Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

[Filler Poll] How many players do you think will survive?

1~3
- 5 (35.7%)
4~6
- 5 (35.7%)
7~9
- 4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: A good Samaritan in a time of chaos [On Turn 4/10]  (Read 16250 times)

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trade? No, mister elf. I expect you to die!
    • View Profile
A good Samaritan in a time of chaos [On Turn 4/10]
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:07:07 am »

Current Status: Read Turn 3: Part A, Part B and submit your actions!

Hi everyone, welcome to "Good Samaritan" a cooperative, multiplayer, 10 turn game. It's finite and the key structural elements have been planned out, so with enough player interest, it should run to completion. Pacing's set at roughly 1 turn per day - so that it won't stretch into exam season or the holidays.

Turns thus far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The premise: There are zombies everywhere! But there is hope: every night at midnight, a helicopter will arrive at the rooftop helipad of your local hospital to evacuate any survivors. As a band of  brave heroes, you have decided to attract as many survivors as possible to the evacuation site until the last helicopter arrives on the 10th day, taking you with it. You must think creatively and act responsibly to alert the local citizenry to the hospital. For example, make noise or turn on lights: but watch out, if the citizens can see or hear your signal, the zombies probably can too.

Your goal & scoring:

The rules:
Hint: If you've considered the rules closely, you'll realize that putting civilians on the helicopter means points in the score "bank". (And putting yourself on the helicopter means your multiplier is safe forever!) At the same time you'll also realize that not putting folks on the helicopter means you may have more manpower to get things done, potentially attracting more civilians. But due to zombie behavior (see section on Zombies), more civilians=more zombies, thus putting your "un-banked" civilian points at risk. The choice is yours.

About Zombies:

Character Overview
Most actions, provided that they are reasonable will automatically succeed. However, if there is a chance of failure, success will either be determined with a coin toss, or the roll of a 6 sided die. Nevertheless, there are a few vital conditions that you need to be aware of regarding your character.

Sleep
Mobility
Attention
Combat & Weaponry
Injury
Civilians

Players:
Hastur
Dwarmin
Ottofar
Phantom
Kashyyk
Eagle-eye
tehstefan
Thatdude
Kilowatt

Character creation:
-Legal Sex: Male/Female/Other
-Weight: Light/Average/Heavy. Occasionally, your weight may come into play. Both light & heavy are advantageous in certain situations, but disadvantageous in others: consider average as "no effect".
-Select one of the following roles from the list below and provide me with the necessary details. Please note that creativity with what you're given is the most important factor: if you're terribly uncreative, you may want to choose a more generic starting profession. Your starting item, if any, is underlined:
-All listed classes are equal and balanced, though some may be more equal fun than others ;)
-Flavor text is encouraged when posting your character's background!
-Some listed professions may have hidden modifiers - these will be revealed when sign-ups are over (on Turn 0: when participating players and their starting setups are posted).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:50:04 pm by arcadia »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A good Samaritan in a time of chaos
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:47 am »

Im in, I hate to choose whether to play a citizen like myself, or a musician hmm. Can i be a Steve Erwin?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:20:57 am by Hastur »

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 04:26:28 am »

Steve Erwin? I'm not familiar with a Steve Erwin. (Unless you meant Steve Irwin, the deceased Australian wildlife personality? in which case I'd say you can be someone like him instead).

Example:

Hastur: A wildlife enthusiast: Has khaki clothing, sunhat, sunblock, a flashlight, binoculars and a net.

Basically, be anyone you want. Just tell me the role or profession and the list of items. If you can only think of the profession, I'll think of the items. The game is designed in such a way that values interaction with the environment over starting setups. If the team thinks cooperatively and intelligently, the good Samaritans should rescue a fair number and only suffer acceptable casualties.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:43:30 am by arcadia »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 04:42:46 am »

Tell me if this guy is overpowered.

6feet 1 inch. varies between 195 and his more natural 175lbs weight, more muscle during the summer.
Main job: Forest Fire fighter during summer only. Hiking, Digging, Chopping, Chainsawing, Driving.
winter job: accounting and takes college classes.
Hobby: fighting mixed martial arts, watching steaming shows, fighting full contact foam weapons.
misc skills. College Anatomy and physiology, love of science, guitar. listening to podcasts loudly while on the internet

Likely inventory during the summer: Nomex pants shirt shroud, oversharpened combi shovel or oversharpened pulaski axe or chainsaw. cut resistant chaps, hardhat, backpack water, MRE, Logging boots
Likely Winter inventory: Logging boots, 2 shirts, Suede blazer, light leather duster, Breifcase w/anatomy books laptop boxcutter supplies calculator, jeans, neckercheif
typical Car inventory( small 2 seat convertible), Cd's, flashlight, MRE, dorky foam weapons( scimtar, fireaxe, 2 handed cleaver), combi hatchet/hammer/prybar tool, Duffelbag, comb.

