Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desktop Backgrounds  (Read 5769 times)

modman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • and then the mod said, "let there be newbs!"
    • View Profile
Desktop Backgrounds
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:12:13 pm »

I usually have a lot of free-time in my graphics design class because I finish all my assignments early, so I've spent that time making backgrounds for my school/home desktop, and I'd like some opinions!

this is my most recent background, a simple advertisement for gmod. this is personally my favorite.

a portal background I used for an assignment. I based it off the song, "The Device has been Modified"

I'm trying to get fairly good at graphics design because it's something I'm looking into, so if anyone has any suggestions or even a background idea, please share.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:46:57 am »

A 1366 by 768 Alien Swarm (a free source game on Steam) inspired desktop.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:53 am »

Something TTGL.

I was going to say "something awesome TTGL" but that's just being redundant.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:32 am »

A futuristic coat of arms.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:42:04 am »

Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:32 pm »

I've heard of coats made of fur, but appendages? That's new.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:51 pm »

As a (freelance) graphic designer myself, I would suggest you learn as much as possible about as much as possible (2D, 3D, old school methods (pulling off Photoshop and other similar program-like effects with actual solid materials, and not a computer), computer art, how to animate, how to program (for stuff like Flash objects, same applies to animate), how to research (not only for your client, but also how to legally avoid copyright infringements that accidentally occurs, how to do simple and complex art/design tricks); simply put, the list just goes on. Make your horizons of skill/ability and knowledge of subjects as broad as possible, and not just specialized in one field or genre (like games only, for example; no offense); and just as well, you can still be professional with simple things. Not everything needs to look like something out of a graphic designer's magazine.

In this industry, you have to be on your feet, and be able to understand exactly what your clients want and need. Sometimes the two don't overlap, or at least well; and if you're feeling nice, you can sneak in an overlap, and not charge it. Depending on client, it also helps to help them save a buck in the long run by giving them advice before/during/after you do work for them, provided they're willing to listen. Sometimes, it can guarantee you more work from them. At least, I tend to work on a "help save a buck, gain a buck" principle in that matter. It helped me get better reviews that way as well, also because it helped my clients understand not only how much work actually goes behind their product (whether a simple effect is actually harder than it looks, or a crazy effect is actually just a  few simple steps), but how easy other things can be done, as simple as optimizing a file to make it smaller in file size, but still retain all it's details, even with a simple extension change (like .PNG vs. .BMP or .TIFF).

But by far the best advice I can provide, provided you can afford to yourself, is take as many college courses relevant to your field of study as much as possible. You don't need to go as far as a Bachelor's or a Master's Degree, though they do help a bit (granted I only have my Associate's Degree); just learn as much as freaking possible within your budget's means, and do as much research as possible about the field itself befoore diving headlong into it.

As for the Coat of Arms idea, I want to remake my family coat of arms now. It would look badass.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »

Something TTGL.

I was going to say "something awesome TTGL" but that's just being redundant.

This.

And posting to watch, those two already up are pretty good. I tend to favor darker (brightness, not mood) and simplistic backgrounds, and you've hit the nail on the head for my tastes. That Portal one is my new background :P

modman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • and then the mod said, "let there be newbs!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:45:55 am »

This.

And posting to watch, those two already up are pretty good. I tend to favor darker (brightness, not mood) and simplistic backgrounds, and you've hit the nail on the head for my tastes. That Portal one is my new background :P
glad you like it!
As a (freelance) graphic designer myself, I would suggest you learn as much as possible about as much as possible (2D, 3D, old school methods (pulling off Photoshop and other similar program-like effects with actual solid materials, and not a computer), computer art, how to animate, how to program (for stuff like Flash objects, same applies to animate), how to research (not only for your client, but also how to legally avoid copyright infringements that accidentally occurs, how to do simple and complex art/design tricks); simply put, the list just goes on. Make your horizons of skill/ability and knowledge of subjects as broad as possible, and not just specialized in one field or genre (like games only, for example; no offense); and just as well, you can still be professional with simple things. Not everything needs to look like something out of a graphic designer's magazine.

In this industry, you have to be on your feet, and be able to understand exactly what your clients want and need. Sometimes the two don't overlap, or at least well; and if you're feeling nice, you can sneak in an overlap, and not charge it. Depending on client, it also helps to help them save a buck in the long run by giving them advice before/during/after you do work for them, provided they're willing to listen. Sometimes, it can guarantee you more work from them. At least, I tend to work on a "help save a buck, gain a buck" principle in that matter. It helped me get better reviews that way as well, also because it helped my clients understand not only how much work actually goes behind their product (whether a simple effect is actually harder than it looks, or a crazy effect is actually just a  few simple steps), but how easy other things can be done, as simple as optimizing a file to make it smaller in file size, but still retain all it's details, even with a simple extension change (like .PNG vs. .BMP or .TIFF).

But by far the best advice I can provide, provided you can afford to yourself, is take as many college courses relevant to your field of study as much as possible. You don't need to go as far as a Bachelor's or a Master's Degree, though they do help a bit (granted I only have my Associate's Degree); just learn as much as freaking possible within your budget's means, and do as much research as possible about the field itself befoore diving headlong into it.

As for the Coat of Arms idea, I want to remake my family coat of arms now. It would look badass.

i appreciate the advice. i've never actually gotten to work with much until now

also, if you would like larger versions of the my backgrounds, you can download them from my devaint page: http://m0dm4n.deviantart.com/

EDIT: when you guys say TTGL, you do mean Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann, right?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:51:50 am by modman »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:50:36 am »

You know someone is a good artist if they have a Deviantart page.