Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Crazy Cow's MUCH better approach to caste percentages than Leb's and should be implemented before you have to find Leb and punch him in the gut?

Yes, add it now, NOW!
- 3 (60%)
No, RNG is my waifu.
- 0 (0%)
Something else, specify(I know you won't).
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 17, 2012, 01:42:41 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Lore/AdventureQuest mod. Looking for a new owner!  (Read 31173 times)

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Lore/AdventureQuest mod. Big God Damn Hero update(0.34.11).
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »

As of right now, organization of an Adventurer fortress is extremely difficult. Castes are tedious to identify and it's easy to forget; to counter this, I've made a small mod of your mod.

Spoiler: Critter List (click to show/hide)
Every Adventurer has about 72.8% chance of being a normal human, 17.7% chance of being one of the special classes, and 9.5% chance of being one of the 'alien' castes.
Download it here. It replaces creature_AQmodEntity.txt, which should be in the main download. If it's not there you have a problem ;P

Just so you know, Ieb, I hate your caste organization with all of my fury.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2012, 01:40:01 am »

I'm not exactly fond of it either. I blame "OH FUCK IT LET'S JUST MAKE IT WORK". And then figuring "HEY IT WORKS NOW, I WON'T HAVE TO TOUCH IT EVER AGAIN!"

Now that I think about it, I recall that once I tried adding the castes their own tiles. But then I got pissed off at the blinking between U and whatever it was I tossed out at 'em.

...annnnd these guys don't blink at all. I checked out the wrong fucking creature tag to add again, didn't I? I think I'll follow your advice and add the caste identification right now. Although I'm not so sure about the percentages of classes/"foreigners".

There's only one way to solve this, a poll that will answer nothing because no one will vote on it! I give it 2 weeks, so I can have more than enough time to sit on my ass and not do anything, ha! Ha ha!

The update to class and caste idenfitication is now implemented in the main mod as well, thanks to Crazy Cow pointing out something I never saw as an issue because I'm not too picky if my master swordsman is a moglin or a frost giant.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:03:01 am by Ieb »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 01:52:32 am »

Something else, Caste percentage should be based on
"Who is more common"
"Who has useful abilities"
"Who is Rare"

you might find more humans, then mages, but your might barely see a Dracon-were-pire thing. just my 2 cents

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 02:10:20 am »

I guess that can be done to spread out the castes a bit more. Unfortunately, the exact details on the various species present in AQ are near-nonexistant, or alternatively they're hidden in some forum thread again by Falerin. FALERIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

And you're probably better off not seeing draco-were-pyres. But yeah, I'll be thinking about possible ways to spread the castes a bit more. As a note, checking out the new caste identification in a fort I had made when I started testing and locating issues started crashing whenever I tried to run it with the new stuff.

!!WARNING!!
A HUGE GAME STABILITY ANNOUNCEMENT IS COMING FAST
!!WARNING!!

SO IF YOU WANT TO IDENTIFY CASTES, YOU MIGHT WANT TO COPY AND STORE YOUR ORIGINAL creature_AQmodEntity.txt FILE, IN CASE ADDING THE UPDATES WOULD START CRASHING YOUR GAME AS WELL. MAYBE IT WAS JUST ME, BUT BETTER SAFE THAN RAGING.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:16:05 am by Ieb »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 02:36:10 am »

I'm not exactly fond of it either. I blame "OH FUCK IT LET'S JUST MAKE IT WORK". And then figuring "HEY IT WORKS NOW, I WON'T HAVE TO TOUCH IT EVER AGAIN!"

I can understand that. Doesn't stop my inner OCD from wanting to tear it all apart and put it back together the way I like it ;P

Now that I think about it, I recall that once I tried adding the castes their own tiles. But then I got pissed off at the blinking between U and whatever it was I tossed out at 'em.

...annnnd these guys don't blink at all. I checked out the wrong fucking creature tag to add again, didn't I? I think I'll follow your advice and add the caste identification right now.

Sounds like you were trying to use [ALTTILE] instead of [CASTE_TILE]. Alt tiles will do exactly what you describe; caste tiles do what I did ;P

Although I'm not so sure about the percentages of classes/"foreigners".

There's only one way to solve this, a poll that will answer nothing because no one will vote on it! I give it 2 weeks, so I can have more than enough time to sit on my ass and not do anything, ha! Ha ha!

I didn't vote for myself, because I'm not biased towards my own work. Not at all.

The update to class and caste idenfitication is now implemented in the main mod as well, thanks to Crazy Cow pointing out something I never saw as an issue because I'm not too picky if my master swordsman is a moglin or a frost giant.

