Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ Laws  (Read 1404 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Civ Laws
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »

Civs should have their own set of laws that special, and on more then one level of offence. You should be able to look up the laws of a certain Civ and make sure what your doing isn't illegal. There would be 4 levels of offence-

1. Minor - A simple crime, you won't get punished serverly, but the most you could get is a few days in jail... (Ex. Pickpocketing, fist fights, jaywalking, ect.)

2. Standard - A basic crime that pretty illegal, but not enought for the death sentence. (E.x. Tresspasing, stealing, Beating on someone, ect)

3. Major - Now things are getting interesting! At this point the guards will attack you, but they won't "try" to kill you. (E.x. Killing, arson, treson, rape, ect)

4. Extreme - Your going to jail for a long time, if they don't kill you first! Guards WILL try to kill you, but if you surrender, expect a long time in jail, if your lucky! (E.x. Assaination of important figure, destuction of important religous artifact, razing a town, ect)

Note that most of the crimes listed in the examples won't always be in that catagory, but they will be somewhere around that catagory (may need some extra programing however, becuase then we will have civs where "Killing = minor crime"). Also some places may have things legal where other places don't. Having done a crime major or higher in one civ and then escaping to another place will make you have "convict" status. In which civs who like the civ you came from or civs who live next to that civ will search for you. After a while (time depending on crime) your convict status will wear off.

What do you think?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Laws
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 02:44:46 pm »

We kinda do have that? In the raws open entity_default.txt and theres things like, for example the dwarfs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the elves

You can see some slight differences. Now having them be different based upon kingdoms and nations, is a little harder, cause they are generated with the world, so there laws would have to be generated there as well. And that could lead to a whole heap of bugs and trouble.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »

We kinda do have that? In the raws open entity_default.txt and theres things like, for example the dwarfs

And the elves

You can see some slight differences. Now having them be different based upon kingdoms and nations, is a little harder, cause they are generated with the world, so there laws would have to be generated there as well. And that could lead to a whole heap of bugs and trouble.

But bugs are !!fun!!

Edit: Just noticed this:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:LYING:PUNISH_EXILE]
Elf: You..... you LIED TO US ABOUT THE COOKIES! YOU SENTENCED TO LIFE IN EXILE!

Also it would be fun to make killing acceptable  :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:33:18 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:06:25 am »

this shall be in my mod

+1 btw
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:16 am »

Maybe we could have a system that would allow laws/ethics to chance by a random number. This could have a formula like change by -log[random number]. The number could be negative or positive. And would probably be a system that would randomize ethnics a bit but not to far.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:33:45 pm by thijser »
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »

I like it. Assign each possible ethic (15, tops) a number from -7 to +7 (or whatever, 0 being [PERSONAL_MATTER]) and do exactly thijser said. Thus, you're not going to see anything that a civ would normally consider an atrocity turning into idle chat, but some of a given species' civs might be a little more lenient, or perhaps a bit harsher.

Additionally, I propose something even more radical for the good end of the spectrum. Certain ethics would, in fact, glorify whoever does it, ingratiating them with the civ. I don't know how this would work, because if it's just a numerical value, you'll get anything acceptable having a chance of becoming awesome. Hmm. More thought required.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:45:12 pm »

I like it. Assign each possible ethic (15, tops) a number from -7 to +7 (or whatever, 0 being [PERSONAL_MATTER]) and do exactly thijser said. Thus, you're not going to see anything that a civ would normally consider an atrocity turning into idle chat, but some of a given species' civs might be a little more lenient, or perhaps a bit harsher.

Additionally, I propose something even more radical for the good end of the spectrum. Certain ethics would, in fact, glorify whoever does it, ingratiating them with the civ. I don't know how this would work, because if it's just a numerical value, you'll get anything acceptable having a chance of becoming awesome. Hmm. More thought required.

I like this, but we should make it so that certain things get a near a certain level of punishment. So we don't have things like "Kill ally" = acceptable" or "Kill enemy = Unthinkable". Althought that would be fun  :P

We should also add some more matters to the list.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

I play with dwarves having their ethics tuned so I can butcher and eat sentients that attack me.

Nom nom human steak with goblin sauce and elf ear garnish.