Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shameless self-advertising  (Read 1233 times)

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shameless self-advertising
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »

Hey yall,

I'm an aspiring composer and bladabladablada I made a song and want to know what you guys think.

http://soundcloud.com/mirrorirorrim/irrigation-station

See that big ">" in the link? Click it, listen, and comment!  :D

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless self-advertising
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »

You should have announced the genre somewhere obvious. Now my ears are all out of place! >:(
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

I did not like it nor do I like the fact you make this account just to advertise here.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »

I, also, am trying to promote my work - writing rather than music - and I'll pass on a couple tips.

First is, don't create an account just to advertise on a site that's not dedicated to what you're trying to spread the word about.  A lot of places consider that spamming and will ban you right off the bat.  Instead, go for communities you already belong to and participate in, and spread the word there.  If you intend to join a community, put a link to your work in your signature, and participate for a few weeks before trying for the spotlight.

Second, include as much information as possible.  When I post about my book, I include its genre, a general idea of what it's about, and a brief summary as if I were writing to an agent.  Only after all of that do I put a link - that way, people know what to expect.

That said, I'd consider it to be decent techno, but I have a tin ear; never, ever ask me for advice or criticism on music!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:42:53 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

I did not like it nor do I like the fact you make this account just to advertise here.
First is, don't create an account just to advertise on a site that's not dedicated to what you're trying to spread the word about.

Gog first post and I already made people rage.  :o

Sorry!  I just thought that it would be ok to post it in the creative projects part of the forum as a first post. :C

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »

Trust me, I'm not raging.   8)  Still, keep it in mind that it's a matter of courtesy, as well as making sure you don't look like a spam bot.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »

the fact that it started with a title called "Shameless self-advertising" makes this impolite. I doubt that I would have had that reaction if you had named it something pertinant

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »

the fact that it started with a title called "Shameless self-advertising" makes this impolite. I doubt that I would have had that reaction if you had named it something pertinant
Wow, Carrol shenanigans. :o

But the bad response was not because of the title, but mostly because it was his first post on the forum and it was devoted to self-advertising. Come on! It's not a freelancer forum. There's only one guy on this forum who won't be looked bad upon if he shamelessly advertises his work - Toady. He's the boss.

MirrorIrorriM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »

That is simply my sense of humor, sorry if it was misinterpreted.