I love it when I do random bits for a mod and they become part of it. Happened with Nidokoeng's Pony Mod, happened here. Makes me feel loved '3'

Sorry for the crashing bit, by the by. Didn't mean for that to happen D;

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:03 am »

I didn't exactly do a lot of testing and see if it happens with a "fresh" update. The fort I'm still running is pre-BGDH update, so it might be related to the outdated factor. That, or DF for some reason decides it wants to crash if you add new caste tiles. Go figure.

Anyway, I got nothing against people showing up and rewriting my raws and offering updates, for the most part, the code is sort of a mess. IF you can get the Adventurer files in order, be my guest. It took me hours to make it work, and the mess you have seen is what was needed to get everything to work with proper bodyparts and without the "unknown creature substance" showing up.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2012, 06:53:30 am »

Oh boy, it sure has been a while! I sort of got caught in work, other work and now it's back to studying! The good news is though that I'm back on track with this god damn mod. Current stuff, adding some new monsters to the mix. Also, all but the basic zards lost the Zardzilla-infectious castes. It seemed appropriate, a low-level infection for low-level monsters.

Besides the monster update, I'm also gonna see if I can fuck around with a specific megabeast or whatever character being able to turn people into semimega's or megabeasts. Beware, it's the Mysterious Stranger! Also able to raise skeletons and so on. Let's just say they serve Chaos. Assuming I get it to work, it'll be pretty easy from then on to add to it, turning historical characters looking for immortality(which will be fixed appropriately when we get some more goals)  to whatever special bosses AQ has had in the past. Right now the list isn't long, since stuff like Bradakhan's dragon-taming ability doesn't come with a token bending certain creatures to one's will, same goes for Drakonnan's fire-creature utilization, so those are on hold for the time being. Numbered Beasts will make it in, save for Doc Sawbones. That one seemed a tad too specific. When new NB's arrive, I'll add those in as well.

After all the new stuff goes in, I guess I'll do a sweep through what was already in the mod and see if there are details I've missed. Or just some stupid things, like Skeeters having a tail and a stinger. They're giant mosquitoes, god dammit, how did that get there!? Anyway, with my current speed, I'd say it'll still take me about 2 weeks to get this mod out, unless I get into a good drive and add a bunch of stuff at once.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Lore/AdventureQuest mod. Never Underestimate Chaos update(0.34.11).
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2012, 03:06:33 pm »

This update is brought to you by the letter
X

It took longer than I thought, but believe me, there are good reasons! Hilarious reasons! The sort of reasons that I had to go and cut out entire sections of content! Reasons for that are as follows:

A while ago I finally got rid of my shitcan of a computer and updated to one that had WHOPPING 6 GB OF RAM, WHOO BOY(my previous comp had 1). Back then I had problems with DF deciding to keel over dead during world generation, probably because of my lack of RAM for the everhungry monster that is Dwarf Fortress. But then I upgraded, and I noticed that "GOD DAMN IT STILL CRASHES? AND ONLY WITH MY MOD?"

So I delved in after I finished updating the mod, more megabeasties and so on. Well, in the end, I found out that there were a few crash-causing things and had to correct 'em. List is as follows:
- Megabeasts were causing DF to crash during world generation. I have no idea why. All megabeasts were removed to improve mod stability(which pretty much meant the mod became stable).
- Entity creatures which had MATERIAL_EMISSIONS along the lines of mah spells were causing DF to crash during the last step of world generation, site generation. I just don't know why. All spellcasters were removed from entity creatures. To make up for it, Avatars now get a lot of spells to sling. Fire Avatars don't get the firewave attacks because they'd probably either just do a lot of friendly fire(HA) or kill themselves(dragonfire is HOT and the syndrome functions to turn people into avatars don't let you give them fire-invulnerability).
- Werebeasts were causing DF to crash during world generation. Like the MB, the werecreatures are now gone.

Because of the usual lack of error log mentions for sudden DF crashes, I don't know at all what is causing the crashes with the creatures. Some MB were more crash-prone than others, "Akriloth" made it to the last steps before I was ready to call it and upload the mod, but at the last moment he crashed DF just like the others.

All the fixing and shit that I had to do ate a lot of time from my studying, so to compensate I will have to put this project on hold until I get done with everything I should have done instead(the mod was driving me crazy while I tried to pinpoint what was causing crashes and where(this meant I had to move files out of objects and do a lot of world generations to see if situation improved)).

While Adventurers lost their Mages and Wizards, Crazy Cow's update to how all the castes are displayed is there instead.

Shockingly, some new things DID get in and didn't force me to remove them altogether!
Two new secret-caused immortals.

First is the Necromant, they're like your average necromancer except they can ALSO summon demons by offering corpses for the demon to take over. Also have some offensive spells(apparently it does NOT cause issues with DF when material emission skills are handed over through secrets unlike straight with raws to individuals) from Darkness-spell list.

