Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?  (Read 9001 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who do YOU Give the Best Tombs?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 12:06:05 am »

I want to make a catacombs that is flooded with water. (Or magma if it doesn't destroy the coffins.)

No one may disturb the rest of the dead. If you need to bury someone, you need to drain it first. I had this idea because I find the thought of completely water-filled corridors full of corpses would be a pretty sweet and unique thing to have.

Not like people need constant access there.

You could actually engineer a catacombs where you could set up a pipeline to flood tombs as needed.  Just build each individual tomb in such a way that the final act upon them is linking them up to the massive pipe of water that flows into the tombs.  Hopefully from above to avoid having to add a slab for your newly deceased witless miner.  And then watch as some witless clod decides to deposit one of the deceased's socks in that tomb and ends up flooding the entire catacomb outer halls with half the river.  Tons of fun, especially if you replace the water with magma.
Ah, that could work too, and would probably be more practical as well...

(I know absolutely nothing about pumping liquids so if I tried this I'd probably kill everyone. Which is just another reason to try it when I stop being lazy.)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 03:41:19 am »

I want to make a catacombs that is flooded with water. (Or magma if it doesn't destroy the coffins.)

No one may disturb the rest of the dead. If you need to bury someone, you need to drain it first. I had this idea because I find the thought of completely water-filled corridors full of corpses would be a pretty sweet and unique thing to have.

Not like people need constant access there.

You could actually engineer a catacombs where you could set up a pipeline to flood tombs as needed.  Just build each individual tomb in such a way that the final act upon them is linking them up to the massive pipe of water that flows into the tombs.  Hopefully from above to avoid having to add a slab for your newly deceased witless miner.  And then watch as some witless clod decides to deposit one of the deceased's socks in that tomb and ends up flooding the entire catacomb outer halls with half the river.  Tons of fun, especially if you replace the water with magma.
One of my forts had an adamantine-decorated tomb for the king and a few smaller tombs with iron furniture for lesser nobles (the eventual dungeon master, major military figures, etc) that was set up like this.  There was a large magma reservoir above it with a series of hatches set into the bottom that allowed each tomb to be flooded as needed.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 04:49:51 am »

Always the mayor and sometimes the rest of the starting 7 (if I remember who they are by the time I get around to making tombs..)
Also the militia commander/captains if they prove themselves in battle.  If they fail to prove themselves they get a plain coffin stuffed in a corner somewhere.  The same goes for other failures such as dorfs deconstructing a platform incorrectly or getting encased in cooling magma while digging.  I haven't tried the new slabs yet but they'll probably replace the cheap coffins when I do.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 05:00:46 am »

I have a particularly sinister obsession with putting a dwarf's coffin in his bedroom with him. This requires a slightly larger bedroom than usual, but the macabre reality of it must be pretty overwhelming. I also use sarcophaguses as decorative objects, and line the main hallways with niches full of them.

Psychological horror, DF style.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:37 am »

Miners all get their own tombs and a really legendary military dwarf will get his own tomb, but otherwise everyone else gets a coffin and that's about it.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 05:30:54 am »

I make special tombs for my military because, well, they're trying hard. Even those that become paraplegic during their first or second training session with a live goblin, I give them a glass coffin among the rest of the fallen squads.
The artifact sarcophagi, because we don't get many if any at all, go to whoever is the most important noble at the time. And if I can afford it, I put the nobles cemetery at the same level as the military.
As for dwarves I liked especially (few, they generally lost a limb early on but kept on doing their civilian duty), or kids I feel have died in a very avoidable and cruel way (you know, those who lose all their blood sloooowly, or plain get neglected by the retarded healthcare system), they don't get special tombs or coffins, but they do get statues near their coffins.

However, now that we have slabs, I must change my plans. I think the nobles will be memorialized on slabs put in the dining rooms and entertainment places. The best soldiers will get artifacts. That will save me a lot of space and time.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:16 am »

Generally I give tombs to my nobles, named heroes, or dorfs I like. Everyone else goes in my massive tomb complex. With bilateral symmetry!

Rows and rows of coffins, punctuated by crypts 5x5. Standard dwarf resting place is a good stone coffin, surrounded by statues and other coffins. Crypts include valuable metal sarcophagi, statues, and coffers to go with the engravings. I try to put positive statues about the dwarf, or at least about the fortress.

I like to think the dwarfs are happy to know that should they die, even the lowliest peasant will receive a fine coffin in a legendary tomb.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 09:00:52 am »

Wait we're supposed to bury dwarves?
Current Fort: NatureRags

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

Yeah....

I have a big heap outside the front door, I dont get around to digging a crypt usually till about 150 dwarves, by which point theres usually a one or two dozen skeletons to move across.  Even then its whatever coffins i got kicking about, often stone, usually no quality and assigned for burial rather than ever 'tomb designated'.

No-one cares when their friends/relatives rot, they are too busy drinking decadently in a legendary dining room, under the waterwall, beside the zoo and statue garden.

Anyone annoying enough to demand their own gets the usual engraved 4x4 with some box in the corner....if theyre 'important' enough to still not be satisfied i'll often dump some decorated bags in there till the moaning stops

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 01:40:23 pm »

I dig out this complex series of rooms shaped like a hammer for my veterans so no fancy tomb there. By the time I get around to digging out tombs for special dwarves  like it's usually too late.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »

I use coffins/sarcophagi to add value to my dining room/noble quarters. They are like statues with dead dwarfs inside!

Special tombs go to only nobles who ask for them. They are decorated with extra caskets for public burial, and sometimes unused workshops because tombs are a good place to lock up Urist McBerserk should he fail his mood.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:46 pm »

My starting seven get private tombs, as do all my military dwarves who earn extra names. 3x3 marble (mostly) rooms, masterwork marble coffin, masterwork marble door. Everyone else is on the central spire. Except for the king/queen and top noble and consort.

Second link in my sig, check out the tomb level.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »

My founders. For example, in my last fort I made a walkway made of iron and put alcoves in the surrounding rock with a stockpile containing the material related to their profession. The middle had a steel sarcophagus. My miner also gets the best tomb by far. My last miner got a couple hundred floor tiles hanging in the middle of a cavern. It was completely covered in copper picks (what he uses to mine) and had a superior adamantine coffin in the corner.

Everyone else gets a coffin in the catacombs, which is usually a square room completely filled with ordinary stone coffins. I'll maybe give an OK tomb to a super awesome soldier, but other than that nothing.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »

Whoever the hell I think deserves one. My current mega project is making a glass room with a tomb on a dias in the centre, surrounded by magma. Everyone else gets tossed in a coffin along the side of a completely smoothed room, every tile will be filled with coffins before another is opened.

Nobles get tombs until they die, then they no longer rage at the lack of one so they get their tomb taken away and tossed in a coffin like everyone else. Shit. I just realized how ironic that is...
I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 09:12:43 pm »

The most important dwarves for my industries. Be that legendary soldiers or legendary artisans. At least, that would be my intent if I have long-running forts - I always kill myself out of FPS death because I overproduced items. Was easier in 40d when I had to make tombs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3