Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Movies + Songs = Awesome  (Read 799 times)

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Movies + Songs = Awesome
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:06 am »

The past few days I've been making videos from my favorite songs over cuts of my favorite movies. I'm hoping for some opinions and constructive criticism. I'm just getting started on something I've never done before, so I don't need too much discouragement.

Leon the Professional - Explosive
The Matrix - Speed of Sound

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Movies + Songs = Awesome
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:00:40 am »

Okay. Why do you cut them like that? On what basis? Well, I didn't watch any of them far, but the Matrix video seemed to consist of evenly spaced clips of even length regardless of their action and emotional content, and the mood of the song. Also, it seems to be the current trend in music videos to not follow the narrative, that is, make clips flow in non-linear order (a clip from the beginning > a clip from the ending > a clip from the middle), although I haven't looked into the science of this. And I might be not the best critic here, as last few music videos I saw I couldn't understand at all.

... I've just watched through the Matrix video. Well, it might be just one of those videos. What drove you to make it the way you did?

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:07:43 pm »

It changes to match the rhythm/whatever of the song. I'm no musician, I just cut it when I thought was appropriate. I tried to relate the contents of the clips to the lyrics and tune however possible. I think the best example would be the part of it that shows Neo waking up outside of the Matrix for the first time. But more than matching the clips to the words sung I wanted the emotions to stay the same. The part at the end isn't specifically related to Neo's death in any way, but it carries the same general emotional tone, I thought. And those clips actually did, with one or two exceptions, follow the same order as the movie.

Anyway, I did another with Die Hard but the copyright hunters have blocked it worldwide ,_,
You can still download and view the video here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:18:50 pm by madk »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:09:47 am »

Unfortunately I can't play the sound for that video for some reason.
I've rewatched the Matrix video. I dig it up to about 0:48. Before that, the video follows the movements of the song. After that... well, yeah, pretty much nothing happens in the song for a couple of seconds, and likewise nothing happens in the video. But it makes the video not interesting to watch. I think you might have chosen a bad song to set the video to. The Matrix is a really action movie, and a pretty slow song like this might not fit it. Maybe not slow, but kind of soft. After all, they didn't pick the original music for the movie out of thin air.

Clips mustn't follow the chronological order of the movie. I remember why. I believe most of music videos today are influenced by a few producers on MTV a while back who made music videos very quick paced, non-linear. The focus isn't on the story, it's on the camera and editor work. The story should pretty much be ignored, and things like action, gamma and composition should be emphasised.

Also I agree with copyright hunters in that why don't you try to hook-up with some local band and do a music video for them, instead of using famous bands to boost your Youtube channel.