Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 48143 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »

Both are decent in their own way. Minecraft is a much easier to get into, and is a better game for thrills and all that. It's a fun thing to play when you want something easy on the cerebrum. Dwarf Fortress is Dwarf Fortress.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 06:07:09 pm »

No neither option?

They both get boring after a day or two

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »

Were on the DF forums, don't you think your going to get some bias?

But anyway, the depth and learning curve on minecraft stops at 'Night time is bad', the depth and learning curve of DF is non-existant, and not in a way that makes the game easy.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 06:57:15 pm »

Q: Don't you think everyone is going to vote for DF because it is the DF thread? Make one on Minecraft fourms!
A:Uh, there community is a little 'whack-o' how about you make it? Compare results!

Q:This topic is spam!
A:No, I made it to stop everyone posting stuff on the 0.31.18 topic, and move it here instead.

Also, IMO, both are good, but Minecraft is almost in its beta, and dwarf fortress has been around for like 4-5 years, and is still in alpha...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »

Also, IMO, both are good, but Minecraft is almost in its beta, and dwarf fortress has been around for like 4-5 years, and is still in alpha...

I think the difference between beta and alpha in Minecraft will be completely negligible. The differences will just be in name. And Notch has been claiming the development has been rapidly nearing beta for months now so I don't think it's almost.

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress wins considering it has a 3 year lead on Minecraft in content. It's a really unfair comparison.

Off to go make the Dwarf Fortress vs. Minecraft thread over on the other side...

EDIT: Minecraft equivalent thread
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:36:42 pm by metime00 »
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »

Faster development time, doesn't really mean anything. Heck, dev for games in general doesn't mean anything. We've seen games with very little dev time and years, both being very good and horrible.

Then there is the fact, that DF goals are far broader, in both its approach and depth. SO, of course in comparison to a shallower game, its going to take longer.

In my opinion, MC could use with some added complication. Mostly to do with its mineral layering. Its really a crap shot if you find any particular materiel. You can't hunt for iron, or for diamond with sense of direction. This wouldn't require realistic soil layering, it'd just require more block types with internal rules. X block layers means there is a higher chance of Y block with in it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »

I think the difference between beta and alpha in Minecraft will be completely negligible. The differences will just be in name. And Notch has been claiming the development has been rapidly nearing beta for months now so I don't think it's almost.

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress wins considering it has a 3 year lead on Minecraft in content. It's a really unfair comparison.

Off to go make the Dwarf Fortress vs. Minecraft thread over on the other side...

Personally, I think it's a bad idea even mentioning DF on the Minecraft forums. Not because I think it will start a flame war, but because the MC community really aren't the brand of people whose attention we should be bringing our forum to.

They will descend upon us like a school of bloodthirsty carp. The end is nigh, brethren.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »

Personally, I think it's a bad idea even mentioning DF on the Minecraft forums. Not because I think it will start a flame war, but because the MC community really aren't the brand of people whose attention we should be bringing our forum to.

They will descend upon us like a school of bloodthirsty carp. The end is nigh, brethren.
We will confuse the brains of the weak with our impenetrable logic and utter dwarfiness!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »

We will confuse the brains of the weak with our impenetrable logic and utter dwarfiness!
It's easy to control the MC fourm. Just pour magma on it.
Then send the burned corpses to the butcher for some lucky Cheesedwarf to eat for dinner.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:59 pm »

I have played and enjoyed them both.  I took a hiatus from Minecraft shortly after he went "live"* with multiplayer to wait until he got some more bugs worked out and added in some more content, but I had a really good time playing it.  Its fun to build various things from an 'on the ground' perspective.

Dwarf Fortress, by comparison, allows a much more involved take on your world, you can do so much that even having played for years now there are things I haven't really scratched the surface on (never had a King for example) and there is so much more in the way of stuff to do, things to find, ways to die.

As people have said already the two are radically different games, it would be like saying which is the better game Diablo II or SimCity, how do you even measure them against one another?

I will say that, unless things have greatly changed, I much more enjoy the DF community then that of MC, I don't know if its an age thing or if its cause MC has (over time) become more more well known in the mainstream then DF or what but people here tend to act much more mature and polite then over there, something that I sadly think is likely to carry over to multiplayer once I get around to trying it out.

I have spent far more time on Dwarf Fortress and enjoy it more, but that is primarily because there is simply so much more to do, in Minecraft you build your house, you play with switches or whatever a bit and build a mine cart, you kill some zombies and make some TNT and you explore the caves a bit and then you are basically done (again, I haven't played in many months so I'm sure much more is in now).

-MB

*Live in a 'sort of' sense as it barely worked and even when you could sign in you couldn't reliably even pick up stone, much less do anything involved.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »

Apples all the way. Oranges are a pain to peel, and some times they're just too tangy or sour.

But only fuji or red delicious, sometimes granny smith.

Drifton

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is still an optional part of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:41 am »

Both Games have there strong points but, i still prefer dwarf fortress its the original and is closer to the style of game play that i crave, now i go back to worshiping the hypnotic toads game to loose a part of my life,

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:16 am »

Both games are fun for different purposes.

Admining a Minecraft server (even when we had mostly DF players on it) is a royal bitch though (griefing), and I'd rather post on the DF forums than ... there.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 12:42:26 am »

DF is amazing. No doubt about it. Minecraft is almost as fun. But it's free version doesn't beat DF, and the best things in life are free. So DF wins.

there's no neither option, so I chose both.

I don't actually play either much.

Then... why are you on this forum?

Slaves to Armok I?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 12:44:13 am »

Truth- I doubt you'll find anybody to argue the assertion that DF fanbase > Minecrafts.

Although I am most certainly looking forward to the health update for Survival Mode Multiplayer. In that category, Minecraft is far and away the winner, provided you have some friends to game with. I'll probably lose another week of my life to Minecraft (early next week, hopefully) before DF reclaims it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27