQ wikipedia. win.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:52 am »

Well, that's math test done. Now I just need to wait a while to find out whether I failed horribly or not, ha ha!

Well anyway. A thought crossed my mind just now and I figured, hey, why not ask about it here, where all the people who play the mod show up!

While we can't currently have multi-creature forts, where members of more than one species are around as functional members of the entity, I thought "why not mess about with castes?"

There's a crapload of civilizations in the mod so I might try and see how well things would work if we could get "outsiders" of those civ's to migrate into Adventurer forts/cities. Shouldn't be too hard, they are humanoid for the most part so it'd be just a matter of copying some of the extra bodyparts for all their caste mentions and the rest would work out pretty well. I think. Will do some testing on it later on. The Clawg and Gargel might pose an issue since they aren't humanoid, but ehh I guess it's time to find out how well they'd function.

I MIGHT also be able to make it that only the Adventurers would be able to breed without taking away genders from the outsiders. Will need to test that as well. If not, well uhh, I guess then it'd just be that the crab-people might breed with the furry little moglins and give birth to a gargel.

Talk about a confusing love story.
Or wait, confusing fan-fic.

On second thought, let's not talk about it at ALL.
But yeah, I'll try this idea out and see how well it works, especially the breeding and non-humanoid caste members. If it all goes well, we can have simulated multi-species cities that anyone can create! If it all goes to hell, things go as normal. Hooray!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:31:04 am by Ieb »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 03:45:32 am »

YES.

I'm doing great !!SCIENCE!!

So far I've gotten like 6 of the races to properly function as caste members! Previously my attempts at this have ALWAYS crashed and burned when the "N/A blood" or "unknown creature substance" issue pops up, but by meddling with the code like fuck, I actually managed to make the entire mess ordered properly AND currently it all works even when I've went over my previous limit of 8 extra caste types with new body parts!

It's complex and ridiculous but IT WORKS and that has made me happy.
ESPECIALLY when there's actually no bugs like extra body parts piling up the longer down you go down the caste line!

Shit, I might just pull this off.
I still need to make sure though that when I add all the different castes their own body hair and colors and so on that there's no issues, but I'll do that at the end. It's just a matter of copy&paste anyway.

But yeah. Assuming no new obstacle appears out of nowhere, prepare for a multi-culture fortress experience, adventurers, gargels, moglins and even naga and harpies, all working together to... Well, kill things I guess.

HOWEVER.

My attempts to make the other castes unable to breed failed. How so?
Wellll.... It worked alright for births. Only adventurer caste got born, AND THEN an orc kid migrated and immediately died of old age. WHOOPS. I think we'll just make it so that every caste can breed and if anyone asks how an adventurer gave birth to a naga, well... Warlic did it.

That damn archmage.

I'll probably wait until the new DF version comes out and then release this thing.
Or maybe AFTER extensive bug research. Do a few test forts and so on. Check that the castes function properly outside of Arena mode as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:49:23 am by Ieb »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 04:00:01 am »

Oh, cool! I remember I used to play AQ years ago, too. Never got the that high a level, but the zardhunter was awesome, I remember that much. :P I'll prob'ly download this!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:06 am »

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm not really an expert on scaling difficulty, but I've tried my best to make sure that the mod isn't impossibly hard. Best course of action would be to add this mod to a vanilla game, so the entire selection of wildlife wouldn't be composed of creatures that want you dead.

Unless you know, that's what you want.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 03:41:47 am »

So. After about 8 hours of work, I finally figured out that A) SELECT_CASTE mentions dealing with body tissues and parts have to be in EXACT places for them to work and B) it's really easy to fuck something up when you don't know A yet and keep restarting all of your work.

But finally, after a lot of trial and error and learning how things work, the caste system works!
Everyone can breed with anyone but that's just WIZARDS doing their crap.

Adventurers also lost their natural skill at using weaponry, but now learn how to fight a faster.

The list of other species who can migrate to the fort is as follows:
Moglins(natural skill(3) at farming&herbalism and learn medical duties the fastest)
Umazen(learn to fight as fast as Adventurers, as well as Teaching and military tactics(adventurers just KILL things on instinct and never think too much about passing on their knowledge. Tactics? Who needs tactics when you're an ADVENTURER!))
Gargels(learn Appraising faster)
Minotaurs(learn fighting a BIT faster than other castes, but not as fast as adventurers or umazen)
Drakels(learn mechanics and armor/weaponsmithing faster than others)
Harpies(can fly)
Naga(learn some talking skills faster, lack empathy)
Clawgs(learn cooking faster, living in the hot desert probably forces them to prepare their food ASAP)
Wormmen(no emotions)
Tundra Reavers(slow learners, but learn fighting skills(especially melee attacks and wrestling) faster to compensate)
Shevite/Nogh'da(learn combat skills fairly fast)
Gatta(learn hunting skills(bow and crossbow-use) faster along animal training)
Elves(learn carpentry, woodcutting and bowmaking the fastest, also learn bow- and crossbow-use the fastest)
Sneevils(2nd smallest caste besides moglins, learn how to use daggers faster)
Werewolves(prone to rage)
Vampires(unfortunately these guys bleed just like everyone else. THEY NEED THEIR BLOOD TO LIVE! Also can suck blood with their bite attacks)
Frost Giants(biggest of all the castes and bearded(even the females))
Orcs(learn combat skills fairly fast, but a bit slower than the shevite&nogh'da)

I'm currently doing a test run on the mod on a haunted mountain&badlands area. So far only 4 dead, all by skeletal camels, although a bunch of migrants just showed up the same time there's a skeletal hydra lurking about the mountain. I wonder if any of them will make it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:43:18 am by Ieb »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:57 am »

So. After about 8 hours of work, I finally figured out that A) SELECT_CASTE mentions dealing with body tissues and parts have to be in EXACT places for them to work and B) it's really easy to fuck something up when you don't know A yet and keep restarting all of your work.

I'm guessing you didn't read example_creature.txt. :p

Good to see something else using VBASE for a change. Good, isn't it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7