Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Destroyed Aquaduct = uncontrolled flood  (Read 498 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destroyed Aquaduct = uncontrolled flood
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:35:00 am »

I was having problems with dwarves not being able to find a path to where they wanted to chasm items, so I decided to destroy my over-the-chasm aquaduct (while it still had water in it, because I didn't want to un-fill my moat until winter when I was sure to be safe from the final goblin siege that's coming one of these seasons...) to see if that was the cause of the problem. As soon as it got to the "almost completed construction" stage, it started an uncontrollable flood - the same type of flood as bad floodgate placement.

Fortunately I was prepared for floods in that passageway, which was entirely sealed off behind doors, with channels immediately after the doors, so it didn't destroy my fortress. It did, however, ruin my magma delivery system  :(

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyed Aquaduct = uncontrolled flood
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:57:00 am »

Um, what did you expect?  It makes perfect sense to me...  trying to remove an aqueduct while it has water in it should cause a horrible mess.  Your channels used to be flowing into the aqueduct before it reached the chasm; then you ordered your dwarves to smash the aqueduct to pieces.

Granted, there is an issue here, but it has more to do with the broader issue of the way the game hands nasty flood situation than aqueducts specifically.  One open floodgate next to a river probably shouldn't be able to flood an entire cave complex and the outside world for all of eternity; likewise, one aqueduct being taken apart with water running through it probably shouldn't flood that area of the fortress forever.  But I would expect them to do comparable levels of damage.

...oh, wait, did it flood on the opposite side of the channel, the one that water was no longer reaching?  Because that does sound like a bug.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:14:00 am »

I expected the water to stay in the channel and plummet into the chasm. Why would water that was previously restricted to a one tile wide trench suddenly massively overflow said trench just because it's spilling into a bottomless pit?

And yes, it also flooded the magma side of the chasm.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

This one also depends on if the aqueduct overlapped the ground or not.  Did the channel run all the way up to the chasm?  It shouldn't flood the other side anyway of course, but the river side depends on the exact set up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!