Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "encased in ice" problem while digging aquifer ponds in cold climates...  (Read 1530 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

.... is annoying as hell. And has only gone worse since ramps were implemented, since dwarves for some reason think it's a swell idea to go down into the hole they just digged.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile

There is a simple answer:

First send 7 dwarves with picks.
Then send another 7.
Another 7.
Keep reclaiming until you have dug what you wanted, encase the surviving diggers.

Send your "real" dwarves!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dig them out later and create a statue garden.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

The trick is to mark the bottom as a restricted traffic area.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone elaborate on what the issue is exactly? As far as I know, water in cold climates only freezes if it hits an "outside" tile, so simply not removing the roof would seem like a simple solution to me?

Then again, I really don't know, I hate aquifers with a vengeance.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

This fixed it, actually.
Could someone elaborate on what the issue is exactly? As far as I know, water in cold climates only freezes if it hits an "outside" tile, so simply not removing the roof would seem like a simple solution to me?

Then again, I really don't know, I hate aquifers with a vengeance.

The point is in that I want those tiles to freeze, but I dont want my dwarves to fall inside.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

I'm an idiot. You have my vote.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

first leaving the roof intact   channel out your future ice skating rink in its entirety setting the lower level to restricted,   then channel out the roof one or 2 tiles at a time so that your dwarves don't cause caveins
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

first leaving the roof intact   channel out your future ice skating rink in its entirety setting the lower level to restricted,   then channel out the roof one or 2 tiles at a time so that your dwarves don't cause caveins

Not good enough if you are trying to freeze TWO aquifers.

The travel restriction method worked fine, though