Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 48098 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:08 am »

Minecraft is a good game, but the fun only lasts for about a week. In 4 days I had explored all of its features, in the other 3 I just played online and made monuments. Got really boring and repetitive after that.
Seriously tough, if you enjoy minecraft for more then a week, you need something better to do with your free time.

But regarding he topic, its a matter of taste, the games are too different to compare.
I have to agree. There are still things I have not seen in Dwarf Fortress after playing it for so long.

That said, this is a bit of a biased poll taking place on the DF forums and all.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 02:04:13 am »

Also, IMO, both are good, but Minecraft is almost in its beta, and dwarf fortress has been around for like 4-5 years, and is still in alpha...

I think the difference between beta and alpha in Minecraft will be completely negligible. The differences will just be in name. And Notch has been claiming the development has been rapidly nearing beta for months now so I don't think it's almost.

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress wins considering it has a 3 year lead on Minecraft in content. It's a really unfair comparison.

Off to go make the Dwarf Fortress vs. Minecraft thread over on the other side...

EDIT: Minecraft equivalent thread
Personally, I think it's a bad idea even mentioning DF on the Minecraft forums. Not because I think it will start a flame war, but because the MC community really aren't the brand of people whose attention we should be bringing our forum to.

They will descend upon us like a school of bloodthirsty carp. The end is nigh, brethren.

This isn't the first time I've heard people speak unfavorably about the Minecraft community. What exactly is wrong with them? Their game isn't so obscure that they can pretentious about it, it isn't so mainstream that it would attract the stereotypical l33t speak moron, and it doesn't have any characters for the forum to establish creepy fanbases around (Talimancers are so fucking weird). So I don't see what would make them so bad.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 02:08:53 am »

Ugh. I might be looking at this the wrong way... But are you trying to troll or some crap? Honestly, they are two different games in two different genres. One has been going for years and has a massive amount of content and the other is a game thats been in production for (insert time) ((Yea, I don't play minecraft.  :P)). So trying to compare this is... Just a waste of time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 02:10:25 am »

So trying to compare this is... Just a waste of time.
Couldn't agree more.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 02:43:32 am »

DF is amazing. No doubt about it. Minecraft is almost as fun. But it's free version doesn't beat DF, and the best things in life are free. So DF wins.

there's no neither option, so I chose both.

I don't actually play either much.

Then... why are you on this forum?

Slaves to Armok I?

I get my fun from programming utilities to interface with DF.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 02:49:45 am »

utilities plural?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 02:56:46 am »

Also, IMO, both are good, but Minecraft is almost in its beta, and dwarf fortress has been around for like 4-5 years, and is still in alpha...

I think the difference between beta and alpha in Minecraft will be completely negligible. The differences will just be in name. And Notch has been claiming the development has been rapidly nearing beta for months now so I don't think it's almost.

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress wins considering it has a 3 year lead on Minecraft in content. It's a really unfair comparison.

Off to go make the Dwarf Fortress vs. Minecraft thread over on the other side...

EDIT: Minecraft equivalent thread
Personally, I think it's a bad idea even mentioning DF on the Minecraft forums. Not because I think it will start a flame war, but because the MC community really aren't the brand of people whose attention we should be bringing our forum to.

They will descend upon us like a school of bloodthirsty carp. The end is nigh, brethren.

This isn't the first time I've heard people speak unfavorably about the Minecraft community. What exactly is wrong with them? Their game isn't so obscure that they can pretentious about it, it isn't so mainstream that it would attract the stereotypical l33t speak moron, and it doesn't have any characters for the forum to establish creepy fanbases around (Talimancers are so fucking weird). So I don't see what would make them so bad.
Clearly there's a lot of exaggeration, but the MC forums have an unusually high concentration of trolls, and the fanbase as a whole seems to be completely unpleasable and unreasonable. They do nothing but bitch about the tiniest of things.

True, it isn't exactly mainstream, but the community's troubles seem to stem from that whole "gamer entitlement" thing. People pay $13 for a game in the alpha stage, then go on a self-important tirade when things don't work right away. The game's accessibility (while not a bad thing in itself,) doesn't help much with filtering out the very type of immature morons that plague their forums.