Second is the Mysterious Stranger, the ways of Chaos are tempting indeed. Once these jerks show up they tend to go on a convert spree, raise a bunch of corpses and settle in a tower somewhere. Like the necromant, they also have the knowledge of offering corpses as demon-hosts, but they also come armed with a large variety of offensive spells.

Thanks to me learning that the crash-issues were not because of my shitty comp, all the entities also had their pop cap raised to 10k. Also, five new civs. Two aboveground, first the Herd Masters, basically human who's whole gig is that they deal with exotic creatures and are more than eager to sell some to you. Next the Vartai, evil half-draconic jerks that want nothing more but to stab you in the face. The underground civ's are the Ku, an insectoid race that wish to spread the message of Ku and stab you in the face, then we have wild cave griggits and cavezards.

That's about it for what I did. When I have time for it, I'll try and make the removed MB's work and maybe even figure out WHAT was making everything on that list crash the game! HAHA LIKE THAT'LL EVER HAPPEN

Anyway, because of this update, savegame compatibility is not available. And for the love of god, if it turns out that despite all the world gens I've been running for a while now to see if the game still crashes with what is still left that your DF still crashed with this mod installed, contact me. If there's one thing I hate it's doing a half-assed work, the mod before this fix spree of mine wasn't even half-assed, it was quarter-assed. If even that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:20:07 pm by Ieb »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2012, 03:10:01 pm »

So everything is breaking even though it works in the base game?
That seems a little strange. Is it because of the increased number of creatures or is it one of those mystery problems?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2012, 03:28:08 pm »

I've put together mod packs that added even more creatures than what my mod has, and there never were crash issues like the ones I suddenly became aware of. And yes, unfortunately ALL the crash issues are mystery problems.

Also.
>update the mod
>write the huge ass post
>check the folder of my test DF
>errorlog
>duplicate entry
>FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK
>quality modding here

Should be fixed now. Fuck.

EDIT2: ARGHLEBARGLE I MISSED ONE DUPE
FUCKS SAKE
WHY DOES ANYONE DL THIS SHIT

EDIT3: Found a minor issue, female ninjas were missing their POP_RATIO tag, so forts tended to be populated mostly by idiots and speedy female ninjas. Not that I have anything against it, but it sounded too much like the plot of Naruto so I added the POP_RATIO to female ninjas.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:36:02 pm by Ieb »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:50 pm »

Sorry about the lack of feedback, but I've basically dropped DF until the next update ;p
Just want to let you know you're still loved.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 06:55:23 am »

Eh, I've gotten used to the lack of feedback.
Maybe I should have picked a more popular choice of source material?
Like Call of Duty. Or Counter-Strike. That's what kids these days play, right?
They'd be fighting claw and nail just to DL my mod so they could headshoot n00bs in Dorf Fort.

Anyway.

Found DFlang. Making moglins and drakels their own language, the other species unfortunately will have to SUCK IT UP because like, those two are the only non-human species that actually have named NPC's(or more than 1 named NPC). To compensate, I'll be making two other language files, or maybe just one depending how many NPC names I'm able to whip up from all the sources I have(basically AdventureQuest, AQ-Worlds, DragonFable). In case there's enough for two, we'll get a General_Lorish which'll have all the good/neutral names thrown in it for the good/I-guess-they-are-good civs, and Filthy_Scary_Foreigner that will have all the bad guy NPC's names in it for the evil civs.

Then of course the megabeast thing. Once the DF update hits and we actually get dark fortresses back into the game, I guess some civs will have their site types changed.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:36 am »

Eh, I've gotten used to the lack of feedback.
Maybe I should have picked a more popular choice of source material?
Like Call of Duty. Or Counter-Strike. That's what kids these days play, right?
They'd be fighting claw and nail just to DL my mod so they could headshoot n00bs in Dorf Fort.

Anyway.

Found DFlang. Making moglins and drakels their own language, the other species unfortunately will have to SUCK IT UP because like, those two are the only non-human species that actually have named NPC's(or more than 1 named NPC). To compensate, I'll be making two other language files, or maybe just one depending how many NPC names I'm able to whip up from all the sources I have(basically AdventureQuest, AQ-Worlds, DragonFable). In case there's enough for two, we'll get a General_Lorish which'll have all the good/neutral names thrown in it for the good/I-guess-they-are-good civs, and Filthy_Scary_Foreigner that will have all the bad guy NPC's names in it for the evil civs.

Then of course the megabeast thing. Once the DF update hits and we actually get dark fortresses back into the game, I guess some civs will have their site types changed.

One thing I've found to speed up DFLang is to use many online name generators to make lists of names for various creatures and feed that list into DFLang(combining repeated uses of each generator into one text file)  there are even generators for names of snakes and hamsters, which gives language files for the animalmen.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]