Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does anybody have a guide to dealing with aquifers?  (Read 2534 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody have a guide to dealing with aquifers?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:30 pm »

Code: [Select]
                    _______
soil layer:     ###         ###   <- dug out, just leaving the cieling
aquifier layer: ####~~~~~~~####   <- channeled aquifier the same size as the plug
stone layer:    ###############   remove the final support and it should plug it

You might need another soil layer to create an actual plug made of walls, rather than just a cieling, I'm not sure.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »

A ceiling is not enough
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dryvnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:41 pm »

_______
aquifier layer: ####~~~~~~~####   <- channeled aquifier the same size as the plug
stone layer:    ###############   remove the final support and it should plug it

You might need another soil layer to create an actual plug made of walls, rather than just a cieling, I'm not sure.

That is what I have been doing, and yet when I dig through the plug, water rises to 7 instantly (even on aquifers that only show 1 level on the embark map (i.e. only 1 line of aquifer))

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:22 pm »

_______

That is what I have been doing, and yet when I dig through the plug, water rises to 7 instantly (even on aquifers that only show 1 level on the embark map (i.e. only 1 line of aquifer))

Isn't that because of water displacement? Walls caving in displace any liquids they dropped onto, in DF terms - teleport it onto themselves.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

You need a FULL wall tile to use the collapse method. Ceilings that fall just disappear when they land on a wall (but will still punch through other ceilings)

If you go with the partially/completely frozen biome, make sure you bring something to build a floor with, just in case. Thanks to how channels now produce up ramps, when the ramp nearly instantly freezes, the ice ramp becomes inaccessible from above. The last time I tried that was six revisions ago, so I don't know if it's been fixed or if it was working as intended.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 04:33:15 pm »

If you build a floor over the ramp and then deconstruct it, the ice tile is restored
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »

I've tried dealing with aquifers following the wiki, but I was unsuccesful. I've decided to just mod them out because I can't be bothered generating hundreds of worlds because the perfect location has a jillion aquifer layers. I remember I tried the cave-in method, but I wasn't sure what controls cave-ins so I decided to channel down to the aquifer layer, build a support on the ground with some floors on top of it, link support to a lever, pull the lever, floors collapse into the aquifer giving me something to dig thorough. I've put the plan into action and nothing happened. I expected the floor to collapse right into the aquifer, but something was magically holding up the floor, maybe the stairs, though I don't see how would I acces the top of the support without stairs. I raged hard and I decided to try the pump method instead, but I did not have enough mechanisms to build the sufficient amount of gear assemblies, so I had to use dwarfpower. Result: "Urist cancels operate pump: Dangeorus terrain" I wasn't able to build walls and clearly pumping was futile if they're going to cancel it all the time. I flooded the fortress with the brook.
Someone should really make a tutorial about dealing with aquifers, yeah I know then "where's the challenge? aquiferz iz for expart dorfs" but considering that the standard Create World Now option creates a world where almost every site has one or more aquifer layers I think it is safe to say that they affect newer players, as well. The wiki is somewhat helpful, but the explanations there are not clear enough.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 06:11:30 pm »

If you have multiple aquifer layers there is actually a way to get drop a 3x3 hole through them rather than the kind of pit mine you'd probably resort to. It's a bit tricky but the idea is that when you channel down into the next aquifer tile it will absorb any water from the channel above it. You've got to be very careful with that though.

As for piercing regular aquifers: Each tile you mine through is composed of a wall section and a floor section. Digging takes out the wall obviously and channeling takes out the floor tile along with a wall below it. When you place up stairs they sit in the wall position while down stairs replace the floor with something that can be walked through, provided there is something suitable below. Stairs do support structures.

Floors are very thin and won't take up any space if dropped. Rather it takes walls to accomplish this. In order to pierce an aquifer like this you must have at least 2 layers above the aquifer. If there are more layers of aquifer you will need a much, much more complex plan. More on that later.

So then, about actually rigging your plug. You can either place a support above or below the wall chunk you are going to drop. If above you'll need to make a wooden arm or something out of constructed floors or walls. Also getting on and off of the plug may seem like an issue but diagonal tiles do not hold things up so you can just place a floor at the corner. If below you only need to suffer losing the materials for the support and mechanism.
1. So then, if you want a 3x3 hole in the aquifer you will need a 5x5 plug. Mining away the tiles of the plug is obviously not going to do you any good so you need an insulating ring. Also you will want to mine out a 7x7 area on the layer just above the aquifer, as the plug cannot be held up by floors or any of that next to it.
2. Channel out the tiles in the aquifer for your plug. Best to just do one line at a time if you don't want the miners getting stuck or complaining.
3. Construct some floors over the pool if your support will be under it. Place your support and link it to a lever.
4. Channel out the tiles around your plug so that only the support holds it up.
5. Pull the lever.
6. Either Dig out some more space for the water this knocked up to spread out of pump it away.
7. Dig your 3x3 stairway down through the middle of the plug being careful not to ruin any of the insulating ring that keeps you dry.

Multiple aquifer layers can still be defeated by the same number of dry soil layers but will definitely require some pumping. The idea is to mine out a much larger area  so that you can just drop rings of soil into the aquifer. So mine out large area, channel out first ring into aquifer. Build support for the ring as well as support for the later stage plug inside the ring. Drop the ring, channel out the aquifer tiles inside the ring. Pump the water out. Step down and repeat with a smaller ring.

However if you'd rather just not deal with aquifers it is advisable to generate worlds with less ocean. Obviously this means not making island regions, and a lack of edge oceans also has the advantage of making caverns much closer to their defined depths in custom world generation.

-

Edit: I found the ring aquifer pierce thing illustrated.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64625.0

-

Huh, you think I'd get a thank you or something.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:51:33 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dryvnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 08:28:00 am »

Do aquifers work this way?

#77777777#
######## <- Aquifer layer

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:47:11 am »

No - the water is generated by aquifier tiles themselves.

###        #### <- regular soil
###77777#### <- Aquifier
###777##     # <- rock layer with the cieling dug out in one place

I recommend intentionally starting a basic game with an aquifier, to experiment :)
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Dryvnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 02:04:32 pm »

OH YES. I HAVE NOW PIERCED MY FIRST AQUIFER.

I thank everyone in this thread!
Pages: 1 [2]