That said, I prefer the apples, but that doesn't make it any less impossible to compare with oranges.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 02:57:36 am »

utilities plural?

stonesense and isoworld.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:14 am »

I don't know, I don't really -get- minecraft. Toady's spent years making this great game from the bottom up, and some guy takes a bit of open source code, enhances it moderately to make it more dwarf-fortress esque, charges for it, makes millions, and toady is still...well, toady, ordinary guy. (though possible dwarf in disguise).

I mean, I tried out minecraft, but I just got so bored. I just don't understand the point of it. There's no depth to the world and not really all that much to build, at least compared to what I'm used to. I really just don't understand it. And I feel so bad for toady, because I feel that a number of the features are clear knock-offs/nods to DF.

I can see how they'd have different points though; DF basically is trying to be a fantasy world simulator, while minecraft, at heart, is trying to let people make pretty things. And people do make pretty things in DF, but its so much more. But having all that 'much more' sacrifices the graphics.

So I'm ambivalent. I'm happy for the minecraft players, happy they are happy, but I love DF more. The only thing that makes me sad is for toady, because I really feel the quality of DF in terms of the code and the work done into it exceeds minecraft, but toady isn't a millionare, while minecraft's maker has made 3.5 million off of it as of this month.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:35:49 am by lastofthelight »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2010, 09:00:07 am »

I don't know, I don't really -get- minecraft. Toady's spent years making this great game from the bottom up, and some guy takes a bit of open source code, enhances it moderately to make it more dwarf-fortress esque, charges for it, makes millions, and toady is still...well, toady, ordinary guy. (though possible dwarf in disguise).

I mean, I tried out minecraft, but I just got so bored. I just don't understand the point of it. There's no depth to the world and not really all that much to build, at least compared to what I'm used to. I really just don't understand it. And I feel so bad for toady, because I feel that a number of the features are clear knock-offs/nods to DF.

I can see how they'd have different points though; DF basically is trying to be a fantasy world simulator, while minecraft, at heart, is trying to let people make pretty things. And people do make pretty things in DF, but its so much more. But having all that 'much more' sacrifices the graphics.

So I'm ambivalent. I'm happy for the minecraft players, happy they are happy, but I love DF more. The only thing that makes me sad is for toady, because I really feel the quality of DF in terms of the code and the work done into it exceeds minecraft, but toady isn't a millionare, while minecraft's maker has made 3.5 million off of it as of this month.
It is exactly like I feel.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:57 am »

DF. I tried minecraft (the free version) and it doesn't have the same depth by far. I've read about the features you get when you buy access to "alpha", but I still find DF better. Besides, I prefer DF's wider focus.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 11:04:21 am »

It is exactly like I feel.
I second this notation. Seems to explain my feelings a bit more.

EDIT: I didn't make this as a troll attempt. I just made it somewhere were people could state there opinions on the two games. It was filling up on the new update thread. The only ridiculous thing I would mark as pointless is the poll. If it bothers you so much, ignore it.

EDIT EDIT: It also seems people who picked Minecraft prefer it because Dwarf Fortress was hard to get into and the interface was very very complex. Which is something I have to say is a Con for Dwarf Fortress. But did anyone ever see the wiki? It's like a tutorial on how to survive for 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:09:37 am by Meanmelter »
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2010, 11:10:57 am »

The real solution is to hack Minecraft Developer's bank account and 'donate' some to Toady.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Carp Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:41 am »

Those 2 that think minecraft is. Beetter need some MAGMA!!!!!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2010, 11:25:42 am »

True, it isn't exactly mainstream, but the community's troubles seem to stem from that whole "gamer entitlement" thing. People pay $13 for a game in the alpha stage, then go on a self-important tirade when things don't work right away. The game's accessibility (while not a bad thing in itself,) doesn't help much with filtering out the very type of immature morons that plague their forums.

I thought those jerks that launched a DDOS attacks on his site because they wanted more updated were some weird minority. Guess not.

For the record I don't hate Mincecraft. I just wish Dwarf Fortress got some more attention, since I think a lot of people would give this game a chance if they really knew about all the awesome things you could do in it. Plus the website I frequent is stuck in a Minecraft obsession phase, which to be honest is kind of annoying.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27