Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 48092 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:23:27 pm »

This seems to have became a flame war in the .0.31.18 topic I figured it needs a separate thread instead of somewhere were we should really be talking about how good the new update is, not which one is better. So I decided to make this its own topic.

Begin voting and fighting.........NOW!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »

there's no neither option, so I chose both.

I don't actually play either much.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »

This thread is bound to fail.

They're different games. Both in development and both with different focus on things. Comparing them is stupid and not of Dwarven nature.
BEGONE!

On a more serious note, they're both good. Too different to compare, too well-made to challenge.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:25 pm »

YES! The dedicated minecraft flamewar thread!

/sarcasm

We've seriously beat the "Minecraft vs. Dwarf Fortress" topic into the ground. Please give it a rest.

Or ask the same question in the Minecraft forums and report back the responses. Hmm...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

Both, once Minecraft multiplayer bugs are fixed. Atm, DF.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:15:05 pm »

Gee, I wonder what the results of the poll will be...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

I think Dwarf Fortress is more technically sophisticated by far, but Minecraft could potentially be more 'immersive' and MC will also probably accelerate in development as, afaik, its dev team is growing.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:02:18 pm »

MC is better than adventure mode, but less good than fortress mode. Once adventure mode crafting is in, I expect this to change.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

Dwarfcraft.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »

Once Minecraft has the depth of DF, I'll be happy. I'm not even talking about the combat and health modeling- I just want more stuff to do. Minecraft tends to bore me after a week, at the end of which I'm thinking "Minecraft could really use X... like in DF!" For example...

Minecraft could really use more stone types... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use rivers... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use in depth world gen parameters... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use more metals and alloys... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use more enemies and wildlife... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use some "intelligent" AI NPCs... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use better fluid physics... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use more challenge... like in DF!
Minecraft could really use HFS... like in DF!

Well ok he just got that last one, now he needs to knock off the rest. I'd be more optimistic if I didn't keep reading about how he's going to move to beta soon, which leads me to believe that the major content additions (on par with what I get from a DF release) are nearly done. Minecraft is a good game and all, but its a much smaller sandbox than DF for all the "7 times the surface of the Earth" talk.

Impl0x

• Bay Watcher
  • ... ... ...PLAY DWARF FORTRESS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »

Both for me. If I want to create something that can actually be admired by people that DONT squint at ASCII all day or want to spend time exploring complex cave systems, then I play Minecraft. If I want a challenging game that lets me simulate a much more complex world, then I would obviously play Dwarf Fortress. Personally, I think that this whole process of "cross-contaminating" games (comparing two non-similar games) is a waste of time and only detracts from the enjoyment of both.

@monk12: Seems to me that the only reason that the Minecraft world seems smaller is because you have to walk to wherever you're going (and let the procedural generation take place while you're going), rather than just fast-traveling in DF.
You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I CAUGHT it! See, I just DO things...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »

OK, who voted MC? I swear if you don't 'fess up, I will hack into you computer and cut you!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 04:43:27 pm »

After playing the classic version of Minecraft for a while, I'd like to change my previous "DF" vote to "both".

It's not quite as entertaining as DF but it is a fun diversion. Plus, my little brother can watch me playing and know what's going on.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:39:15 pm »

There's really no comparing them for me. They aren't really similar in presentation, gameplay or even developer goals. Both games have a lot to offer. I don't understand why kids always have to make it a contest.

Well ok he just got that last one, now he needs to knock off the rest. I'd be more optimistic if I didn't keep reading about how he's going to move to beta soon, which leads me to believe that the major content additions (on par with what I get from a DF release) are nearly done. Minecraft is a good game and all, but its a much smaller sandbox than DF for all the "7 times the surface of the Earth" talk.

Notch has stated multiple times that beta doesn't mean he'll stop adding features. Minecraft will be updated as long as people still enjoy playing it.

And for the record, it's closer to 8.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

Minecraft is a good game, but the fun only lasts for about a week. In 4 days I had explored all of its features, in the other 3 I just played online and made monuments. Got really boring and repetitive after that.
Seriously tough, if you enjoy minecraft for more then a week, you need something better to do with your free time.

But regarding he topic, its a matter of taste, the games are too different to compare.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27