Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Compilation of DF Memes  (Read 4685 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Compilation of DF Memes
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

The fact that people still use 'clowns' and 'funhouse' as codewords for hidden fun stuff, which originally began as a kinda humorous way to discuss their existence without spoilers, in such a way that goes out of their way to spoil them, just goes to show that people are just repeating things they see without caring about what is actually being said.

As much as I hate to lay it out like this, it's just like how people endlessly quote Monty Python bits, especially from Holy Grail.  Or Portal's jokes.  Those bits are humorous because they're clever and original- mindlessly parroting them years after everyone's already heard 'em literally goes against what makes them good in the first place, especially when the context isn't proper.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »

As much as I hate to lay it out like this, it's just like how people endlessly quote Monty Python bits, especially from Holy Grail.  Or Portal's jokes.  Those bits are humorous because they're clever and original- mindlessly parroting them years after everyone's already heard 'em literally goes against what makes them good in the first place, especially when the context isn't proper.
What are you going to do, bleed on me?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:45:22 pm by calrogman »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 07:58:42 pm »

One must strive, for good or for ill, to be skillful at all they do.   You can do better.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »

Salt the earth!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »

The fact that people still use 'clowns' and 'funhouse' as codewords for hidden fun stuff, which originally began as a kinda humorous way to discuss their existence without spoilers, in such a way that goes out of their way to spoil them, just goes to show that people are just repeating things they see without caring about what is actually being said.

You can't stop it. Just sit back, shut up and watch us ruin your Fun.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »

You can't stop it. Just sit back, shut up and watch us ruin your Fun.

Indeed.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 10:05:12 pm »

Oh no, not my fun...

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »

Your happiness then?
Or maybe your self confidence? We aren't picky.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:53 pm »

As I recall "THEM FUCKIN DWARFS, MAN!" was at one point a DF meme.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »

Your happiness then?
Or maybe your self confidence? We aren't picky.

On a hill, near a village, lived a hermit who had dedicated his life to the study of bunraku performance.  He knew that often the village had celebrations wherein the youths would occasionally try their hand at recreations of the delicate art of combining the acts of puppeteering and music to tell fantastic stories of both ages past, and those fabricated on the spot.  After many years, the hermit had made his way down into town to check up on the current state of his beloved art, only to become horrified.  At the center of town was a mockery of what was his core pleasure in life- the villagers had circled with the village's prized bunraku equipment; the puppets, the shamisens, and the drums.

One youth spoke:  "This puppet looks funny," he said, while holding it up by an arm.  "Laugh."
Another replied:  "This shamisen has been handed down for ages." he plucked at it, holding the tortoise-shell plectrum with the wrong fingers.  "Remember."
A third added:  "This drum is large."  He struck at it, with no power in his wrists.  "Become fearful!"

The hermit spake unto them, about the glory of successful bunraku of past years, and how the tools they held were not nearly as important as the hands that held them, and the mind that drove those hands.  Becoming enraged at this, assuming the simple criticism- which came from a place of honesty within the monk's heart- as insult; that they must adhere to his dated ways and stop having fun!  The villagers threatened to shake the puppets wildly, pluck the strings harshly, and smash on the drums with no care for rhythm or power.

"We hope this angers you!  We hope you know there's nothing you can do to stop us!"

And the monk shrugged, for this was true.  He could do nothing to stop them.  And yet he had enough hope within him to smile, because he knew that with enough shaking, enough discordant sour notes, and enough feeble beats, the villagers might grow bored and move on to other things.  But deeper within was a stronger hope- the hope that through their cacophony, the villagers may one day learn to move the puppet with grace, pluck the strings in a soothing manner, and develop the muscle to strike the drum with fervor. 

Zen Edit:  Modified one line for clarification.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:55:52 pm by Capntastic »

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »

As I recall "THEM FUCKIN DWARFS, MAN!" was at one point a DF meme.

DEM DORFS MAN

DEM FUCKIN DORFS
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 10:54:28 pm »

It actually is mildly irritating. HFS was a term used by Toady to lump together
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So that people who wanted to find that stuff out for themselves could.

And then a bunch of people thought it would be funny to start drawing up euphemisms like clowns, goblinite, etc... forcing and spamming their memes related to DF everywhere on the forums and confusing the hell out of newbies and old DF players like us (Yes, get off my lawn) who just want goblins to be goblins and demons to be demons and not have magma or killing elves be the answer to every single bloody question asked on the forums. Yes, it was amusing the first ten thousand times.

It's like people want to be part of some secretive 'DF cool kids club' that mastered the game and speak in secret code.

Listen to Capntastic, this monk says so.
Spoiler: Tigerbalm (click to show/hide)

And it's not cool. 4chan can be occasionally funny- These forums forcing memes for a euphemism that was originally a euphemism to begin with is just dumb.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:57:15 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 11:26:34 pm »

No one will forget, Demon Mouse! Tastes like SAAAAAAaaaataaaaan!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:30 pm »

This needs more evil Elves.

Oh, don't forget the obssession with socks.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 11:43:22 pm »

Story

Cool story, bro.

Sorry, tried hard, but the irony of it was overwhelming, so it had to be said.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5