I might still take Stever Irwin lookalike, It would be easy to play a hero then. *sniff* If i play this guy i'd be hard to be a martyr

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:50:06 am »

Your character is approved!

Since characters are assumed to have arrived on foot (and thus can only carry whatever by hand & backpack) I'll have to get rid of the car inventory.

You can keep all the clothing items: logging boots, shirts, blazer (clothing is flavor regardless, folks won't need to worry about a stray ankle bite). You won't need the water & MRE, since it's presumed to be stocked and accessible. As for your actual inventory, how would you feel about: Briefcase with anatomy books, box cutter supplies, calculator, and combination shovel. I got rid of the hardhat/laptop due to overlap with the other classes.;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:52:34 am by arcadia »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:00:02 am »

Assuming its not the summer months i wouldn't have the shovel, although it would be a great weapon. maybe I have a guitar and nylon backpack for it? Or I might have my cars multi-tool, or a bowie knife from my collection. These seem like they fit a similar role to the combi shove; (though the combi shovel would be freaking great)

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:21:09 am »

Hmm, if it was the summer, you'd probably be out in the woods anyway. Let's make it an ambiguous transitional month in the fall :P Here's what I have.

Key Overview: Hastur (Male, Heavy, nylon backpack, calculator, bowie knife, combination shovel.
Flavor text:
Well-built at 6feet 1 inch.185lbs weight. A Forest Fire fighter during summer only, he's proficient with hiking, digging, chopping, driving and chainsaws. He passes the time in winter as a part-time account and with his college courses in anatomy and physiology. Other hobbies include: fighting mixed martial arts, watching steaming shows, fighting full contact foam weapons.
misc skills. College Anatomy and physiology, love of science, guitar (self-taught). listening to podcasts loudly while on the internet. He's dressed in logging boots, a slightly weathered leather duster, jeans, a shirt and a suede blazer.

I've updated the Players section with your character. If you want to change any details, or swap any of the 4 items with another that you've mentioned (excepting laptop, guitar, and hardhat due to overlap with listed roles), it's fine by me; just send me a PM. Thanks for your interest!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:07:32 am by arcadia »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 05:25:59 am »

Watching, looks awesome
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:41:31 am »

Name: Desmond Duane
Legal Sex: Male
Weight: Heavy
Role: Chocolatier

Background: Desmond Duane is a no nonsense choclate making fiend from a fancy place downtown called "Sweetness and Light". He runs his kitchen like a German field general-all who work with him either thrive or crumble under his relentless eye. He has always strived for two things-professional perfection and strength of mind. He has a natural tendency to belittle those who dont live up to his standards.

In his off time he's a vocal political activist, amatuer chemist (recipes!), scrabble champ and lover of literature and classic movies. He's a bit of a snob, of course.
He's an avid news hound-internet, paper and radio-and the things he's been picking up about the "plague" are subtle enough to make him worry.

His trip to the hospital was preceded by one of his cooks flipping out and splashing hot water on his arm. He said had "come down with the flu"...he showed up in work clothes!

Job: Chocolate Chef-basic cooking, tool use, basic chemistry, leadership

Phyiscal: Big and heavy Anglo. He would make an imposing, if soft linebacker. Neatly trimmed beard and hair, both dark brown. Face like a horse. His hands dont look used to manual labor...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:22:43 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:44:54 am »

Watching, looks awesome

Likewise.
I might be in if slots aren't snapped up in the next day or so but right now I have little time.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 07:08:09 am »

Mah char is done ^

Tell me if you need anything more!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:44:31 am »

Thanks Metal Militia & Shades for your posts!  8)

Re Dwarmin: Your character looks great! I've added him to the list of players and given him a relevant item. Though your character would be fine, even if you went in empty handed: so don't feel worried about needing to "weaponize" or "itemize" your character's start-up. Nevertheless, let me know if you'd rather have something else - or add to your inventory.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:15:42 am »

Watching, looks awesome

Likewise.
I might be in if slots aren't snapped up in the next day or so but right now I have little time.

This, tomorrow morning, Sleep soon, past midnight. Falling against keyboard. hiybnla...... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:28:12 am »

Thanks Metal Militia & Shades for your posts!  8)

Re Dwarmin: Your character looks great! I've added him to the list of players and given him a relevant item. Though your character would be fine, even if you went in empty handed: so don't feel worried about needing to "weaponize" or "itemize" your character's start-up. Nevertheless, let me know if you'd rather have something else - or add to your inventory.

I'm good with that. Improvised weapons are much funnier!
Also my character will probably cling to the recipes, as being the last feeble remnant of his old life...lucky he brought those!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:41:07 am »

I *would've* joined, but i'm already in a mess of things, including hosting my own game. Which is still recruiting, by the way.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12