Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange bridge bug  (Read 29530 times)

grendel

Strange bridge bug
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:50:00 pm »

I built bridges entirely over water channels and everything was cool. I abandoned that fortress due to boredom and decided to reclaim it.

When I came back and tried to walk on those same bridges, my soldiers all drowned while walking on top of the bridges; I then came back to the town in adventurer mode, and was unable to walk on the bridges at all, and the bridge tiles and the channel tiles were alternating like so:

code:

|--|/~~~~/|--|/~~~~

Mysterious.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Strange bridge bug
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »

Strange.  Very strange.  I'll have to mess around and see if I can reproduce any step of this -- there are a few candidates for why it would happen...  the blinking is the strangest, since it means it somehow slipped the building back to being unconstructed, if that's what it looks like.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Scootieloo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:41:53 pm »

If the problem has not been resolved, I know what the issue was with your Adventurer mode experience.
If you try to auto-walk over an open space that doesn't have a ramp below it you will not be able to cross even if the channel has a bridge stretching over it. This problem has not been resolved in DF3411. The way to overcome this as an adventurer is to alt+direction to carefully walk to the bridge. When I ran into the same problem a few days ago, carefully walking solved the issue.

The adventurer detected that the tile one z-level below him did not have a ramp so he was unable to move, but if issued the "walk carefully" command he ignores the open space below him whether that ends with him on a bridge or leaping from a cliff to his doom. I feel like the bridge-detection for adventurers would be an easy fix, but I'm not sure what the issue is in Dwarf Mode because my dorfs were able to cross the same bridge for years perfectly uninhibited.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 02:30:28 am »

Thank you... Dwarf Souls.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 05:08:27 pm »

Time to raise this thread from the dead again for no reason.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 04:13:28 am »

Lol.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.