Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries  (Read 1139 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »

Alright guys, I have a real problem here. I like to think I'm a normal person with normal power fantasies, but ever since I had gotten into... like REALLY gotten into playing RE5's Mercenaries and Mercenaries Reunion, I've been obsessed with the little minigame.

The hectic, frantic mode, requiring fast reflexes, brutal efficiency, demanding level of skill, thorough knowledge of both the terrain and your enemies, and TONS of practice got me hooked. It appealed to me on a deep level that not alot of games do, following my philosophy of how I feel games should be perfectly, but more important than that, it appealed on a personal level to my romantic view of hand to hand combat.

After playing the game far too much, getting the best possible ranking on every stage with every character, I then got RE4. After beating that and unlocking original Mercenaries, I got to feel and appreciate how much harder the predecessor was. After getting the best possible ranking on each stage with each character (unlocking the handcannon in the process), I finally put the game down after finally being satisfied.

Satisfied, albeit slightly peeved that Wesker had been 'downgraded' between 4 and 5, with the Thrust Punch being vastly superior to the Cobra Strike as far as melees are concerned.

But I might as well get to the original purpose of the topic rather than blather on and on about how much I love the game, but I don't really want to. Why? Because odds are, it's going to be forever out of my reach:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-combines-missions-from-re4-and/

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries is a game dedicated solely to the Mercenaries minigame. Great! Fantastic! Wonderful! The minigame is comparably more fun than the story mode of either game as far as I'm concerned, it should be it's own game! Even better, if it's including RE4 characters, then I get to play with HUNK and Krauser again! and they might even be updated to include more melees! I can't even express my joy at that possibility.

But... It's on the 3DS. From what I know is simply a more advanced, more expensive version of an ordinary DS. If it were on the 360 or something, I'd happily throw down 40-50$ to get it, but this is demanding that I get throw down a hundred or so just to get the handheld system first, and THEN get the game which is I don't even know how much.

That's... downright agonizing. I know, it's supposed to be a luxury, but that's a hell of a lot to ask...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:14:46 pm »

Regular DS games cost 30 dollars.  No idea about the 3DS though.  It's a pretty gimmicky idea to begin with.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:55 pm »

I remember RE2's mercenaries. :|

Man, that was hard as shit.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »

The 3Ds sounds amazing from all the hype coming out of E3 and such, but the problem with it is that you can't really show people how it works unless they're in a room with it, so who knows. If it works as advertised it should be awesome. Apparetly there was one tech demo at E3 or the TGS which had the 3DS photograph your face, wrap it onto a 3d character and then project them onto a live feed from the camera on the back. Basically you moved around the 3DS and through it you could see monsters with your face attacking you in the room, which you shot at. Most of the gaming podcasts/websites etc have raved about it... But they'll rave about most anything it seems.

As for the mercinaries game... I've not really heard anything about it, but hopefully you'll be able to have more than two players at once, all playing over wifi in the same room. It'd also be really cool if one of the extra modes they're talking about has some sort of upgrade or advancement mechanic, where you can upgrade and find different weapons that carry over for each level. 

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »

Have you tried the mercenaries mode in resident evil 3?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »

Have you tried the mercenaries mode in resident evil 3?

I actually had to look this up, since I never completed 3, but after researching it I have to say that it looks really interesting. Completely different from the Mercenaries I'm used to, since it's about racing to a certain area instead of scoring points, but looks fun nonetheless.

Too bad I don't recognize any of the characters.

I remember RE2's mercenaries. :|

Man, that was hard as shit.

RE2, according to the RE Wiki, doesn't have a Mercenaries mode. It does have HUNK's debut minigame, "The Fourth Survivor", but no Mercenaries.

I wonder why they remade RE1 and Zero, but not RE2 or RE3? The newer generation will NEVER get to bear witness to the intense badassery of Nemesis! That's just a crime!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:56:25 am »

Well the woman in the blue tube top and black skirt is Jill Valentine.  I don't think any of the other characters survive to appear in any other RE games though if memory serves.  But I have't played it so I wouldn't know for sure.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:32:51 am »

RE2, according to the RE Wiki, doesn't have a Mercenaries mode. It does have HUNK's debut minigame, "The Fourth Survivor", but no Mercenaries.

I wonder why they remade RE1 and Zero, but not RE2 or RE3? The newer generation will NEVER get to bear witness to the intense badassery of Nemesis! That's just a crime!

Turns out I meant 3. =p
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:53 am »

Also Dino crisis 2 is all about scoring points and buying upgrades and better weapons.